2019 NFL Week 14: New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 5, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's funny, people were concerned he was going to act up. Instead he's been a model citizen. He just can't play.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Wait so Powell gets 74 yards, long of 11 and it's deemed that Bell is toast??

C'mon now.

Only truth is the Jets need a RB to straight hit the holes with how bad this OLine is blocking. Bell's style doesn't fit and that's it. It's not that he's washed. The line is BAD. And he stayed home because he was sick, like stop this BS.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Oh I understand what your point was. The kicker was just a bad example to use because of all the things to get on Gase about this was probably the one thing that was completely out of his control. I don't think anyone thinks Gase has coached well. A few times he's been just about competent but that's outweighed by the times he's looked truly terrible. I'm not sure McCarthy would be doing much better though.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm really tired of this "running style" bullshit with LeVeon. A career backup just outplayed him. Running style has nothing to do with it.

His "running style" only works behind a top 5 offensive line. Rarely do runningbacks have the luxury to be as patient as he was to let his blocks develop like he did in Pittsburgh.

And now he looks like the slowest player in the NFL. Watch the game tape. The running style argument is like the Leonard Williams hidden production argument.

He makes $13 million a year. He is supposed to be one of the best runningbacks in the league. He should be playing better than he is regardless of circumstance.

He was. 2017 Bell might've been able to make this work. 2019 Bell is toast.

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

It could be his running style. As every single Analysts who get paid to talk football says. You get paid to talk football?
    But that said I am starting to agree with you. He doesn't fit the system, we could use the picks. I think Bell still has good football left. But for a 2nd and 4th, I'll pack his bags for him. We need more picks.
    I think he's been hurt or run down most the year. Watch the Cleveland game though and he looks good. So washed up, no. But for those picks and another chance at a good wr or lineman. Pack him up.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Bro are you allowed to form your own opinion or do you strictly listen to what analysts say?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that players need to adjust too. Running style is a silly argument. What's his style? Slow? He looks like LenDale White out there.

How is he run down? He hasn't played in almost two years. His useage is down 5 touches per game of his career average.

He doesn't look good at all.

MJK likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

He's known for being a patient back and letting holes develop. Our oline doesn't develop big holes. So he looks slow and he hesitates because thats what he does until he finds a big hole. He run style has been talked about everywhere. Watch film from 2016.

Problem is with the line and system. Watch the cleveland game and he looks completely different. He may have a nagging injury as well multiple things could be an issue but he's not washed up.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Ooof bringing up tv analysts is a weak way to start an argument...those guys are wrong about 80 percent of the time. Lol

9. J-Raw24

I can agree with that but also you can watch all of Bell's film. See the way he runs yourself. Slow and patient until he gets a big hole then he makes yards... our line isn't making big holes... Powell is used to that, been doing it for a few years now. Ty is used to it to and extent as well... maybe Bell got spoiled? Either way his style won't work behind any "bad" o line.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

You know what that tells me? He played behind a good to great offensive line. I've watched plenty of Le'Veon Bell. I'm well aware of what his 'style' is.

I'm sure every runningback in the league would love to be patient and wait for holes to develop. That doesn't change three things.

1) He can't find the holes when they are there (rare but not completely non-existent).
    2) He's extremely slow when he gets the ball in space. His screen pass vs. Miami the first time is a good example of this.
    3) He has lost his burst after his patented hesitation step.

He's been a good citizen and really a great locker room dude since getting here which is why I don't love ripping him, but I'm calling it how I see it.

It's even more alarming if he has nagging injuries that have bothered him all season. He has an injury history and he's entering the death years for runningbacks.

We need to pawn him off on someone. Pay some of his salary on the way if we need to.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

his running style is not a silly argument, its a valid one. He hits the hole with the same speed here that he did in Pittsburgh. It looks like it was the wrong decision to sign him but he's the same guy he was.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I just don't see it, Nagle.

He's not being patient here he's being hesitant. The offensive line sucks but he's not decisive at all and he looks slow doing it.

You're telling me he's looked that quick here?

13. BrowningNagle

several false statements in there.

No- not every running back in the league would love to be patient and wait for holes to develop. Not even a little bit. Its a common problem for running backs to just run straight ahead into the ass of their linemen and not wait for holes to develop. thats what separates the average from the good/great.

you can say he's slow in space but its an outright lie to say he can't find the holes when they are there. Very simply - the holes AREN't there. And if you told me to pick a running back on this planet to find a hole when there is a small or rare one, I would choose Le'Veon Bell. He is the best in the game at finding holes.

also, evidently you haven't watched plenty of Le'Veon Bell. He's never been a burner in space

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

it is hard to be decisive when there are no holes to decide upon. this offensive line is atrocious.

look, maybe its better short term to give it to Powell so he can just run straight ahead into the asses of the linemen for 3 yards at a time. But it doesn't mean Bell is washed up

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. J-Raw24

If we keep him and get an O line, your opinion of him will change. If we don't get the line fixed this was a wasted signing.he never had the burst. He was the smartest runner in the game in that he could stop, make the defenders stop because they were unsure, then find the hole and hit it.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm well aware he wasn't a burner and nowhere did I say he was. But he always had quick feet. His hesitations move was much faster in Pittsburgh.

I think you're underestimating what being away from the game for so long would do for a rhythm runner that's predicated on vision. When said runner is slower to the hole when they find it (when they already weren't fast to begin with) then they're going to struggle a ton.

I'd pick 2016 Le'Veon Bell too. I think 2019 Bell is a different player.

Not much else to do but wait and see and hope he improves drastically behind an improved offensive line.

BrowningNagle and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Well I certainly hope so. I'm just not sure that he will be what he was.

18. J-Raw24

Honestly that's the 2019 Jets in a nutshell. I like Darnold, he has potential . Will he take the next step? Wait and see. We have different opinions on Gase, will he work out? Wait and see. Will Douglas be what we both hope he is? Wait and see.

19. BrowningNagle

I don’t think Bell will be back next year. But even if he is, he certainly won’t be back after the end of next year when the Jets can get out of his contract.

That means you will never see him play -here - with a drastically improved offensive line

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I think I'm just more patient with Gase than being in favor of him. The game management side of the game was shaky yesterday.

Leaving three points on the table on 4th and 1 from chip shot field goal range was an atrocious decision. I appreciate aggressiveness. But that was wreckless. I also don't like that he didn't try to get closer on the game winning field goal attempt with 35 seconds left.