Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I wish I could like this more than once.

jetsclaps and MoWilkBeast like this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Sam needs to keep working on making quicker reads and getting rid of the ball quicker. That play in the RZ where he had Crowder wide open but held on to the ball too long and gave the DB time to recover was a prime example of this.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It’s mind boggling to me how people can “watch” these games and believe Sam isn’t the future QB for this team. You can watch this team for 15 minutes and see how talent deficient they are.

The most important positions in today’s NFL are QB, edge rusher, OL, CB, and WR. Someone let me know what impact players we have at any of those positions. The only reason we score points is because of Sam. Take him out and you get weeks 2-5 of this season, oh how quick people forget.

This team is the culmination of piss-poor drafting for over a decade. This won’t be fixed in one offseason, hell maybe not even two, but the Jets most definitely have the most important position in all of sports filled for the next decade.

dawinner127, Attackett and FJF like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a slow upward process but he is definitely trending better. 18 touchdowns to 12 turnovers this year. He was 18 to 17 last year. Better completion percentage as well as 40 more yards per game.

He picks up chunk plays very well and really has unbelievable arm talent. He still needs to learn the intricacies of putting a drive together though. And when a three yard scramble is better than an eight yard pass. When a two yard crossing route is better than a seventeen yard flag route.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’d say at least half of this can be fixed by competent coaching and playcalling honestly

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A lot of this will come with experience. He’s only been a QB for 3.5 years and is only 22 years old. When his rookie deal is up he will be 25 years old, the sky is the limit for him.

Also just a fun fact, USC wanted him to play linebacker when he was recruited. It doesn’t really fit into my point but it’s a cool fact

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The short throws were open all game long. It's as if you believe Gase was in his ear telling him not to throw it to them when he's been pigeon-holed here as a coach that only tells his quarterbacks to throw short.

8. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. You are right , a QB coach as a minimum.

9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I've seen several sources talk about how Gase has called more long pass plays this year than any year previous. I haven't done the comparison myself so I'm not backing that. But if you were in his shoes and under that heat yoy may push for long throws too. I'd have to sit and go through plays to really know. Not sure I want to spend that much time on something unimportant in 2 years regardless of if Gase is fired or not.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he should run it more. there are plenty of times when he has had room to run for a nice 7, 8 yard gain and he has tried to throw it at the last minute for a bigger play. Just get the yards

11. BroadwayAaron

Gase himself said in his presser yesterday that he didn’t do a good job putting Sam in good situations. Questioned his own play calling and said after the pick that he got worked up and made some bad decisions. Maybe don’t send multiple guys 15 yards par the sticks on third and 2. Design a run maybe? It’s not like he hasn’t been able to do it.

I’m not making this up. Gase said it himself.

12. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Your not going to believe what a, even decent, O-line will do for this kid......

FJF, NYJFOREVER and dawinner127 like this.
  13. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Easy for us to say when we are watching from the booth. Who knows what it looked like on the field.

That was the most annoying part of yesterday's game - the announcers. Calling out every open player Darnold didn't see. Yeah, anyone can call out open players from the booth you two idiots.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I would rather have listened to Booger than Feely yesterday. It was absolutely brutal.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold was definitely missing open receivers yesterday. He is better than most young QBs at not doing that normally but yesterday he was bad at that

94Abraham likes this.
  16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

He barely had any pressure on him yesterday and kept missing wide open receivers.

17. BroadwayAaron

He had a bad game. He's also had very good to great games with terrible OL play. I wouldn't take yesterday as the norm, it was closer to an outlier than anything.

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not on that one. You didn't need X ray vision to see that Darnold missed Crowder on that play because he delayed. Making better, quicker reads is the next step in his evolution.

Almost all announcers for the most part are bloviators these days. There's a few I don't mind but that's the exception.

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Yea...that's one game. There was 3 or 4 others ones where he was running for his life all game long. Too many games like that can have lingering affects. Let me see him behind a decent Oline for a half dozen games, then if he is still doing some of this, there is a problem.

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

And fold in that he had a couple of god awful games this year (e.g., NE -- something like 4 picks). With experience, in the future, those games will be merely bad and his stats would look that much better

it's ok to say he is capable of being FQB and that he can have a mediocre game from time to time. One big difference will be whether we find a way to win on those mediocre days.