Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Just saw this elsewhere...man, I know about Tannehill but yeah throw in guys like Drake and Parker breaking out post-Gase too, yikes

CBG, BacktoQueens, NYJetsO12 and 5 others like this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Brutal.

Strap in boys.

We're in for a rough ride...:confused:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I honestly don't give a shit if Gase said this or Mehturd made it up. Next year there are no excuses. If injuries are on the same level it's his fault because there is clearly an issue with his methods or his staff. If the OL isn't better ditto. Same for anything of the other get out of jail free cards he could reasonably play this year. Just show me a competitive team. I don't care how much of a dick he appears to be if he does this.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Drive-by journalism from Manish Mehta. Surprise, surprise, surprise...

If there's anything newsworthy in the piece it's that muck-raking is back in style again. The only line in the article that is attributed is the unfortunate quote from Gase at 0-4. He couldn't say "Sam had mono and we've been playing an NFL third stringer for 3 other games and our o-line blows chunks." He couldn't not comment at all given his role as an NFL head coach and the nature of the tristate media, despite really being in a no comment situation. He had no outs and he chose to just give an honest assessment of what he thought of his choices during that span. For that unfortunate trap he was criticized at the time and now has been hit again by a press that would hang the repeated failures of the prior regime to bring in offensive talent on him.

The Jets are 6-5 since then and averaging 20+ points a game with that same crappy OL. Not great stuff, but who saw them hanging losses on the Cowboys, Raiders and Steelers based on their personnel at the quarter pole?

Can't criticize that effectively and so away we go back to that moment when Gase had nothing productive to say but wasn't allowed to no comment and oh yeah, let's drag in some anonymous irrelevant shit to turn it into a story.

Like I said, drive-by journalism.

I'm not a Gase fan but I hate the muckrakers worse at this point. I've had enough of Mehta's crap to last a lifetime and Cimini's stuff while not as bad is getting pretty tiresome also. Spending all of last December saying the Jets had to sign Bell and now implying that it is somehow Gase's fault that the Jets have not gotten more out of him when it was clear that wasn't in the cards given the crappy OL that Maccagnan put together before he was fired is pretty rank.

jonnyd, BrowningNagle, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Not sure Manish made this burner account.

The account dates back to when Gase was hired, which is also when Manish was praising the hire like Gase was the next Bill Walsh, none of the tweets coincide with times the Jets have practice or games, and the account shares the same name as Gase's son Wyatt.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The evidence supporting the notion that Gase is a terrible head coach is overwhelming and look no further than this notion right here. If you will still have people here throwing up a straw man and pretending like everyone is calling Tannehill the best quarterback in the league. That’s just a defense mechanism.

Noam likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

And the hits keep coming. Gase better take figure out how to coach quick, because if he keep coaching like he is then he won't even be able to get an oc job soon. Gonna be funny when he's gone completely from the NFL. Maybe we should make a list of the Gase fan club on here so we can make sure they know how dumb they were being.

Noam likes this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Drake was doing nothing in MIA before he was traded to ARI where he’s been much better in their system so no, won’t give you that.

Fitzpatrick was also traded to a MUCH better defense where they are near the top of the league in sacks, with that comes improved DB play and MF can do what he does best, even Haden is playing better in PITT, won’t give you that.

Parker there was a rift there, even his agent lashed out, Parker tried to downplay this though but between the injuries in the past, him now being healthy and a hurt Tannehill (shoulder for half the season, other 5 games was Brock Osweiler) not throwing him the ball, he’s been great. I’ll give you that one.

Tannehill tore his knee in 2017, came back 2018 and then hurt his shoulder middle of the season. He finished the season not good so maybe the shoulder was still bothering him. Nonetheless, he goes to the Titans and he really has played great, Id say he’s finally healthy and to boot, has an excellent oline/run game to compliment him.

btw I’m Adam Gase.

Aero likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Great idea!

We can have an inquisition and water board the heretics.

10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Awful journalism by Mehta. Why does the News allow a reporter to make it personal.? I don't care if Gase is the right coach for the Jets. When he gets better players we will have a better idea. Really sad stuff that this media person still has a job.

11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Jordan Phillips cut mid yr. 7 sacks for Buffalo

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't buy the better players part. He had three years to get better players in Miami (with at least some power over the roster), and his best season was his first one. But yeah Manish has been terrible for years, I have no idea how he's still allowed in the Jets facilities.

