Sorry Mike McCarthy

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is it fair to say that most NFL franchises will struggle and do end up struggling as soon as they get to their backup quarterbacks? Especially franchises without an infrastructure in place?

I mean you tell me. Keep in mind that Tannehill signs a $90 million extension before Gase is hired.

In 2016 his backup options in free agency were:
    Ryan Fitzpatrick - re-signed as starter with us
    Brock Osweiler - 4 years/$72 million with Houston (starter)
    Chase Daniel - 3 years/$21 million with the Eagles
    RG3 - 2 years/$15 million with the Browns (starter)

Mike Glennon - 3 years/$45 million with the Bears (insurance for Trubisky)
    Brian Hoyer - 2 years/$12 million with the 49ers (backup)
    Nick Foles - 2 years/$11 million with the Eagles (backup)
    Josh McCown - 1 year/$6 million with us (starter)
    Case Keenum - 1 year/$2 million with the Vikings (backup)
    Ryan Fitzpatrick - 1 year/ $3 million with the Buccaneers (backup)

Kirk Cousins - 3 years/$84 million (starter)
    Drew Brees
    Case Keenum - 2 years/$36 million (starter)
    Sam Bradford - 1 year/$20 million (starter)
    AJ McCarron - 2 years/$10 million (backup)
    Chase Daniel - 2 years/$10 million (backup)
    Teddy Checkdown with us - 1 year/$6 million

You can look up the rest on Spotrac. Don't forget that the $10 million they gave to Jay Cutler was the last of their cap space before they went into the negative after Tannehill went down. I would estimate they wanted to keep that money around as most franchises do for slush funds.

Who do you propose was the best option? Case Keenum maybe? And we think he'd emulate the season he had in Minnesota with the #1 scoring defense and 7th ranked rushing offense? Teddy Bridgewater in 2018? Maybe.

But I mean c'mon now. I'm sure he had input on the backup quarterback. But to blame his QB selection and backup production after Tannehill went down multiple years in a row is kind of silly. Tannehill started his career with 64 straight starts.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

mistake

#122 NCJetsfan, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

McCarthy has assembled a coaching staff and they over tons of tape on everything in the NFL. Cue the Jet fans wanting Mike

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

5. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if McCarthy would want to come to NYJ. I suspect he knows a dumpster fire when he sees one. He left GB because he couldn't get along with AR, and the last thing he needs is to trash what credibility he has left trying to fix a problem the owners won't let him fix.

#125 LarryAlRalph, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The McCarthy train has left the station thanks to our resident Idiot/Genius CEO. We get Gase another year and probably another year after that. We can't have CJ admitting he fckd up this hire now can we???

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I still think not picking McCarthy was the right move as he definitely needed a year off to adjust, which is one of the main reasons I think the Gase hire was a terrible decision. He clearly needed a year off to adjust and was a losing head coach in Miami.

If CJ wants to prove that he’s capable of running this football, he’ll admit he’s wrong and that Gase wasn’t the right guy. It won’t happen though, Gase is coaching to where football is going!!!

rammagen, NYJFan10, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

True that..

Notice how the arrogant Johnsons did everything possible to turn off Mike M a multiple Playoff and SB winning Coach who wanted more decision making,control as he rightly should imo

Plus,Tell me what decent Coach with a winning track record wants to work with Owners who never demand anything??They were always saying "we don't expect Playoffs etc" during Bowles years blah blah. Meanwhile, they always expect big dividends from the franchise and value going straight to their already inflated net worth!

The Maras want to win, Tisch wants to win , the first thing Mets billionaire Cohen said was "he hates to lose"

The Johnson run the Jets like a Laundramat: No wonder fans are washed up, holding the bag and left out to dry

#128 NYJetsO12, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why there's so much Mccarthy love on this board. He's a terrible bland coach who's arrogance in his scheme robbed what should have been a multiple super bowl team of just that

Theres plenty of evidence to support this. Yes Rodgers is a jackass but Mccarthy is more to blame because of the "talent" he aimed to bring in. If you thought the Jets had some misses, boy did Green Bay too.

Just another "offensive guru", such an outdated term' who didn't coach to his talent

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Terlet.

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with the rationale of not wanting to give a coach the GM power...except the brilliant owner DID that with Gase lol

12. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Mike McCarthy is no great shakes but...hey he went toe to toe with a great Seahawk team after an amazing comeback. I'm sure he'll do fine in Dallas

How the hell did we take Adam Gase over this guy? One call from the forehead?

rammagen and stinkyB like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

He probably has one of the deepest and most talented roster at the top end as any team in the league. They're 1-2.

Better than Gase, sure. But let's see what happens with the Cowboys. They have what should be 4 gimme wins in the division and the Eagles look lost. If they sweep their division they could get in at 7-9.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Zeke Elliott
    Amari Cooper
    CeeDee Lamb
    Michael Gallop

Vs

Frank Gore
    Josh Malone
    Lawrence Cager
    Braxton Berrios

Pepsiguy5, Aero and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Aldon Smith hasn't played since 2015. He's been in the street ever since. He had 3 sacks yesterday and now leads the league. We have Henry Anderson.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

We also traded 3 second rounders to move up a few spots for Sam Darnold. Dallas got Dak in the 4 fucking round.

Barf.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

And Dak was given a top 5 OL, top 5 RB, and a decent group of WR's. Not to mention Witten as a safety blanket. Not saying he isn't good, but the Cowboys put him in a great situation to prosper.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Im not comparing the situations each were placed in, but since you did.....everything you mentioned: top Oline, top running back, reliable TE were all players drafted by Dallas.

We gave up 3 second rounders!!!!!! For what? Someone who doesn't have a good Oline, top RB or reliable TE. So of course Sam sucks now.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We gave up three 2nd rounders AND a 1st rounder!!!! For the life of me, I can't understand why so many of you totally forget the 1st rounder, the actual pick we used to take Sam. If we had taken Mahomes or Watson, we'd have had that pick as well to use on another position/player.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if Gase is actually a good coach coaching a really bad team, and no other coach could do better with this bunch? Look how quick Rex's teams took a nose dive after letting our WRs walk out and John Idzik walk in. Not one of our WRs would start on any other team. Our pro bowl RB is out, replaced by a 37 yr old dino. JD traded away our best D player and our next best D player opted out. We have ONE good O-lineman (injured now). Our savior Herndon is dropping passes. Our DBs haven't covered anyone since Revis' 2nd season.

I honestly look at this roster and have no idea what 'game plan' do draw up. No run game. No WRs. Thin Defense. The best I've heard on here is "Let Sam get that yard, or Let Sam roll out an improvise".

I hoping as our players start coming back from injury, and our O-line starts getting reps and cohesion, we'll keep losing games but playing MUCH better, maybe even pull a few out!