Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

2. J-Raw24

Bell's replacement

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, for several reasons. One, I was and am still tired of 1st time HCs for the Jets. They've never worked out. With Rhule and his whole staff having to learn the NFL and adjust to the differences from college, it would have taken 2-3 years to get their acts together. Two, with Rhule only having one year of experience as an assistant OL coach in the NFL, I thought he had zero chance of succeeding. Three, partially because of #s 1 & 2, the Johnsons may have been willing to give him more time to develop/adjust than they will Gase. At least Gase is an offensive coach. It may not have helped much so far, but I think it will help put more focus on offense during the upcoming offseason, whereas with Rhule, the focus may have remained on D.

4. J-Raw24

Number 3 wins. I know we need edge and cbs and there are quite a few good ones. But our offense is... well offensive. And it has been for about 12 or more years. Either we have a good line and crap qb with medocre help or we have a good qb prospect with crap o line or we have a stout run game with... its just terrible

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All your points are good ones, and admittedly I did NOT want a 1st time HC either, BUT...I did not like the Gase hiring. I won't go so far as to say I preferred Rhule or another rookie, but I DID say Gase was a bad hire then.

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Yea.....I think it has already been amply demonstrated that when and if that happens, it will be a financially based decision, not a merit based one.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Yesterday at about 4 when Al Riveron decided to overturn pass interference and then a Ficken field goal sealed that Adam Gase will be back next year. At this point it is useless to hope he is fired. Having at least won one more than Bowles with the same team he can say we are headed in the right direction and if you give me and Joe Douglas an offseason of getting rid of MacCagnan guys and adding our guys we'll be even better. It is what it is. He is here. That being said there has to be a playoff mandate next year. Maybe not publicly but if they don't make the playoffs next year he has to go. Year two as him 5 as a coach and three for Darnold. Can't say I'm happy he's staying but at this point I'll accept it and hope beyond hope he becomes a better coach and this team can improve.

SOJAZ and jilozzo like this.
  9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree, its frustrating because we are just wasting years at a time at this point. but the jets were NEVER going to fire gase this year or this off season. they would not ever pay 3 head coaches in one season.

CotcheryFan, KurtTheJetsFan and AJT73 like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is it safe to say that the team has improved under Gase from Bowles though?

Whether that's a standard we want to live with or not is open to interpretation. But Darnold is 5-5 as a starter this year. He's improved in just about every category with a worse offensive line and running game.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I truly believed that if we lost yesterday he would have been fired at the end of the season. You cannot go 0-6 in your own division and retain your job. Just can't happen.

12. J-Raw24

Totally agree. I think Darnold has improved. Verdict is still out on Gase.

jilozzo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's the maddening thing about rooting for this team - what should be obvious and make sense to most people, is apparently foreign to the thinking of these owners. Their ability to screw up seems bottomless. I believe that we could pick any number of posters here, and put them in charge and achieve success much faster than the Johnsons.

14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Was hoping if we lost yesterday and lost out maybe he'd be gone but like you said Darnold's improved and that's what they will fall back on for Gase. Improvements I've seen from Gase is his early play calling but his in game adjustments are not good and his use of players to their strengths and game planning to opponents weaknesses. What I hope for is a real offseason in is program getting players he wants and the ones he doesn't out. I hope most of us are wrong but I just don't believe he'll be the guy to lead the Jets to a Super Bowl.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But I don't understand? You want us to lose the rest of our games so, you can be right about the head coach?

What about if we win the rest of our games and our young quarterback continues to show improvement while as an organization we had a four game flip in the win-loss column?

It's not unreasonable to look at this team and season as an absolute disaster from an injury and then subsequent talent standpoint. If completely healthy, we were probably an outside shot at 8-8. We weren't completely healthy, we are a mess with injuries there's two opening day starters left on the offensive line, one linebacker, zero corners, two receivers done for the season, our starting tightend done for the season.

The team is battling for Gase. And everyone just wants to be right about him sucking because it was an awful start to the year.

What does everyone want gameplan wise? More clusterfuck runs for 2-3 yards a clip? He shelled up and did that some yesterday. It wasn't effective.

#2815 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with what you say. I want the team to win. I want Darnold to improve and I want to go into next year and have a reasonable shot at the playoffs. Winning and improving does that. I'm all for that. I am not a fan of Gase having seen him coach both the Jets and Dolphins. The way he approaches things especially with using players and adapting mid game. If and a big if on his part he can improve we have a chance. Darnold and the rest of the team I want to do well. I don't know if Gase can evolve. In four years of coaching he makes the same mistakes. Year one or two yes but year four it is not acceptable. I do not believe he can lead us to a Super Bowl. I hope he proves me wrong and I have been wrong many times before.

That being said about yesterday and rooting against them. I don't root against them but common sense at times takes over. If we lost we'd be in better draft position to either draft a player or trade back. That being said I high fived my 4 year old after the win and have my Jets victory shirt for victory Monday. In April I'll remember this and be upset if we miss out on a tackle or wr we want.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Jets last 5 seasons
    2014: 4-12
    2015: 10-6
    2016: 5-11
    2017: 5-11
    2018: 4-12

I'd be surprised if the Jets pull off any of these last three games, so yay for another 5-11 season. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

jilozzo, alleycat9 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It's not about the money. It will never be about the money. The hit to the Johnsons' pocketbook would be like the hit to yours if you had dinner at TGIFridays instead of Applebees.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

if you say so bossman.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I would like to see Rhule record after 5 years of Mac recruiting his players.

FJF likes this.