Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was basically the definition of a bailout. I get that it probably was pass interference but with the way the league does not overturn calls on the field with that penalty it's utter horseshit that they go back and overturned it in favor of us.

2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Seems like the league has made a shift in what they will overturn as the playoffs approach....expect the percentages to change drastically .

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you're saying the league mandated that overturn to had the Jets the win, I'm skeptical. I think it was just a case of what the review process was designed for, and this time it worked. I DO agree that Sam and the Jets got lucky that it did work this time because there's only a 20% overturn rate.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, this is just one more way the NFL can tip games to the outcomes they want.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Oh not at all. I don't believe in league wide conspiracy theories unless the Patriots are involved.

But I do think it was a ticky-tack overturn.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It was much better than this year though...

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Believe it or not franchise QBs can have ugly performances too. It's what the QB does during opportune moments that ultimately defines what a franchise QB truly is.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and Section 336 like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sam played below average today IMO. He was not sharp, he missed wide open receivers, and he stared down at receivers all day. Calling it horse shit however, is a classic Jet fan horse shit exaggeration. OL gave him time, but he is still unable to read the field and throw the ball quickly.
    Anderson played very well and he is a keeper in my view. He saved at least one interception on Darnold if not more, and made some great catches. Gase play calling was mediocre once again. Going on 4th down instead of kicking a field goals that puts us 7 points ahead was bizarre to say the least.
    This game really told us very little about the state of this team, except to note that we are a very undisciplined team that makes killer mistakes at the most inopportune time. Greg Williams is the real deal and hands down the best coach out there for the Jets. He keeps us on the game with little or no real talent. He is far and away better at developing young talent than Gase. Without him we are probably a one win team at best.
    The big question for me still remains, is Gase good enough to be a winning HC and make Sam a top QB? So far, I see no evidence.

Ralebird and TonyFtLaud like this.
  9. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Brady looks like he's as good as done. The division would be finally wide open for the foreseeable future but we have Gase, and Darnold doesn't look like he's ready to take over Brady's spot in the division...

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I really do hope that we don’t stay so loyal to Gase that we end up letting Sam walk for some stupid reason. We won’t know how good he really is until he’s playing for a real coach. I think it’s pretty obvious he can be very very good because he has been plenty.

Mark Lattimer and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, that question has been answered already this season several times over.

Gase is not an NFL level coach, period, let alone head coaching material. The damage that he's done to this franchise already in 13 games is just astounding and has set this franchise back by multiple years. A winning season, let alone any talk of playoffs, is not a realistic proposition so long as he's here. How Christopher Johnson can continue to allow this bull to happen and take the fans' money is infuriating. I never thought I'd be happy to see Woody return to run this team, but he can't get back here soon enough. He at least managed to stumble into a year or two of success here and there. There's zero evidence out there that Gase and Chris Johnson can even point us in the direction where we can even see success on the horizon, let alone get us to within sniffing distance of it.

PabloJa and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

One thing that has me very optimistic that he will be the guy we all are hoping for, is his resillance. After that ghost comment and the New England game, most 22 year old's would have folded and looked like shit the rest of the year. He came back firing and has played extremely well since.

I think he's got the tools and ability to be a FQB. We just need to be better putting talent around him

13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Well have to see how Sam pans out. If Sam is the real deal, we don’t need the perfect coach to unleash him. The next 2 years are crucial to see where Sam is at and if he’s the future or not. His lifespan here we certainly outdo Gase though.

14. BroadwayAaron

I’m not ready to calL Tannehill the real deal by any means but we don’t need any more proof that Gase holds back players.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm still on the wait and see train with, Sam. I have seen flashes and a lot of potential, more-so than prior QB's of our recent past. That doesn't mean much though until we see consistent QB play that is unquestionable to not only us fans, but the rest of the league. I'm hopeful though. I'm just scared that this current coaching regime is doing more harm than good for the development of, Sam. Another year with Gase could be exceptionally troubling for a young QB. IMO

Just look at, Tannehill. He goes from looking like a complete joke under, Gase. Then going to the Titans and looking like a capable QB.

Imagine ownership having direct comparisons to work from (Tannehill), an obvious failed history (Dolphins), and well below average results (This Season) to work with, and still proclaim Gase as the HC for the 2020 season. That would be crazy, right?

16. ColoradoContrails

That's true, but Sam had several of these today and failed to convert them. It's just one game, but he hasn't really demonstrated that he'll be the "difference maker" that a FQB is defined by. I'm rooting for him, but today he didn't do it, and has yet to prove he can.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The test starts now. We finish the season against the Ravens, Steelers, and Bills. If Sam looks good and maybe even pulls off a win, I'll head into the offseason feeling hopeful about him. Even though it'll ensure Gase stays on at coach. However, things could also get really ugly. He currently has 15 TDs to 11 INTs; he could finish the season with more INTs than TDs. If that happens, this board is going to turn on him.

18. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

I’d bet a $1k that Chris Johnson doesn’t even know who Tannehill is.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It really wasn't...that was much more of a pass interference than the one which took a TD off the board earlier in the game.

20. BroadwayAaron

I dunno. I don’t really agree that he failed to convert all of them. The kid made some plays today he just also missed a bunch. In general, you can point to most games in his career and find more than a handful of things he’s doing at an NFL level and sometimes above average. At age 22 on a poorly coached team with a total lack of talent around him.