SOJAZ, CBG and J-Raw24 like this.
  13. J-Raw24

Thats the thing with Gase. He had control to bring in some talent. They were obviously listening to him. He was helping destroy their chances... they went from playoffs to crap under him. And the thing is his playoff year was his first year. I can't give him a ton of credit for it because the team that took him there was prebuilt. Its not like Gruden in Tampa either, Dungy built that, but Gruden built the Oakland team he had to beat.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's also the fact that Gruden won the Super Bowl whereas Gase got in as a wild card with a negative point differential and got blown out in the first round (albeit with Matt Moore at QB in the playoff game).

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

I agree. All signs still point to Gase being a bad coach. And so far this year hasn't shown any different. We are stick with him next year. But hopefully it will be his last. And hopefully Douglas gets to pick his replacement and gets us someone good.

16. You guys have lost me w the extreme irrational hatred.

Skepticism even at an extreme level i can buy & even relate to.But im sorry..theres zero objectivity or reasonability w this whole thing.

This boils down to the fact that he coached the dolphins,has an abrasive personality & he isnt Mike mccarthy. Ive read all the arguments & the like..and its painfully obvious.

Perhaps you guys will get your way..we’ll fire Gase..run into the same problem the cards did after firing a HC after 1 season where the same people complaining now will be complaining that nobody wants to come here.Meanwhile we’ll draft OL w every single pick & the same people whining for this will write the OL off for needing time to develop & will complain about all the other positional players we passed on.

Rinse & repeat.

#3196 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2019
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I've said this before and I'll probably say it again: you can't judge Gase by what he did in Miami in his first head coaching opportunity for a historically bad ownership and franchise. He made the playoffs once in three years and was mediocre in two others. His record there looked a helluva a lot like Bill Belichik's record in Cleveland before he was fired except Belichik got five years and made the playoffs once and was mediocre as hell four other times for a historically bad ownership and franchise.

Gase has looked out of his depth at times here this year and fine at others. Belichik went 5-13 in New England before he found Brady through no significant act of prescience and saved his job there. He had given Bledsoe a $103 million dollar contract a short 6 months before Mo knocked him out and saved the Pats from Belichik and themselves.

None of this means that Gase is even a good coach let alone anywhere near the level that Belichik has achieved since being saved from himself by a lucky hit on his starting QB. What it means is that we have no idea if Gase is a good coach or not but others have overcome similarly rocky starts and been great alongside all those whose rocky start was indicative of their actual level of ability.

The only thing that Gase and Belichik really have in common at the same point in their careers is an over-exposure to bad ownership and franchises in general.

Anybody who is not willing to give Gase another shot after what we've seen this year is just begging for the next disaster to roll over them instead. It may be that at this time next year it is clear that Gase was never going to get the job done. There are other outcomes though and based on where we are with Sam Darnold it is far better for Gase to get a second year with him with some competent talent evaluation and drafting backing them both up. Having Darnold see three head coaches in his first three seasons is like a full-on disaster in the making. We might get lucky with an offensive genius but we're much more likely just to stunt Darnold's growth if we remove a source of stability for him at this juncture.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Point out the part of the article that is not accurate. Be specific.

Argue with these facts:

"The data is overwhelming. Gase, who is 29-35 in four seasons as a head coach, has lost 26 games by double digits, 22 by at least two touchdowns, and 12 by at least 20 points.

On average, he loses once every four games by at least 18 points, which is a mind-blowing reality for a coach with a history of either winning white-knucklers or getting blown out.

Gase has lost one in three games by at least two touchdowns in his head coaching career. One out of every 2.5 games results in a double-digit defeat.​

Gase has actually made the offense worse in every meaningful statistical category this season.

Consider the irrefutable facts: The Jets are worse in 2019 than 2018 in points per game (20.8 to 17.5), total yards (299.2 to 273.1), yards per play (4.9 to 4.6), first downs per game (16.1 to 15.7), passing yards (197.8 to 195.1), rushing yards (101.4 to 78.1), rushing yards per attempt (4.0 to 3.3), third-down efficiency (32 percent to 30 percent) and plays per game (60.7 to 59.4).

The offense has regressed by every objective measure going from former play-caller Jeremy Bates to Gase.

Gase’s offense ranks in the bottom three in the league in total yards, rushing, passing, yards per play, third-down efficiency, and first downs."
    Shooting the messenger does not invalidate the message.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s a bit dishonest, Sam has better numbers thru 12 games this year than he had with bates thru 13 games last year.
    Gase was hired to improve darnold and the teams win totals. So far he is 2-2.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Mehta article is pure trash. It even reads like a fictional story, overly dramatic and emotional. Jets fans deserve better than this