Top 10 Reasons for hope in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm also fairly optimistic on the Jets improving. I'm kind of agnostic on Adam Gase. I was never that high on him getting hired but at the same time I've never been anywhere freaking near as down on him as a lot of the posters here have been. If nothing else he's at least an "offensive guy" and Sam at least seems to work well with him.

I really feel like if the Jets can come up with two new good OL guys somehow, plus not have all their key players succumb to injury early and often like happened this year the improvement could be very significant. Like even make the playoffs and perhaps win a game significant. Not saying it will be easy but I think its very possible.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

life of a jet fan :)

hornblower and Brook! like this.
  3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

No matter how shitty the NY Jets are in 2020 (learned over the years that it's always best to expect the worst), they probably will never lose two games to two stink-ridden winless teams late in a season again. The odds of this happening a second time to any NFL team must be astronomical. Of all the Jet "achievements" through the years, this one is shaping up to be a once in a lifetime Kodak moment.

Your solicitation of false hope and optimism is greatly appreciated during this holiday season, however, ain't buying it with the current head coach in tow. Going into a shell last week during the final minutes and giving Duck Duck Goose, not one, but two chances to win the game is all you have to know about the current stiff at the helm. Imagine giving any professional level QB two chances to win a game in the last few of minutes of the 4th? Most will burn you if you give them just one chance.

And this was a game where the Jets had nothing to play for, since they were already out of playoff contention due to their alarming propensity to lose to the lowest of the low cellar dwellars. Should be loads of fun to watch this outfit operate if they every happen to get their sorry asses in a meaningful late November or December game with some semblance of pressure associated to it.

Either fire the jackass or continue to hang with the NFL bottom-feeders; it appears the decision has been made. Good times to say the least...

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally concur. A ton of great points on this thread. Unfortunately, Jet fans will always be divided into three camps. The optimist sees light at the end of the tunnel every single year. The realist sees areas of personnel improvement needed to succeed, starting with Sam Darnold. The pessimist on the other hand sees no hope, hardly ever, but for now we are doomed till Gase is fired and we start all over again. Of course that guaranties nothing at all but the possibility of more disasters, where by we immediately determine that we need to fire the new guy.
    I’m not a big fan of Gase but our best option is that he proves us all dead wrong in 2020. The idea of starting over with yet another coach based on our ownership selection history is totally unappealing.

hornblower likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We have a lot to look forward to. Finishing 2020 at 8-8 or 9-7 will in itself be a marked improvement, just based on the killer schedule next season against the NFL's top teams and all the west coast road games. 2021 after two FA periods and two drafts to stock the team is where it's going to happen. The team (and Sam) will be in it's 3rd consecutive season with the same coaches and the same offense and defensive schemes, with a whole raft of new and improved players.

The arrow is pointing up for a change.

LAJet, hornblower and FJF like this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

2 out of 3 IS BAD when we are talking about the Brothers Johnson and Gase and then throwing in Darnold = yes we can hope as far as Darnold goes but the others I just mentioned = No Hope

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS Joe W said its best to expect the worst, like losing to two not one but two winless teams. If the OL, WR , CB and PR are not addressed adequately, this team will be no better then this years team and may even be worse based on the strength of schedule. IN addition, I really do not understand how posters believe that AG is the answer? I mean he is a losing HC, his Offenses -except for the one year in Denver - have been lower tier and very predicable and very conservative.

I hope I am wrong and they kick ass but frankly I only see 2/3 of the team being coached well. So unless AG has a epiphany (which I doubt because he is an stubborn and arrogant) this O will be no better. They only saving grace will be if the light goes on for SAM and he starts to audible the hell out of some of the stupid plays that AG calls...

8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The entirety of next year will be determined based on off-season roster moves and whether Gase improves as a coach going into next year.

9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

So you're saying we are screwed and should root for a different team next year....

hornblower likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If Douglas doesn't have a great offseason we're heading towards more annual suckitude on the level of the Lions, Bungles and Browns. That's as bad as it gets.

FJF likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

We're gonna suck either way as long as Gase is calling the plays. I hope Douglas does well but he will get more than this one draft. Gase on the other hand is garbage.

truthbtold and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily if we get serious talent upgrades at key positions. Douglas gets no free pass just because it's his first draft. He needs to nail this offseason regardless if Gase is calling the plays or not.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Probably, lol

14. J-Raw24

He needs to add talent on that we agree. But as long as he adds decent talent hr doesn't have to "knock it out of the park". As long as its not a idzik draft he will be ok. I hope he has an amazing draft. But honestly he will be here 3-4 years regardless. It will take him 2 drafts minimum to fix this team.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I need whatever it is you're smoking.

16. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yup, his free pass was this year. Not many GM's get to evaluate their team for an entire season before making a single draft pick or sign any significant FA's. JD has to hit it out of the park...

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2nd best record in the league the last 8 weeks.

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The biggest reason is your # 8. With MacCagnan FINALLY gone, we might finally have a successful offseason. This means NOT forking out millions guys like Trumaine, Revis, Wilk, even Bell, etc. and finally drafting a few quality players -- RIP Hackenberg, Mauldin, Lee, Stewart Hansen, Petty, Leo, Smith, etc. A novel concept--draft some offensive lineman, unless you like Darnold on the ground.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's green, just like our Jets, if that helps!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I didn't really know where to put this, but since it was a comment made by Sam at the beginning of this past season, looking ahead to what we could expect, I thought it appropriate to "tap the brakes" with it: (https://nypost.com/2019/12/31/sam-darnold-adam-gase-at-crossroads-with-jets-offense/)

"A few days before the Jets season opened, a reporter asked Sam Darnold what the personality of the 2019 Jets offense would be.

“Electric,” Darnold responded. “It will be fun to watch us and hopefully we are going to put up a lot of points.”

Maybe THAT'S the problem! The Jets offense runs on electricity and somebody forgot to pay the power company!

I'm not beating up on Darnold because he's young and confident and he should feel like he can beat anyone. But it underscores the high level of optimism most people - including me - felt before we got to see Adam Gase in action. Dead last in offense! Marginal improvement in Darnold. Unable to figure out how to use the highest paid player on offense. These are just the low lights of what Gase "accomplished" on top of his mediocre - at best - record with Miami.

And we still have Adam Gase as HC for 2020. Hope? Nope.