How do we fix the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 16, 2019.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Until we hire the right head coach there is no fixing the Jets...Be prepared for another losing season next year..Adam Gase will never have a winning record here..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

So talent level has nothing to do with it?

Didn't somebody post a Pic of Barry Switzer somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Why does everyone think you need a Julio Jones to win? When was the last time a team had a "top receiver" and won? No seriously I'm asking, cuz I can't remember

chandler and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a fair point. But how many teams have went to the Super Bowl and won with below average to average receivers would be the better question? Maybe you can make the case for the 2007 Giants with just Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer? That team doesn't fit any sort of SB team trend though and is very strange.

The Falcons went to the Super Bowl with Julio Jones. The Rams had three excellent receivers in their run last year. The 2010 Packers had Jordy Nelson/Greg Jennings/Donald Driver. The 2008 Cardinals had three 1,000 yard receivers and a HOFer. The Pats were most dominant on offense with Randy Moss.

You don't need a top 5 receiver. But you need good receivers.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Ahhh I forgot about plax, but you and I agree. You don't need a top 5, but I do think we have good receivers. Maybe another receiver to compliment robbie consistently.

I don't think we are in as bad a shape as others thing.

I've been at every game except the Monday night Pats game (gave that to my office manager who's a pats fan.....all in prep for my big call off for my birthday). I see guys getting open, Sam just isn't seeing it. He's young, he's 22 he'll get better, so I'm not as worried.

Offensively our biggest issue is oline. Fix that, everything else will be better

chandler likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

I really think the opposite. We badly need receivers. Crowder and Anderson are ok. We have no one that can make a play on a contested ball. All of our receivers drop balls and run lazy routes.

Sam needs to pitch the ball out to a guy on a 5 yard stop that picks up 15 on a play here and there. And throw it to a crossing receiver on 3rd and 8 where they muscle the ball away from the defender.

NCJetsfan and JetsNation06 like this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

See I don't think that at all. I think we have guys that are above average. I like Smith and a 4th option maybe someone who's more of a possession guy but he had the TE for that till he was hurt.

I think as far as options go, we're pretty good. These guys get open and can win one on one battles

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Try Gronk from the Pats :mad:

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

What's crazy is I think if we fix the oline and get decent corners and a pass rusher, all of which are very doable in an off season. This team can be pretty good

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Sell the team, move back to NY, get your own stadium....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. championjets69

I have been saying what U posted since we won SB3 :mad:

zace likes this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Lol touche good sir

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Nice write up

I would keep Avery; poole if possible

i am also skittish on WR high in the first round. There have been more can't miss receivers who full out stunk (not merely disappointed). I'd feel better if i thought our scouts had that special eye for receiver talent (like the Steelers)

I'm more of a numbers guys at receiver -- run out 3 good or good+, plus a TE who can catch -- tougher assignment for the Defense. Now if we knew we were getting a (not crazy) Randy Moss I'd consider it

Also we need to revamp our strength and conditioning group.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We do need another playmaker on offense who can create. Yes Robby can blow the cover off a defense. However I'd still like to see an offensive skill guy who can make people miss, break tackles in the open field and make big plays out of short throws.

Whether that is in the form of a WR, TE or RB I don't care. I was honestly expecting more of that out of Bell this year but it's been a weird year for him, a lot of that blame has to go on the offensive line too.

Crowder has shown flashes of it this year. Love the way he jukes and makes people miss after catch although I think his top end speed and explosion is limited. Still valuable skillset though. Robby's mostly just about using his speed separation to make plays which is completely fine.

But it would be nice to have one of those stud WR's who can create on his own after catching a 5 yard out as Vilma mentioned above.

I do agree with Zace though. The OL is priority one, along with DB's and true edge rusher. I'd put offensive gamebreaker after these.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

1. Have the Johnson's sell the team.
    1B. Fire Gase

After those two moves we should be fixed. Other things need to happen but these need to be the first two problems.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Keep pretending Edelman and Gronk weren't great.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  17. championjets69

The paramount very 1st thing this team has to do is FIRE Gase all else come s second:mad:

JetsNation06 likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Edelman is not great, he's an above average receiver but he's not a game changer.

Gronk is but they really won most of their games without him even being in the lineup

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Ok we get it. There's a 150 page thread on Gase. Go post about him there. This thread is about personnel.

Offensive line is definitely a top priority. I just think the quarterback is the most important position in football. If we can turn Darnold into a great player then he can be a QB that elevates garbage receivers. But we need to get him there first and we've punted on giving him a really good receiver or any help at all his first two years.

With his scrambling and secondary play ability he needs a contested catch receiver badly.

NCJetsfan, JetsNation06 and J-Raw24 like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Edelman is a top third down receiver of all time. Just because he doesn't put up flashy stats doesn't mean he doesn't change a game. Not all game changers are fly route receivers. Michael Thomas is a good example of this.

Gronk played in all of the games that mattered and was one of five tightends on the Top 100 All-Time Team. He was that spectacular.

NCJetsfan likes this.