The man has a point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 10, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's weak at OT and C but there are some good guards. I wouldn't mind signing schreff at all. we can use both tools

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. We are completely in unison on the entire 2020 landscape HOWEVER i disagree about Adams.Hes one of the few OTs,possibly the ONLY, in this class i actually think is a future starting left tackle if he stays healthy.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

First off you still "REACH" for players you don't have rated as high.. for instance if 3 tackles are gone at our pick and our next tackle is rated as a 2nd round pick. Its a "REACH".
    Second several 1st WR have been working out recently. Your breakdown also works for oline. Several first round oline have been flopping recently. In fact I would wager that oline itself has decreased in talent more recently than any other position in football. Hence why most team will "REACH" for oline this year.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. J-Raw24

Right on. Well I will have to watch some more tape on him. I still really like Little. If we can get either in the 2nd I would be happy. Not sure where Adams will fall I have seen pick 20 to mid 2nd rounds on most projections.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

reaching has nothing to do with slotted draft position based on talent. we arne't talking about reaching yet. we won't know for sure until the picks are officially decided at the end of the eyar and the boards are updated after the combine and interviews. all we are talking about now is 1st round talent. trading down is also an option too at that point but we aren't there yet.

as far as WRs go i won't count 2019 becuase rookies but

1st round
    DJ moore - solid WR so far
    calvin ridley - solid WR so far

notable picks after 1st
    2nd sutton
    2nd kirk
    2nd james washington
    2nd DJ chark
    3rd Gallup
    7th auden tate

1st round
    corey davis - bust
    mike williams - solid WR
    john ross - bust at first but becoming solid

notable picks after 1st
    2nd - samuel
    2nd - juju
    3rd - kupp
    3rd - godwin
    3rd - galloway
    4th - dede westbrook

1st round
    coleman - bust
    fuller - solid speedster WR2
    doctosn - bust
    treadwell - bust

notable picks after 1st
    2nd - sterling shepard
    2nd micheal thomas
    2nd tyler boyd
    5th tyrek hill

1st rounders
    cooper - pro bowler
    kevin white - bust
    devante parker - bust at 1st may become solid
    agholor - bust
    perimen - bust
    dorsett - bust

notable after 1st
    2nd funchess
    3rd lockett
    4th crowder
    5th diggs

So over the past 4 years, it hasn't even been remotely worth it to use a 1st on a WR

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. Adams is great. He's just back to back season ending injuries away from being a top 5 pick. But those concerns are real. He's a really big man so it's scary to think of someone who has lower body issues.

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

sounds reasonable enough. it all comes down to the scouting department AND positional value

I'm a bit old school in thinking that the OL makes the RB, QB and WR look better, not vice versa

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A good OL does make the skill position players better, but they won't magically become great because of it..

9. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't really care what we draft them but we need to draft receivers. The receiver free agency class sucks as it usually does. We need them just as badly as offensive lineman.

And we can't walk away from the best receiver class since 2014 with a repeat of Jalen Saunders and Jace Amaro.

Someone thought Jace Amaro was the route to go. He ended up making Anthony Becht look like a speed demon.

joe likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with that, and in a lot of ways, I'm old school as well. I think it can work either way. If the WRs one has can't get open in 4-5 seconds even when supposedly even the best CBs can't keep their man covered for more than 3-4 seconds, then the best OL in the NFL won't matter, and it won't make those WRs look great. As we've seen this year, having a crap OL minimalizes whatever talents one has at WR. There has to be some middle ground/balance

As we've seen with NE, a team can get by with an OL that is a good run-blocking OL and decent or average pass blocking OL if the QB gets the ball out quickly. That of course, depends upon the WRs getting separation or getting open. If they don't then the QB gets sacked or has to throw the ball away.

