After his first 2 years, you think Sam is our franchise QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 29, 2019.

?

Is Darnold our franchise QB?

1. Definitely YES

30.7%
  2. Likely Yes

52.0%
  3. Likely No

14.7%
  4. Definitely NO

2.7%
  1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

How do you feel?

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes. I do. He’s very clearly got the talent to be a franchise quarterback and the mistakes that he’s making aren’t all that uncharacteristic for a 22-year-old. There’s nothing I see that isn’t correctable with time and experience (and some talent around him). He’s gotten absolutely no help from his offensive line or his coaching staff and unfortunately I only see one of those things working themselves out next year.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think he likely is, but there is also a solid chance the Jets f*ck it all up first.

Have to get rid of Gase and upgrade the OL, and it make take 2 years to accomplish both.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I want 16 games out of Darnold before I say yes, I am encouraged, I have always been encouraged but I want to see a whole season without a mid season meltdown an injury or sickness

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't know.

Do I envision him one day being league MVP? Offensive player of the year? Reaching the heights that Mahommes has reached?

I don't know. Right now my answer would be no but I can't say for sure that he won't. He hasn't been Sanchez-Geno terrible, he also hasn't wowed me all that much.

He needs to stay healthy. He needs to be much more consistant.

I think the Jets should still keep all options on the table not put all their eggs in the Darnold basket.

94Abraham and Jets69 like this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Verdict is still out. Shows signs of it but still makes too many rookie mistakes. No quick evaluation on Darnold. It will take at least one more full season, a more talented roster and upgraded OL before any long-term judgement can be made.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He ain't no Derek Carr... :confused:

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yes, but he needs help.

Fire Dowell Loggains, hire an OC that will challenge Gase, and hire a QB coach whose sole purpose is to fix Sam's mechanics.

Douglas needs to find 2 or 3 new offensive linemen and a wide receiver.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Definitely. He just needs some help, Herndon and an o line will go along way. mid expect him to be above 65%comp 3/1 td/int ratio next season easily.

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He gets a big incomplete. He still is good for one or two bonehead throws a game that he needs to clean up on and doesnt see the whole field at times. I would want to see him play a full slate of 16 games next year to make an accurate assumption.

#10 94Abraham, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Yes, but by the time we have an OL and a decent set of WRs, he’ll probably be in his contract year with some question marks still hanging over him.

KurtTheJetsFan and fansince90 like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

For the love of all that is holy, Joe Douglas needs to build an offensive line for Sam.

Pepsiguy5, fansince90 and FJF like this.
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

He reminds me of Matt Stafford...not sure if that's a good or bad thing but hes good enough to build a team around and make the playoffs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

Stafford is a pretty darn good QB mired in a perpetually bad organization.

oh shit

jixxjr, Sec124DieHard, Brook! and 8 others like this.
  15. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

16. Waiting Since 68

Waiting Since 68 New Member

Get him a solid OL

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I say likely yes ... but to me it just means he'll be our starter for the next ten years or so.
    I haven't seen anything that shows me he'll be anything special. I'd say we're looking at a solid but not elite career. Something similar to Andy Dalton, Carson Palmer, maybe Matt Hasselbeck.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Shouldn't there be some consensus on exactly what a franchise quarterback is before polling?

Some here believe every number one quarterback is a franchise guy; others are looking for a Hall of Famer.

Here's what Wikipedia says: "In professional sports, a franchise player is an athlete who is both the best player on their team and one that the team can build their "franchise" around for the foreseeable future. The term may be used alongside a particular position name to describe a player, such as a "franchise quarterback" in American football."
    This guy at Bleacher Report goes a lot deeper and his explanation rings a lot more true for me: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/227222-what-is-a-franchise-quarterback-exactly

The problem is there are dozens of definitions, descriptions and criteria, all a bit different. In trying to find a couple of succinct definitions I came across questions about various NFL guys, at least a couple were already asking if Mason Rudolph was a franchise quarterback. Did Roethlisberger pass away quietly? Or can a team have more than one FQB at a time?

To address Brook's question at the top here, I can't vote - there's no "Too soon to tell" button, but the way the question is worded in the present tense makes it clear that the correct answer today is "Definitely NO"

#18 Ralebird, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  19. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

There is not much more to say that has not been said already. He needs to get smarter and stronger, his deep ball is shallow.

20. BacktoQueens

Question from another thread I was discussing with @BrowningNagle

Do you guys feel Darnold improved this season, compared to where he left off the last quarter of last season?

As a bonus question, do you guys feel ANY offensive player improved this season as compared to last season?