Should the Jets cheat too?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Posted in the NFL Forum, where it belongs, six hours ago.

3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

It’s a Jet fan question
    and now posted here as a Jet fan opinion question

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In that case, sure, every team should cheat. Or maybe none should.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

All cheating would do for the Jets win us enough games to hurt our draft position and keep our crappy coach.

jco2007 likes this.
  6. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You have had great draft positions in the past and what have you acheived?

The average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years according to the NFL Players Union. Running backs have the shortest at 2.57 years. Kickers and punters have the longest at 4.87 years. NBA players average 4.8 years, NHL players average 5 years, and MLB players average 5.6 years.

So you would think that logic would state that teams with better draft positions should excel due to the short careers of NFL players. But as we all know this is not the case.

So maybe worrying about the draft position might not be what is really necessary for a team to improve as you think?

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So you're saying we should cheat?

8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The point I was trying to make was successful franchises know how to teach lesser talented players to become better players. They are probably better talent evaluators and better game tacticians also.

Ok before I answer your question, let us define what exactly cheating really means.

If you can get a competitive advantage without breaking the rules, then by rule it is not cheating. So, by all means, do it that way.

If you can get a competitive advantage while breaking the rules, but the rule is not enforced, then your somewhat cheating but it's ok I guess so go ahead and do it because you can get away with it.

If you can get a competitive advantage while breaking the rules, but the rule is enforced sometimes, then you have a risk award situation too evaluate.

If you can get a competitive advantage while breaking the rules, but the rule is enforced forcefully, then you would be smart not to do it.

So for example when I was a youngster playing football I may have cheated. When playing defense I would try to hear what the opposing QB was saying in the huddle. I was most interested in what the snap count was. But eventually, I learned that many teams actually had the same play-calling scheme as our team. But it would not take long to recognize a previous play was being called again even if I didn't fully understand their play-calling language. Teams were not running that many plays back then. I learned pretty quickly that numbers usually represented holes in the offensive line. Odd and even numbers represented sides. Back then I was playing Nose Guard on a 5-2 defense which gave me a good excuse to be as close as possible to the other team's huddle. The head coach of my team was so impressed by how fast I was off the ball as a Nose Guard. I would be past the offensive center and guards before they had a chance to get out of their stance. I would be in the opposing backfield so many times and people just thought I was the best Nose Guard they ever saw. You also have to realize that the offensive center is at a big disadvantage having to hike the ball in youth football. I would always align myself directly at the center so I could go left or right to avoid the guard that was assisting him also. When I couldn't hear the opposing QB's huddle, I didn't do as well. I had no idea if I was actually cheating, but to me, it made the game of football really cool. I got away with this scheme until High School football when my own coach called me on it during practice.

When I was a youngster playing CYO basketball, my coach Father Healy once said: "It is only a foul if a referee calls it a foul".

So maybe Father Healy, if he was alive today would say, your only cheating if they say you are cheating.

9. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Come on, we're the Jets. If we cheated we'd be crap at that too.

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah. The Jets would send Loggains with a mobile phone, wearing a shirt with the the words 'Don't look at me I'm not supposed to be here' all over it. He'd then stand in the middle of the practice asking everyone to go a bit slower and speak a bit louder so I can get everything clearly.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

A masters thesis on cheating from a patriot fan. Who’dve thunk?

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is what bottom looks like these days...

Brook! and joe like this.
  13. Its a dangerous game of wills.Theres no place for systemic underhanded tactics.the whole point of the game is who is the toughest, most cohesive, most athletic & the smartest..not who has the most elaborate espionage to exploit opponents. If the Jets cheated to the elaborate level the Patriots have been accused & punished id hate them & disrespect them the same way i do the pats.

Not a houlier than thou thing..i just love the purity of the game

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pepsiguy5, Patriot and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm sure the irony is lost on him.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This post has left me all deflated.

Red Menace and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Pretty long post to get to the point. Father Healy agrees the Pats are cheating.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Father Healy would say you're, lest he get wrapped on the knuckles by a surly nun.

Patriot and K'OB like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes. The ol' it's only cheating if they get caught, but they got caught so somehow they still aren't cheating according to Patriot fan bias.

FJF, NY Jets68 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member