The man has a point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 10, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree completely but they have also lost games they could have won. Its any given sunday. They aren't Baltimore at this point they can still lose to teams they shouldn't. I don't think we will win. But I wouldn't be surprised either.

2. In the 1st round?No it is not. On day 2 & early day 3? Yes there are alot of quality options.Which is exactly my point.We can easily upgrade our OL on day 2 & still fil another need w a blue chip prospect in round 1

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this is what separates the good scouting departments from the bad.

a lot of what we see is in effect " this guy dominated in college. Look at this highlight [i.e., against some guy who not be in the NFL] when he's a teammate of these 3 other guys [who will be in the NFL] and who has a QB [who will also be in the NFL and who has 7 seconds to throw because his line will be in the NFL]

then they get to the pros and it's all different.

A good scouting department will find those guys who are hungry and will continue to develop their game, be good teammates etc.

We need quantity at receivers. Spread the field. Keep the defense guessing where the ball will go, and take what they give you.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. J-Raw24

I agree. I can say the same about o line though. In the past 10 years a lot of sure fire stud o line have failed. First round picks as a whole have been boom or bust.

There are several in this class with huge potential, and I would love to see them in green and white. But you never know if they will bust until 3 years in or so.

We have to draft according to the big board. Where they are rated. I hope we shoot for o line and wr in the first 3 rounds or so. Our biggest needs are on offense. But if we take a WR over an OL I won't be angry. Its best option to help the team..

5. J-Raw24

A good scouting department will take a WR they have ranked at number 7 in the draft over an OL ranked at 20...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

there are probably like 4-5 1st round talent OTs as well as 1 C. in the 2nd there are 2 centers. no reason we don't go OT C in rounds 1 and 2. then with our 2 3rds we can look at edge, WR, and CB depending on free agency. it's a deep WR class and should be able to get a good one in the 3rd

Red Menace likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

of course they arne't balt, just saying most teams like us on a 3rd string QB, missing a pro bowl WR1 and pro bowl RB1 aren't going to win 8+ games

Red Menace and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. J-Raw24

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings
    Where are these 4-5 OTs. Its usually 3 max. And they usually don't line up at 9. Its a deep OT class in the 2nd and 3rd round. There will be a lot available later not round 1...

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

Agreed. We have a ton of holes. We aren't an o line from a championship. We have to build a solid offense and see if Sam is what we hope he is. We also need a defense that doesn't screw him on short yardage. I hope we build the offense first. The only way I get mad come draft is if we take a DT or way over reach. Busts happen to us a lot and I hope that is fixed as well.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

Thomas
    Wirfs
    Leatherwood
    Jackson
    Little (injury slipped him down but should still be a 1st rounder)
    Adams

Yeah there is a lot of good value in the 2nd too and one of these guys may be able to slip into the 2nd round but we need more then 1 lineman. and i'm not taking a C with a top 10 pick. we cna get a C in the 2nd. Yes a lot will change before the draft so it's a bit early now, but doens't make sense to pass up on fixing out o-line in a draft where we need to badly and the talent is there. most drafts are bad for o-line. hell last year the texans took a 4th round prospect in the 1stto start at RT out of desperation.

12. J-Raw24

Leatherwood will play guard on whatever team he goes too. Jackson is in the 1st on some boards but not rated a top 32 player on any board. Adams and Little will both go to the 2nd as well unless some team way over reaches. The other 2 you named will be the only OTs taken in the first round that is rated as a 1st round pick. Again only 2 OTs are rated as top 32 players consistently. Wills and Jackson are occasionally but not that high.

13. GasedAndConfused

everyone has different ratings and they aren't set in stone yet. the list i gave you is form a variety of big boards where those players are in the 1st with the exception of little who was a top 15 pick everywhere until the injury so could slide into the 2nd but still a 1st round talent.

14. GasedAndConfused

I never said that. said we could address CB and/or edge in FA. take OT and C with top 2 picks. and in the 3rd get a WR and CB or Edge depending on free agency

15. But if the board sets up to take an OL in rounds 2-3 why force it in round 1?

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. J-Raw24

First you haven't seen a team "big board" they share that with no one. I've looked at every rating over the past several months. I've almost exclusively watched college football since the mono sickness took Darnold. No ranking has more than 3 OTs in round 1. Again I showed you proof. You haven't shown anything except your own opinions.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The last thing I want is for Douglas to get tunnel vision and only focus on the OL in the early rounds. We need playmakers on offense too. Our top WR would be a #3 or #2 on most teams and our top RB has shown signs of decline. Now, I wouldn't think about taking a RB before round 3, but WR? In a heartbeat. A good OL isn't gonna turn our skill players into superstars. The bottom line is our OL and skill position players need to be upgraded.

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Exactly. Our bigger need is interior lineman honestly, and I think that'll remain in the draft. I think we'll sign a right tackle regardless (there are some decent ones available). I don't see a left tackle I want outside of Thomas in round one who I doubt will be there.

Unless we're going to convert Wirfs into a guard I think we'll be stuck in a difficult spot to take an offensive lineman. He looks like a much surer bet to make an easy transition than Leatherwood will. Alabama offensive lineman aren't exactly dominating the NFL like some of the other positions they yield are (RB, DT, LB).

I'm just really praying the top QB needy teams at the top of the draft are scared away from Tua and a frenzy ensues at our pick to get him.

@KurtTheJetsFan can Wirfs play RT in the NFL?

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

i never said team big board lol. nobody gets to see those. also i don't think you realize how it works. yes every site has a different board so if a player is deemed a 1st rounder by 1 site they still are a 1st round possibility even if another site says no. I seen boards where the people you listed weren't in the 1st round.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftbigboard 5 not including little who again was top 15 and should be considered buy slipping for injury. same way myles jack fell form top 5 to 2nd rounder and tua fell from top 3 to who knows

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2020-Page-1.asp 4 but also has OTs at 33 and 34 so 6 in the 1st and top 2 of 2nd round. and again no little

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/big_board 5 in the 1st

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...layers-by-position/1o6j8k7fw2ywd1e1p73trdxde9 5 in the 1st including little

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2020-NFL-mock-draft-top-prospects-129789803/#129789803_11 4 in the 1st
    so that's 5 big boards with 4-6 1st round talent OTs. it also means we can slide down and still get a starter and more picks. there is 0 reason to not get an OT in the 1st for us this year

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with you and your posts in this thread, but while CB is a need, hopefully it will be resolved via FA. In no way do I want the Jets taking a CB with their #1 pick. I just can't see a scenario where there won't either be an OL, WR, Edge Rusher or opportunity to trade down at our pick. If such a scenario exists and happens, and there's no OL, WR or Edge Rusher we have rated that highly, there's no opportunity to trade down, and there's a great CB prospect we do have rated that highly, then yes, take a CB and don't reach. That said, if there's an OL, WR, or Edge Rusher that we have rated just a tiny bit lower than that CB, I'm taking that position and not CB.