How do we fix the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 16, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually you might "reach", but keep in mind that term is very subjective and relative. With hindsight you can see that a lot of players taken later in the 1st and other rounds actually are better than where they were ranked by the "experts". SOme of that is due to misjudging their raw ability and makeup, but also it has to do with how they fit into their new team's system. So that means you need to be very clear about what your team's needs are, and how a given player will fit in, thus a player ranked at #20 may actually be a #1 level fit for you, so taking him at your first opportunity is sensible, not a "reach".

In the Jets situation, it's a 5 alarm fire as far as their OL goes, meaning that has to be the absolute priority. To put it another way, they need to practice triage: while a patient isn't breathing, if they're bleeding heavily, you first stop the bleeding. The Jets OLsituation is a sucking chest wound.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A team shouldn't reach and overpay, but a team also cannot go into the season with Brandon Shell, Jonotthan Harrison, and Tom Compton as starters.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you believe the Jets can contend next year you overpay. I don't think we can. I would draft or trade out to fill needs at value. I would be willing to overpay in FA for journeymen who can hold the fort if we only have to overpay them for a year or two. If you can cut them without a big dead money hit it's worth it.

Jonathan_Vilma and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree some people are better then their draft position . Those are sleepers or steals or just great picks.. I'm a Maxx Crosby fan, kid is way better than his draft position and I hope we get a few picks like this and hope Blessuan Austin is one for us.

I disagree with OL being so needed we overpay a guard and right tackle and draft in a tunnel for o line help. Again Dallas oline is stacked and they will be lucky to get to the playoffs.

Yes we need o line and I hope we address it early in the draft. But I think trading back and getting more picks if Thomas isn't there is the best solution. The extra picks can be used to fill needs. I think Austin Jackson (who could be the best left tackle in the draft), and/or Jederick Wills (anothet good LT prospect) will be available between 15-20. I think Walker Little (another really good LT prospect and probably top 10 pick before injury) will be avaiable at our 2nd pick.

I also like Gage Cervenka at center in the 4th if we miss Humphrey. He has a wrestling background and is very agile, great feet, nice hands. Needs refined a little but very solid.

If we take a WR in the first round it still fits a need and there are still very good players available later on o line. This is an extremely deep o line draft. Don't over pay or reach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

I agree with them being shit on the line BUT. There are better ways to fix it.

6. ColoradoContrails

"Overpay" is a relative term. Even so, sometimes you have to. Your furnace stops running on Christmas day and the temp is single digits, you "overpay" to get a guy to come and fix it. You have a swiss cheese OL that puts your FQB at risk on every single down, you "overpay" to fix it.

That said, maybe if a true, "can't miss" pass rusher or WR is there, AND you could likely grab a starting-level OL with your next pick, maybe you roll the dice in that case, but all their decisions have to be weighed against how quickly and how well they can protect Darnold.

7. ColoradoContrails

I don't disagree with your general philosophy here, and fully agree with wanting to trade back to get more picks. In fact - and you didn't say this - I prefer trading back even if the mythical "can't miss" Edge/WR/CB is there at the original pick. I would gladly rob another team of their premium picks in return for such a player so that I could have more drinks at the fountain.

8. J-Raw24

Over pay isn't a relative term... Trent Brown is making 18 million to play right tackle for the raiders. He's a good player. Solid RT. But makes more than any left tavkle in the league. That's over pay. Jack Conklin is a better RT and could command 19-20 million . Thats overpay. You can Draft Meckhi (spelling?) Becton in the 3rd round get a solid rt for less than 2 million.

You draft BPA at a position of need or trade back to do BPA at a position of need. If its WR, O Line whatever. You follow yoir big board and get them withing a reasonable distance of you ranking. This isn't BPA in the draft... no DTs on this one... Position of need.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. J-Raw24

I would trade back if Juedy or Okudah or whatever was there. I think Tee Higgins at 15 with an extra 2nd and 3rd pick is worth more than them. But I would still take Higgins at 15. Because I understand how deep the draft it at oline and now I have 2 more picks to take Walker Little and Becton, use my 2nd on humphrey, my 3rd on an edge rusher, giants 3rd on a guard. My 4th on AJ Dillon.

