Here is a sideline gem... Let's see what Sam thinks of Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Dec 13, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he runs right by him.... Daniel brown wtf

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bad teams win games. Bad teams beat other bad teams. Sometimes bad teams beat really good teams.

It's nothing new. The Eagles lost to that same Dolphins team.

I'll dig up my post regarding some interesting bad team wins.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Here we go.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Doesnt seem like he def said "fuck off" its almost impossible to tell

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

When Sam becomes more than a bottom half of the league starting QB, a up-down make some incredible throws then miss a wide open receiver QB his opinion will carry more weight with me.

Right now I don't really care how he feels.

Acad23 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Instead of comparing records, compare point differentials. Which are more predictive of future success than records are.

PabloJa likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

When you listen to him talk, you can tell he knows what he is talking about. He has the respect of Peyton Manning for a reason. Usually his scripted first 15 plays are really good too. I think he is a really good play designer. Compared to other Head Coaches? Hard to tell, but I think he is smarter than Rex or Bowles were. His problem is he thinks he is smarter than them too. He does not adjust well. If his plan does not work, he rarely has a back-up plan or ability to change things up on the fly. He is quick to make excuses instead of taking the blame on himself.

SOJAZ, Andy_M and Mogriffjr like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd say that makes him not too smart.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

How so? A 41-10 win is more valuable than a 22-21 win?

11. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

more valuable? No.

but if you want to compare teams, the Jets who beat Miami 22-21, are NOT nearly as good as teams who beat Miami 41-10 (or closer to it).

Of course there are outliers, but the bigger the sample, the more prevalent it will be.... thats the point HOTJ was making

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you beat a team 41-10, that's strong evidence you're better than that team. Whereas if you beat a team 22-21, that's very weak evidence you're better than that team. You could easily lose to them in a rematch. Which is why if the strength of your record depends on a lot of close wins, that record will probably regress in the future.

A great example is the 2013 Jets. We finished 8-8, but our point differential was -97, which was 26th in the NFL. That we finished 8-8 in a year we were supposed to suck convinced Woody to keep Rex, but it was a mirage. The next year, we regressed to our actual level and finished 4-12.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

62 games. And counting.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Compare Imposter syndrome and Dunning-Kruger effect. We know where Gase belongs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Fact is Gase isn't getting any better. He uses the same dink dunk system. He doesn't know how to put his player in a position to succeed unless they are slot receivers. His game plan have always been horrid. He isn't good with his players except QBs and Slot receivers. And if he gets his hands in the draft we can expect him to get us people he doesn't know how to utilize. We will get an OT that becomes a penatly magnet, a WR1 that doesn't work until Gase is gone, and a DE that may have a chance if GW is here. But if he's gone Gase will screw that up too.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean blowouts happen. A good example of why point differential may be skewed at times is electing to kick an onside kick instead of kicking it deep. We needed three stops and three scores. Instead of just running clock out there was a risk taken to try to win the game. It hurts your point differential but it's not about that.

A couple blowouts completely skew that number too. The Dolphins got absolutely wrecked in their first couple games. And have been competitive ever since and beaten two teams in the playoff hunt.

65 of that -97 for the 2013 Jets is accounted for in two games. The 2008 Cardinals were +1 in point differential. They still got invited to the dance and lost the SB on a last second touchdown. The 1993, 1996 and 1997 Vikings all had minus point differentials and got into the playoffs. The 1995 Eagles got in and won a playoff game before losing to the SB champion Cowboys. The 2017 Titans got in at -22 and won a game before losing to the AFC Champion Patriots.

It's not ideal. We want to have a good +/-. But it's not really the tell all. I'm more concerned with winning games and getting into the playoffs consistently. Gase needs to prove that moving forward when he gets some pieces next year.

FJF likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

What dink and dunk offense are you watching? In fact I wish we'd dink and dunk a little more.

So the argument in Miami is that he's a dink and dunk play calling that favors his quarterbacks numbers. And then we have a wide open offense here in watching the games but he keeps that stigma.

There's so many agenda hidden arguments against Gase it's wild.

18. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He is throwing more down field this year that he did in Miami. But he still is a horrible coach. His playing calling in every game this year has bern questionable. 4th down, down 2 scores and he punts. He doesn't run the ball on obvious run plays. He lines up one eligible receiver on 4th and 2 and goes for it. Fact is he's more of an offensive moron. No genius there. And he hasn't used Robbie as a deep threat even when his o line wasn't playing like crap, which in most games I give him the benefit of bad oline.

19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Or at least since George Seifert and Steve Young when Young got pulled out of a blowout during their Super Bowl year and spazzed out on Seifert on the sidelines.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And then he goes to a division rival trying to win and is a miracle Ficken FG away from being behind said tanking team.