Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Bills fans hate Daboll lol.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there are probably 27 other teams whose fans hate their OC. Coaching is generally the first line of defense against fans.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yes me and every analyst who has said the same thing every time a Bills highlight is shown on TV are dead wrong.

3. BroadwayAaron

I was referencing his rookie year chief. If you went into last year thinking he could light it up, you were an idiot.

4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Great points. we should also consider this a work in progress. You can look at the entire offensive unit and not be afraid of anyone outside Sam. Bell should have had that moniker but for whatever reason that hasn't happened this year. Imagine him paired with some great and sure handed receivers, an above average line etc. Also keep in mind that Rodgers sat early in his career and had a chance to absorb and learn NFL nuances -- not so with Sam. And I'll add he seems to have his head screwed on straight -- which shouldn't be underestimated

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the bills troll is right. the bills offense is not at all built around Allen's running.

6. BrowningNagle

I don't think they hate anything right now. They are "win and in" and they have 3 games left. that hasn't been true for them since 1996

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'll rephrase. They hate Daboll as much as a 9-4 team that could be in position to win the division and make the playoffs could be lol

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

I don't mean they literally built it around his running a la the Ravens. They don't have him doing things he can't do, which is quite a bit honestly. What's baffling to me is how poorly they use Singletary in the passing game but than again, if Allen tries to throw to him in the flat, the ball is probably ending up in the third row.

9. BrowningNagle

no, that's wrong. their offense is not built around Allen running and its not even close to what Baltimore is doing. I'm just telling you dude, you are wrong. watch them play. Its surprising how many short passes they call. Its possible Allen is not as bad as the internet nerds thought he was

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But what things can't Allen do? I mean he can run, he has a monster NFL arm, he's tall in the pocket and not scared to get hit.

They've put together a much better roster than us and have an offensive line that can allow him to wing the ball down the field, and the arm to do it. They're limiting his throwing as much as they can because he's not incredibly accurate.

That's a luxury a team can do when they have a good running game. We don't have that luxury because our offensive line is trash.

It's not like they're doing anything secretive tailored to his abilities. They're just doing what most NFL teams do if they have a decently built offense, and a good defense. We have neither. The only chance we have to win games is to fling the ball around for 60 minutes.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with you on the mechanics part, because even with his poor footwork he's still an accurate QB.

His release is very very quick, again not like Rodgers but it is very quick.

At this point Sam needs a coach in his ear telling him it's okay to take the easy 3-4 yard gain to setup a 3rd and manageable or pick up the first down. This is something that will hopefully come with more experience playing QB.

12. BrowningNagle

the funny thing is for all the talk about Allen's big arm, he has been more accurate in the short - intermediate passing game than he has been throwing deep balls. They haven't hit many.

I think he throws it too hard sometimes though. It can be difficult for his receivers to catch a blazing fastball from 5 yards away

13. BrowningNagle

I saw someone say Darnold sometimes looks like a linebacker trying to play QB and ever since then its hard to get it out of my mind watching him. especially when he is erratic like he was Sunday

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Well he was a LB 3.5 years ago before his USC days. He is still learning the position

Also to quote your previous post about Allen and his intermediate/deep passes. This was last week vs Baltimore.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

yeah last week Allen was bad, no doubt. they blitzed him a lot, maybe he's been figured out

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they are what their record says. I could play that game too. nobody has had more injuries then us.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm talking about Sam's lower-body mechanics, not his throwing motion. His throwing motion is fine, but his feet are all over the place and he doesn't step into many of his throws. As for his big-play ability and arm talent, it's really good. But it turns into a double-edged sword where the bad plays do more harm than the big plays do good. And I don't think you can get away with the dumb stuff unless you're as talented as Favre, which I don't think he is. In the end, he'll either need to be in an offense he doesn't have to carry, or he'll need to fix his issues while maintaining his big-play ability. Good luck getting the former as a Jet, and the latter won't be easy.

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Frankly, Powell is a better blocker and picks up blitzes better.

19. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Sam has played against some weak defenses lately ,the true test will be the next 3 games

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's true. His footwork is bad. Really bad. It makes Geno Smith's look excellent. I hope he works on it. But his arm more than makes up for it because he can make those throws flat footed, back foot, etc.

He just needs to learn his range on certain throws and not aim the ball when he does so.