Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Throw in a bag of cracker jacks and you got a deal

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

At least be realistic. You & I both know those two could barely get one wet sock let alone a pair.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

4. statjeff22

Apparently the Cespedes deal is even better for the Mets than I speculated - they don't have to pay $15 million of his 2019 salary (they apparently held his money back all year), and $20 million of his 2020 salary is no longer guaranteed, with some of it available back as incentives. Obviously what he was doing on his ranch when he got hurt was in direct violation of his contract, and rather than lose $60 million for 2019-2020 (having the contract voided), he's taking $25 million as a consolation prize.

5. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Rats. Good luck Dellin (except for 4 days next July). Hope you cash in next offseason.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

7. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Dierking and joe like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Any bets Pete Alonso sees A LOT MORE OFFSPEED stuff this year? I think they're gonna drop a huge load of curves and changeups and stay away from the fastball. I hope the kid can adjust to this but there's no way the league will pitch him the same way in 2020 as they did in '19.

Br4d likes this.
  9. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Anyone guessed this was the reason? No? I didn’t think so. :p

Yoenis Céspedes’ ankle injury was suffered ‘after an interaction with a wild boar’

Last May, while rehabbing from heel surgery, Mets’ outfielder Yoenis Céspedes suffered an accident on his ranch, described as a “violent fall,” that resulted in multiple ankle fractures.

At the time there was widespread speculation that the injury occurred while he was engaging in activities that were (a) prohibited by his player contract, such as riding horses; and (b) probably a bad idea regardless given that he was rehabbing from surgery. The Mets certainly believed so as they began to withhold his 2019 salary.

That dispute recently led to an agreement between Céspedes and the Mets that resulted in Céspedes receiving a “significant reduction” of his 2020 salary, which was supposed to be $29.5 million. That reduction will cost him a minimum of $15.7 million and could cost him as much as $30 million.

This evening the New York Post reports what actually happened last May. And, no, it was not what anyone was expecting:

The Post has learned all involved parties agreed that Cespedes was injured on the ranch stepping into a hole after an interaction with a wild boar.

According to multiple people who were informed of the incident, Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people. But one boar was removed from a trap — perhaps by Cespedes — and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole.

Like I said: we weren’t expecting that.

Céspedes, 34, played in a only 119 games combined in 2017-18 before missing the entire 2019 campaign. He is said to have resumed baseball activities and should be ready to go for spring training.

Can’t wait for spring training. It’s not likely to be boaring.

A little flash back of him with Vicesports

10. statjeff22

Hey, there's nothing worse than a crashing bore.

Oh, that's not what that meant?

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is gonna be part of the Pitch Around Pete strategy that is going to kick into gear the first time he gets hot next season. I'm primarily worried that he is going to be a low average homerun hitter without much speed for much of his career. Peak seasons are valuable in that archetype but there are some real clunkers also.

The classic answer to that talent dilemma is to find another good powerhitter to put behind the guy and make all the walks he winds up getting really painful for the other side.

12. dawinner127

Hopefully Cespedes can be that guy.

I'm still holding out hope that we offer something up to the Red Sox for Mookie Betts. Nimmo + Thor would be ideal, but I would even do Conforto + Thor. Betts is a 5 tool player and worth every penny he is going to get.

13. NYGalPal

Beltran better not bring Alex Cora ways over here. :p

14. NYGalPal

Astros fired their gm & manager. Red sox fired Alex Cora. I’m happy this sign stealing mess came to the head before the season started because I honestly think Beltran would of tried that here. Beltran gonna feel some media heat. Mets players are also gonna gave to unfairly deal with having to field questions about their manager.

15. statjeff22

Presumably master insider trader Steve Cohen wouldn't have much of an ethical problem with Beltran, but I have to wonder if it's worth bringing in such a lightning rod for negative attention when there's absolutely no evidence (one way or the other) to suggest that he has a clue how to be a manager. Under the best of circumstances there was going to be a learning curve, and these sure aren't the best of circumstances.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Gut feeling I think they part ways and get Eduardo Perez who was close to getting the job.

17. dawinner127

This not saying anything and waiting to speak is asinine. Either say you back the guy up or get rid of him. If he isn't being punished by the MLB then he should stay.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm a Yankee fan so I don't have much skin in the game, but agreed. What's the issue? He was a player. Should the Astros cut their entire team and move forward with an expansion roster too?

If the Mets are concerned about optics, then get rid of him decisively and move on.

dawinner127 likes this.
  19. dawinner127

Andddddddddddddddddddddddd

he's out.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member