The man has a point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 10, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I believe OL and skill players both need to be upgraded. Whichever position(OL or WR) has the superior prospect available should be the pick.

KurtTheJetsFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

That's my point. I'm not even saying we grab Lamb... while I like Lamb and he's a phenomenal talent. I have been saying we should trade back. Get Higgins or Humphrey or someone else and another 2nd rounder or whatever. But to say we better take oline in the first 2 is a good way to get us in this situation year after year.. We have many many holes on this team. Edge, Corner, WR, Oline. Take the best available player that actually fits a hole. Not a DT or the BPA of the draft... the best option for this team.

3. 100% agree..and im not opposed at all to trading down either..but not simply bc their isnt an ol worth the pick..moreso for the right compensation & an optimal landing spot fir a player we like ala Jimmy Johnson draft phiosophy

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. J-Raw24

Exactly my point

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Jedrick Wills from Bama will go in the 8-12 and would be worthy of this spot.

No need for Management to overthink this and try to pull something to prove they are smarter than everybody else.
    First round OL probably bust the least out of any position in NFL.

Don’t know as much about the kid from Iowa but many feel he is a top 10-15 pick as well.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Address the OL, pass rush, CB and WR in that order - BPA at one of those four positions every single round. No more blocking TE's, interior D lineman, or projects...

7. J-Raw24

Wills isn't projected there by any of the so called draft expert and I haven't seen anyone else call him a top 10 or even top 20. He's good but he will fall later in the draft.
    There are plent of first round OL draft busts. KC has got one this decade, so has NYG and Carolina I believe. Cam Robinson and Erik Flowers(?). Again no reason to reach, that gets us in trouble as much as taking a DT. We should target OL, WR, Edge, and CB. I agree the offense need priority. But go best option on the board at a position of need. Don't be the raiders and take Ferrell.

8. Section 336

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

Here are just 2 Mocks that have us taken Wills and another with him going at 13.

Just 2 - There are many more expecting him to go top half of first,

https://nflmocks.com/2019/12/05/2020-nfl-draft-alabama-jedrick-wills-ot1-class/

9. J-Raw24

Thanks for pointing it out. I have been watching most mocks and he's usually later. It would be someone I would trade back for but I still don't think I would take him at 9. Most drafts I've seen have him around 20+. Again this is all pre-combine and pro day. If he climbs or falls will be interesting to watch. If he's there and Douglas has him rated that high I would say go for it. But again I wouldn't be angry with Higgins or Lamb or Humphrey. Anyone that actually fills a need rather than BPA or a reach.

10. Section 336

Agree with some of your points.
    The main point Is the Jets should be sitting pretty to upgrade both OL and WR early in the draft.
    I would not get to caught up on draft position, if we really like an OL and he is within reason of where we have him ranked. Rather pick a guy 3-4 spots early than miss out altogether.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Bingo. We can do both without reaching if handled properly by Douglas and crew.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Also we're currently at 9 right now, but losing the next 3 games is pretty possible. I feel best about the Steelers for some reason, but no way win tomorrow and we likely lose at least one against the Bills and Steelers.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

I agree with that. I don't mind drafting a little earlier. That said I wouldn't take Austin Jackson at 9 when he will be available at 22. Same can be said on receiver. I wouldn't take Higging at 9 when I could get him at 15. Again that could all change between now and April. It's a long way off. Higgins stock is going way up, he's a beast. But its the idea. If we can trade back to 15 or 20 and get the same player + picks why would we reach.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. J-Raw24

I think so... I root for us to win every week but I could see us droping all 3.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I really have no faith in Gase and I am not trying to be negative. Alll of the games he won were against bad teams + an underpeforming Dallas team. The Ravens, Bills, and Steelers all have their act together so I dont see how we're going to beat them with Gase's closed-mindedness.

16. J-Raw24

I am not sold Steelers have their act together. The defense is what will kill us. Browns beat them. I think we could beat the Browns with Darnold. We could also lose to them... the other 2 I think could give us a hard time. Ravens are the best team in AFC atm for a reason.

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'd rather have several good receivers than priortize a super receiver.

Pats will find a way to shut down the stud. It's a lot tougher to cover 3-4 good receivers than 1 great and 1 good and 1 meh

i'll throw into the mix that picking a WR very early in the draft has been riskier than one might reasonably expect -- a lot of can't misses, missed badly

the super receiver is a luxury that we can't afford yet. We need a much better line and everyone will look better with better protection. Once we take care of those priorities we can focus on a super receiver and as others have said they sometimes appear throughout the draft. After all Robby was a UDFA; Thielen too; Thomas was a second rounder.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this is a very rare good o-line draft. we should take advantage of that.
    we aren't loaded at every position but we can also get some help in FA too. o-line is weak there as is WR but edge and CB should be good to address in FA

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

steelers are 8-5 and a 3 game win streak without their Probowl QB (on their 3rd string QB) their pro bowl RB, and pro bowl WR. it's pretty impressive. and that's also after losing bell and brown. goes to show what a good D, good o-line, and good coaching can do for you

Red Menace and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's true. Taking receivers is tough. It really feels like they're either hit or miss and they can sometimes take a couple years to develop. Similar to defensive tackles, receivers can dominate college with shitty technique in terms of route running and winning at the LOS. It's harder to get separation in the pros.

Look at the 2016 and 2017 drafts. Duds all over the place.

I do think this class is incredible though. I think Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Tyler Johnson and Michael Pittman will all be good players.

I'm less sold on the rest.

NCJetsfan, chandler and J-Raw24 like this.