Here is a sideline gem... Let's see what Sam thinks of Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Dec 13, 2019.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Neither play gave Sam the opportunity to do anything but roll out away from the LOS. The second time, was even worse since the Ravens read the play.

I have nothing against throwing on 4th down, BUT there needs to be options. Running 2 drags isn't going to cut it, especially a team with pro bowl DBs.

Then you also have to look at who he's got running routes. Anderson on Marcus Peters and the two Smiths off the PS aren't going to cut it. I'll take my chances going 36 inches up the gut.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Literally? You mean like he was sitting on a chair that had a heating element in it for 5 straight years?

Dude must have some wicked boils.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're all entitled to our opinions. I just don't think this talentless teams biggest issue is the coach. And I don't think it's fair to evaluate the coach when he's working with little to nothing.

My issue with all of the criticism comes from nitpicking bullshit that has nothing to do with a deficiency in how the game is being managed, which is the coaches responsibility.

Everyone got their dying wish of feeding Le'Veon the ball yesterday. And we got crushed by three scores. So maybe feeding him the ball wasn't the magic fix.

FJF likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That isn't entirely fair, I don't think anyone's saying that coaching could have made the difference last night. It's some of the other games this season that things could have been different with better coaching.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

STFU Lmao... You and your timely banter

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. Jonathan_Vilma

And meanwhile there have been non stop complaints by fans for not getting Darnold on the move. We do it yesterday and we should've ran the ball up the gut with the leagues second worst rushing attack that routinely struggles in short yardage situations.

We spread the defense out to mitigate the pressure? Why are we not putting more tightends on the field and running the ball!

We need more blockers put some tightends in there on pass plays. Trevon Wesco gets destroyed for a strip sack. Why are we letting our tightends block?!?

We run play actions and bootlegs to slow the pressure literally ALL night long. Why aren't we running these more?!?

The armchair coaching is so ridiculous. We're throwing the ball to two undrafted free agents. Our best receiver is a midget and a speed demon that weights 165 pounds. We're on our third and fourth tightends, second center, second guards at both spots and we're rotating our right tackle in and out.

What in the holy fucking hell is the right play call and gameplan for this team?

Gase might suck but the talent on this team is way worse than the gameplan.

Jets81, FJF, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

There's playcalling criticism all over this thread and board over last nights game, man.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again with the straw man! Jesus, do you own a hay field?

I agree with you about nitpicking every play, but there's a difference between that and stepping back and looking at the pattern of plays he calls. He seems to have a knack for doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. And yes, there is a huge impact because of the shitty roster, but still, do you really not see his part in the failure here? I'd be shocked if you said yes since I know from your posts that you're very knowledgeable.

Bottom line: We've endured years of less than acceptable coaching - and I include Rex in this because he was one-dimensional - and here we are AGAIN. Personally I have no more slack to give any HC, especially one who is as egotistical as Gase is. I understand he's going to stay here regardless, but he doesn't deserve to.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

Okay fair, I don't pay attention to everything that gets posted here. To change the subject, my criticisms of Gase go beyond playcalling. There's a lot that goes into being a good coach (motivating your players, disciplining them effectively, running practices, teaching your players to improve their games, etc) aside from playcalling. And I have serious doubts of Gase's ability to do those things. For example, all the extracurricular stuff that's happened (Osemele, Falk, Adams, Sam last night), the terrible body language, Sam's on-field problems continuing, etc.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

No one's creating a straw man. Your argument is that the play calling and game plans are deficient. As he is the head coach and de facto offensive coordinator.

So he changed his gameplan to a run heavy attack yesterday. It didn't work. I want someone to tell me what the game plan and what plays he's calling wrong in what situations. Then we can discuss and debate.

But if you're just going to say his game plan sucks and his play calling sucks without saying what you think would be more effective or why you're saying that, then we're wasting our time.

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that there just aren’t many good coaches that move the needle in the NFL *regardless of talent and situation*

I can count on one hand the number of actual different maker head coaches there are in this league....Gase is pretty damn average to me, and combined with G Williams I would say we are on the better side of average as far as coaching goes

We were a shallow team snake bitten with key injuries and also had an extremely rare situation with Sam getting Mono to start the year (then our backup breaking his leg)

I would be in favor of replacing Gase with a top tier coach if someone could point me in that direction...if not it’s probably better off seeing how Gase and Williams can do with a hopefully better team and situation next year

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

literally this. Inject into my veins. Bravo.

FJF likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Glad someone else is seeing this.

And not just points...he had some momentum killing plays.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Gase might be the biggest jerk off in the world. And he may suck at all of those things.

I think part of the switch is the resort that was being run at One Jets Drive since the beginning of the Rex era. And players don't like when coaches get on them.

I didn't dislike hiring Gase. I don't love him as a head coach. I think he can be a good head coach.

But I don't think this year is a fair assessment for him. There were at least ten plays last night where Darnold instantly had to retreat for his life at the snap of the ball. And thank God he's aware of that stuff. Geno probably would've been in a wheelchair with his lack of game awareness.

But I don't understand what gameplan stops that. Maybe we should try to sneak a 12th man on the field on offense? Or go two eligible lineman and run three men routes?

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Jets are stuck this roster is what it is until the off-season.

The 5 OL put out there aren't good at all as a cohesive unit. Throw the 3rd and 4th TE's out there, who are mediocre at best and you get things like broken assignments and Brown running the wrong route that led to an INT. Wesco is more of a run blocking TE than anything right now. He’s not good.

you’re 3rd and 4th WR’s are Vyncint Smith and Jeff Smith, Jeff just got off the street and is known to have bad hands. Not even sure what happened to Berrios on offense neither.
    This is what Sam has to deal with and he’s performed admirably despite the roster shortcomings.

Jets81 and FJF like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

To do what you ask I'd need to have Gase's game plan, and a more firsthand knowledge of the players. That's why I try to stay away from criticizing each play. Although there are times when I have to ask "WTF?".

So no I'm not going to do a play by play breakdown. I'll stick with my general overview of having watched him over the season so far, and he seems to have a knack for zigging when the other team expects him to.

But you're being inconsistent - first you complain about everyone "nitpicking" all the plays, then you demand that I break down each one. In your commitment to give Gase a Mulligan, you're not seeing his part in all this.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

We'd have to ask Gase about that.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. Great post. I actually think Gase is really smart and knows football really well. He just overthinks things and tries to be too cute, plus seems to have a terrible and polarizing personality. He might be a smarter coach than Herm Edwards, but Herm could relate with the players and I am not sure Gase does besides Sam. It's interesting for sure.

King Koopa likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

What makes you think Gase is smart compared to other coaches?

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't need a play by play breakdown. But you're being vague in order to avoid committing to concrete criticism of what the game plans and playcalling actually looks like. We've tried pretty much every approach this year besides running 45 times. Which is literally un-doable without punting 13 times.

The game plans have evolved. They have changed. Yet if the receivers can't get separation and we give our quarterback the shortest time before pressure in the league, and we have the leagues work rushing attack, I'm really curious as to what the critics think is the best gameplan for this situation.

And I'm not even trying to be facetious. Maybe I'm missing teams that have successfully operated better offenses with less?