Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

He barely beat Fitz , whose entire offense weapons,except for his 3rd wide out and tight ends were not on the team 2 weeks ago, They are either waivers or practice squad pick ups. We barely beat them at home and if their kicker makes that fg. We should beat a team like that at home by 2 touchdowns.

Acad23 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That throw to Smith early on the game winning drive are plays you have to make as a FQB. Not an easy throw by any means.

Darnold wasn't great at all, but at the end of the game, made the plays necessary. Lucky flag at the end, but many times have we've seen Tom Brady extend a drive cause of a flag. It happens.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The throw to Robby on the prior drive was a big boy play too. And this isn’t even including the plays that he’s so good at when things break down and he makes things happen. The Robby TD wasn’t necessarily that but that decision and throw is what FQBs do.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Sam mad some mistakes today.
    3rd and 1 rollout he had first down if he ran, instead forced to Crowder.
    Then the sack at then end was not smart. Sam at this rate should be smarter than that.

however Jets won and he did the job.

And we currently do not have a HC. Gase is basically just an OC.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sam played like he didn’t trust anyone else and was chasing last weeks points. Forced a lot , took too many chances when there were safer productive plays out there.
    Still have faith, my quarterback

NYJFOREVER and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

There’s absolutely no reason for faith to wane at this point. We’ve seen so much that says he will put it together and he has what it takes. We just have to hope he can do it in spite of a god awful head coach.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I said "he failed to convert them", I diidn't mean he failed on ALL of them. But a FQB has to convert most of them, and he's not doing that, at least consistently. I agree he's young and has had lousy coaching in the NFL. He's got a lot of talent and has shown glimpses of being a FQB, but he needs to start doing it more consistently.

8. BroadwayAaron

This might be my favorite play of the day even though it looks like nothing. Sam got up to the line, read the D, changed the play and got the ball out immediately.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sam's an average QB who has an occasional good game.

Face it, fellas.

He ain't there yet.

10. ColoradoContrails

I'm not trying to be picky, just realistic.

11. BroadwayAaron

With that being said, here’s the play I hated the most:

there’s no reason to throw that ball. Just run for the first. It’s there, take it. These are the kinds of decisions that need to go away as he gets older and matures. I’m not worried at all about missing a deep ball here and there, that will come as the game slows down and he trusts what’s around him. Decisions like this are what separates a good QB from a franchise QB.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was. But it didn't really look like Burgess caught that anyways.

13. ColoradoContrails

Yep. And it's okay - up to a point - that he's making mistakes. That's how you learn. Will Rogers once said: "Experience may be the best teacher, but the best way to get experience is to make mistakes". I still have confidence that he'll get there, but fair or not, the obstacles he keeps having to overcome can make him or break him. Only time will tell. Having Gase as his HC/OC is his biggest obstacle.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Understandable, but that was a big play in the game. Give the guy some support and perhaps we'll see better results. I think he's a FQB.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But it’s coming.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Seriously, why do you believe that?

Ralebird likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's funny hearing fans talk about breaks that went our way. For once. Bail out? My ass.

The drive before our "bail out drive" Darnold marched us down the field for a game winning FG drive. It was the DEFENSE that put Darnold in a "bail out" situation by allowing Miami and Fitz to scramble into FG range for the potential game winner.

No mention of that? Omg a flag that went nyj way for once now a Darnold bailout kid played well under shitty circumstances.

Must've been bailed out 4 of 5 weeks too, hah; 4-1.

Heading in. No Bell. No Jamal. No shot at playoffs? Behind a complete makeshift offensive line? All I had hope for was to see Darnold play ball. And it makes me hopeful for our future knowing that he's a winner within crap situations. My daughter is 8. She'll be driving a car by the time Darnold just turns 30 build an o line Douglas and this Franchise will be in awesome hands with Darnold under the helm.

And we're talking about a bail out? Are the Jets not allowed to get calls too? Our defense should have closed out the game after Darnold's FIRST 4TH QUARTER GAME WINNING DRIVES so who cares about a bail out when he shouldn't have been in position for one if Gregg Williams closed out the Phins almost game winning FG.

#77 DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Fitz on a bad day out played Darnold, Just because Miami had no weapons on offense.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you think this game was shitty circumstances, you're about to get a rude awakening when we face the 11-2 Ravens, 8-5 Steelers, and 9-4 Bills.

20. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

He won the game. He threw two touchdowns. Had one bad throw on the INT and had a bad decision on the 3rd and 1 throw to Crowder. Other than that he was solid and he won the game. The big test will be the next three weeks against elite defenses. How will the o-line hold up and how will Gase be creative in covering that weakness?