10. ColoradoContrails

In fact it IS relative. It's completely derived by the value a GM puts on that player, relative to his team's need. The Raiders obviously felt the need to pay Brown that money. Keep in mind that all player salaries are based on the estimate of future return "predicted" by past performance, AND that salaries almost always rise. So $18 million might be a lot today, in a year or two it might not be.

As for the assertion that you can replace a proven producer with a completely unknown player, that's a risk. Yes, one you might want to take because of the value, or your strong belief in your ability to judge talent, but it's a risk nonetheless.

11. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Build the D around Adams. Extend him this off season.

Protect Super Sammy Darnold.

Get a reliable kicker.

(Replace Gase...not happening so in brackets).

12. J-Raw24

A risk yes. It saves us 16 million if it works. Every draft pick is a risk. Bout we need Douglas to take risks to some extent instead of just do what the draft analysts say. We have taken the sure fire pick several times. And leonard williams, sheldon richardson, and quenin haven't paid off. Q still could but its getting old.

I wouldn't pay Conklin 18-20 million.. no RT is worth it.

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

is that faster or slower than Brady?!? :)

14. ColoradoContrails

First, I'm not advocating taking the so-called BPA. I think that's an approach used by GMs to cover their ass. Those picks you listed were predictably bad by even amateurs, let alone a so-called professional like Macc and Idzik.

Yes, there are always risks, and a good GM knows when to take them. Our former GM took the risk that our OL could be built with cast offs and stop gaps, how'd that work out? Douglas can't afford to take big risks where the OL is concerned. And let me be clear here, I'm not saying the first five picks have to be OL no matter what. I've already outlined how taking a "can't miss" Edge or WR might change my choice, but every single pick has to be viewed in the lens of if I don't take an OL here, what's the risk, and does that offset the potential loss?

As to "no RT is worth it", that's old math. In today's game in fact, a lot of rushing schemes take advantage of teams putting weaker players at RT. In reality all the OL positions are important.

NYJetsO12 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Probably a tiny tiny bit faster. He was a disaster against Penn State and Michigan because of it. I think part of it was because he wasn't stepping up when his tackles pushed rushers outside and retreated right into pressure but man is the guy slow.

He also has a monster arm though so he'll get some looks. I prefer a little bit of athleticism in my backup QB though.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely. Ask the Chiefs and Saints if they'd trade Ramcyzk and Schwartz for a left tackle. Right tackles are extremely important. If teams have a deficient right tackle a defense will just send pressure their way or move their best pass rusher over.

We just need good players on the offensive line, regardless of spot.

17. J-Raw24

I'm not saying you don't need a good RT. I'm saying overpaying an RT isn't the answer. Only one RT in the league makes what Brown does.. he in Fact makes more than any LT in the league. No RT is worth more than the best LT in the league. RT is important and we need a good one.. but paying one 19 million is ridiculous and a good way to set us back for 5 more years .

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think edoga looked good enough to start somewhere on the line. probably RT but maybe even moved inside to guard.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  19. J-Raw24

No RT is worth more than the best LT. Period. RT is important . Not 19 million important. Trent Brown isn't that better than the other RTs that signed elsewhere for way cheaper. If Conklin asked for more than 15 million and we sign him we got screwed.

I think we need solid O line and have been an advocate for an offensive focus in the draft. But overpaying just leads to depleted teams. No depth no ability to sign other players. No contending for a superbowl.

20. ColoradoContrails

Even overpaying Mevis didn't set them back 5 years, or any of the other duds they've signed. That doesn't mean you can just throw money away, but you can't look at it in the narrow context of "No RT is worth $19 million", or "No RT is worth...". Put it another way: what WOULD you pay for a Pro Bowl RT? $15 million? Is $5 million really going to trash your whole plan? I doubt it. And in a given instance, that RT might well be worth every penny of $19 million.

But let's not "Lose the forest for the trees". All I'm saying is that the GUIDING PRINCIPLE for Douglas has to be fix the OL, everything else follows that, with some caveats if there is a "can't miss" player at another position of high need like Edge and WR (I don't think CB is critical to their championship quest next season and can be gotten next year if necessary).

NYJetsO12 likes this.