Tom Coughlin is available, any takers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 19, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Tom Coughlin was fired yesterday by the Jaguars:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/the-sad-chaotic-ending-of-tom-coughlins-jaguars-chapter/

I was a strong proponent for the Jets signing him as Pres. or VP of Football Ops, but based on his apparently rigid ideology, I'm not so sure now. It's one thing to be sure of yourself, it's another to be inflexible to the point where you can't get consensus. Too bad, because he has a huge store of knowledge of what it takes to win championships. Maybe after some time off - maybe about next year when the Jets are floundering again - h'd be a good choice.

What think you?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Time for tom to be put out to pasture. Should be a h.o.f. Coach but his time has past

PabloJa, NYJ79, Ralebird and 7 others like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

You might be right. While I like his "old school" approach, I don't think it plays well today.

But maybe as a consultant, he might have some value. Anything to help the Johnsons overcome their ignorance.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think he'd be a great addition to the Buffalo Bills.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. No thanks. He was trying too much to be the disciplinary coach in the VP of Football operations position.

For what it's worth, they've drafted pretty damn well since he's been there. That might be more of a positive for Caldwell. But they've drafted some studs.

Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue, Chark, Westbrook, Fournette, Ramsey etc.

And then they also signed Nick Foles to a monster deal.

Vahncase likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets should try working on being mediocre first, before they can aim to go higher.

From the way Jacksonville was playing this year, I'd say Coughlin isn't someone that will elevate the Jets to mediocrity, let alone playoff contender.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Let him get his feet wet somewhere else first. Then when he hits his prime, boom, snatch him up.

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Its not the off season so why such a stupid thread. This site has really gone downhill

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I would happily bring him in to replace the owner.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who cares.

Beats talking about the Steelers... :confused:

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The only taker for Tom Coughlin should be an undertaker.

PabloJa, twown and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Coughlin is no idiot. But todays softer league just doesn't seem for him. But it wasn't that long ago that he won multiple Super Bowls. The guy still knows football and can provide valuable insight just maybe more suited for a senior consultant type role. I certainly wouldn't mind him advising a new/young GM like Douglas here and there. Having him in the org would be a plus. Also if Gase totally falls flat on his face next season you could always just tell Coughlin to coach the team for a year or two while we look for the next guy

I wasn't a fan of Rex towards the end but one of the better parts of his regime was that he'd bring in his dad Buddy from time to time, he had Callahan here assisting him, he brought Tom Moore in. All these little things helped

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Would take him over Gase in a heartbeat....But his time in the NFL is over...JAX has gone downhill since there AFC title game appearance a few years back..Looks like there making him the scapegoat something NFL owners have to do so it reflects blame off themselves.Its a neat trick they do every year so they dont look bad as owners..They fire a few people to trick the public into thinking it was someone elses fault.

16. ColoradoContrails

That's (the bold) was what I was thinking a good role for him would be. That said, I want to see what Douglas can do, and I don't want to see a tug of war between him and Coughlin if Coughlin has other ideas and isn't flexible. I think by this time next year we'll have a much better idea of whether Douglas is the answer, or we need to look at either getting him some experienced help like a Coughlin, or getting someone new.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Obviously no

however I hate to agree with sheep/people
    Plus Maggie and Bart said no so that’s an immediate flag to do the opposite

so I change to yes
    Bring him in
    2 Super Bowls and good ethics and morals

better than any other human in the shit hole jets organization on day 1

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

PFT talked a bit about this today. They said it's really hard for a former HC to take an front office position...the 'HC' in them always has them getting in the way. Parcelles struggled with it too. Coaching the players and running the offense/defense is in their blood, and they have a hard time stepping back and watching someone else do it.

Pass.

19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you on this one. In theory Coughlin knows a ton about football. But let's give Douglas a chance. He may end up being the best thing to happen to the Jets in a very long time. I have my hopes. Or he may be more garbage. But bringing in someone like Coughlin may create a power struggle, unintentionally. Let Douglas do his thing and hope for the best.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I'm optimistic about Douglas. He was dealt a miserable hand and a late start when he assumed the GM role but he did show right away that he knew where this team was deficient and he tried to desperately plug those holes and was very active in scooping up whatever offensive line and secondary help was out there. He was raised in some of the better NFL organizations...now granted that doesn't always mean much. Plenty of guys have come out of New England and been either ordinary or outright bad, but I do feel that Douglas will end up an above average GM

Idzik was a joke. Mac didn't truly understand his role. He was too passive, indecisive, and seemingly never had a concrete vision for this team. Douglas I think has a better understanding of how to win in the NFL

I've been out of patience for a while now with the Jets, but maybe I can muster up some for JD. I sure hope he can establish a scouting network that we can believe in and find those gems in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round. The good teams always do. Heck we used to find guys like Pouha, Cotchery, Kerry Rhodes, Coles, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Shonn Greene in those rounds. And it helped us

#20 JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    kevda5n9ne and ColoradoContrails like this.