Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]
    we’re using raw numbers, not logic.

Jets81 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Logic doesn't belong on this board, I guess @Jets81 didn't get the memo!

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is where our awful coaching drives me nuts. Most young QBs are going to be inconsistent with the rare exception like a Mahomes or Lamar. Look at Josh Allen and the Bills... no team QB'd by Allen should be sniffing the division title yet here they are with 3 games left and they are playing for it. Allen has completed less than 54% of his passes in more than a quarter of his games so far this season. He's getting by using his legs which not only gives them production but opens up the field for him to try and make a throw, which he's not exactly stellar at. But they've been coached fantastically. The offense has been built around Allen's ability to run. They don't ask him to do what he can't do and only make him do what he can do and that opens up things for the running game.

If Gase tried even a little bit to cater to the talent he has, we probably have more wins and Sam probably looks a whole lot more developed than he has.

NYJFOREVER and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

^^^^^
    THIS!

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Gase's inability to have Sam get out of the pocket and roll out is going to kill us in 2020.

6. FJF

[QUOTE="BroadwaySam, post: 3885887, member: 9421"The offense has been built around Allen's ability to run. [/QUOTE]
    The result of having the coach and gm on the same page for a few years

7. BroadwayAaron

Well that and also having the head coach not be a complete idiot.

J-Raw24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

It’s fucking astonishing that an NFL coach who presumably watches film of his own QB can’t figure out how to best utilize his QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

[

The biggest play in question yesterday, the third and one throw to Crowder, was a bootleg. We also ran several vs. Cincinnati. One was Berrios big drop. Another was an incompletion to I believe Demaryus Thomas on a come back when no one was open and Ryan Griffin was jogging his backside drag.

I don't know how many bootlegs you want a game. 3-4 isn't enough? You can't just run ten a game especially without the aid of a running game.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

The result of having the coach and gm on the same page for a few years[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a team construction issue to me.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Man if yesterday was a bad day by Darnold standards we are in good shape going forward and into the future at QB.

Also you guys must not remember what a bad day is for a QB, something we have seen far too often as Jets fans. We would’ve killed for days like yesterday from some of our past QBs.

NYJFOREVER and chandler like this.
  12. tubby

tubby Active Member

100% agree.

Darnold didn't look great by any stretch of the imagination. But if that's a bad game....I'm taking it.

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I thought Sam sucked yesterday and he had plenty of time and guys wide open and missed them. I fail to understand why its the Head coaches fault other then it fits the Anti Gase narrative and its piling on at this point. The fans, the writers, talk radio and even the announcers hate him. That's the biggest reason to root for him

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean our standards are so bad and well below what the NFL considers the standard for quarterbacks that it makes your statement true.

I still don't think he played a good game. But this four game stretch by Geno below reminds me of where we have been.

45/94 (48%) 504 passing yards, 0 passing touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 32 rushing yards, 1 touchdown, 2 fumbles lost

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So Sam Darnold had 270 yards passing with 2 TD and 1 INT with a rating of 87.

The same day, Tom Brady had 169 yards passing with 1 TD and 1 INT with a rating of 63.

And the game yesterday was a "bad" game for Darnold? LOL

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Did anyone say Brady had a good game?

All Gas No Shake and Acad23 like this.
  17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think Brady's done. Look at his stats since the game against the Jets. He went from consistent 65%+ completion rate to having only one game in the last six above 55%. If the Pats defense wasn't top in the league and their schedule wasn't so soft, they would probably be a 9-7 type team this season. If this continues into the playoffs I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady call it quits after this season.

18. FJF

I have a hard time believing this board wouldn’t have been calling for McDermott’s head going 6-10!after a playoff season.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't remember stating that Brady had a good game nor that anyone said he did.

Right over the head

20. Jonathan_Vilma

They also signed a veteran center from a playoff team in his prime. We signed a runningback who hasn't played in 21 months.

They drafted the best pass rushing defensive tackle in the draft. We drafted Quinnen Williams. Full disclosure: I don't think all is lost with Williams.

They signed a slot receiver and a burner on the outside. We signed a slot receiver.

They drafted an offensive tackle, tightend and runningback who were all day one starters. We drafted Edoga, an edge rusher who didn't make the roster and Trevon Wesco.

Yeah I'd say it's a team construction problem.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.