A great QB can make his OL and his WRs look better than they are. A great OL can make their QB and perhaps the WRs look better than they are. A great WR can make his QB look better and his OL look better. 2-3 very good WRs can make their QB look great and their OL look good enough, if not good. A great CB or double-teaming a stud WR can take him away. Talent, scheme, preparation and execution, knowledge of each other/chemistry, creativity/play calling, and the salary cap can all impact the success or lack thereof of an offense.

I just hope Douglas makes the right moves in FA and the draft. With Sam's mobility and ability to create, I don't think that we have to have a top 5 OL in the NFL. As long as we have an above average OL and quality playmakers, our offense should succeed if not thrive.

12. J-Raw24

Fact is we can do the exact same list with OT and DT and QB. Also look at how many 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th round WR aren't good. Its a gamble. No matter what. To not take one because it may be a bust we maybe just should give up our 1st round pick for now on? What hapoens if we get a Robert Gallery? Or Erik Flowers? Any pick you take has a chance to bust. So we should do like oakland and take the offensive Clelin Ferrell? No if the WR is there and rated and no OT is you take it. There isn't always a trade back worth taking either.

#92 J-Raw24, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

The Raiders, Eagles and Colts all beg to differ on those believing the end all be all is in the offensive line with wide receiver being such an afterthought. With Hilton out, there was basically one professional receiver on these three rosters.

We need to get both as best as we can.

NCJetsfan, CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

One of those 'someone's' was Fatcessa (who never knew squat about the colleges) for one.

BrowningNagle and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I disagree.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he was on the radio lobbying for the Mets GM job recently hhaha

17. GasedAndConfused

the whole raft is a gamble but no you can't do it with other positions. WR is where it's overwhelming easy to find a good one outside of the 1st compared to other positions. of course there will always be outliers but they are rare. it's not rare for WRs. also that WR you pine over could be the next corey davis or kevin white so you negated your whole point with that comment

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Will agree to disagree...

19. We've had this discussion before & I still do disagree with you despite the # of WR's found throughout the draft.And I do respect your opinion.

WR's are one of the hardest projections in the draft. There are just an overwhelming # of aspects to consider:Size/Release/hands/Route running/Quickness in & of breaks/Body control/YAC/Surrounding cast in college/Level of competition- You can watch enough tape on an OL or an LB & know if somebody can play in the NFL. WR though? Those guys w. instant staying power are extremely hard to come by. For every Antonio Brown there's 5 Stephen Hill's.

There are teams who have very good scouts & prototypes who are able to find WR's in later rounds; Steelers,Packers,Chargers, Vikings...We are not one of those teams. And to be fair The jets have largely subscribed to your philosophy.Terry Bradway was quite vocal about it including during the infamous IDZIK 14 draft. Alex Van Dyke, Harry Williams Jr.,Windrell Hayes,Jalen Saunders,Shaq Evans, Marcus Henry,Jordan White,Devin Smith,Adarius Stewart,Chad Hanson... They've tried, just failed miserably.

So why take 1 in round 1? Well..if they are truly an elite prospect & not a reach based on short supply, you're theoretically minimizing risk as they check off more of the considered aspects listed above. And the upside is that of instant offense; Please for the love of god do not take for granted the notion of a WR that's good for 100 Yards & at least 1 TD Every.single.week. We haven't had that since Keyshawn & Chrebet.

At some point we need to break the cycle of having dreadful skill players. Continually insisting on waiting till later rounds including in top heavy classes doesn't send a great message for change. I've said this over & over again; I'm fully confident the Jets will fix the OL regardless of resource allocation. I have ZERO confidence in the team finding a dynamic play making receiver or skill outside of day 1. At some point skill has to be prioritized. If an equal or better OL is sitting there at a pick..take the OL....but by NO MEANS is skill a secondary priority.Nor is it something we can keep chalking up to finding in later rounds.

NCJetsfan, J-Raw24 and tomdeb like this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The jets have four picks in round 1-3. My preference is two OL, and edge rusher, and a WR. Use the balance of picks at CB, more OL, and finally best player(s) available. Don't burn a pick on a K.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.