Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yep. He didn't play a good game at all. He took a bad sack in a no-sack situation to knock us out of field goal range. He missed several open receivers. He fired what should've been an interception towards Robbie Anderson at the goal line and screwed up that third and one whether you want to argue he should've ran or made a better throw to Crowder.

He played a bad game and had a chance in spite of himself.

dmw, SOJAZ, jco2007 and 3 others like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Flores made a big time adjustment in the 2H. Sam played well in the 1st half even with those drops. Gase did absolutely nothing to help the kid out in the 2H. Completely out coached in the 2H.. again.

SOJAZ and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

That wasn't a bail out.. that was clear PI. The dolphins head coach can cry as much as he wants, it was PI way more that what Burgess was called for.

We're all negative Jet fans, but this isn't reality.

rohirrim665, Andy_M, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I won't try to speak for Dierking, but I agree he was "bailed out", not because it was a bad call that went thee Jets way, but because if they didn't get it they would've lost. And it was somewhat of a forced pass...even without the PI it needed a good catch to make it.

Wahoo likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Bingo. He's just not seeing the field well. He's not moving safeties. If he moves away from a receiver he comes right back to the one he wanted to throw to, and he has no interest in the backside when he does get time.

Yes again. Underneath routes were open all game all. And he wanted nothing to do with em.

dmw, SOJAZ, jco2007 and 2 others like this.
  6. JackBower

He specifically wrote in the post the refs bailed Sam out on that play. Hard to take that any other way other than he thought it wasn't PI.

I would agree with your post... Sam had a bad game, no doubt.

dmw likes this.
  7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Well said. And in general, he's been reluctant to run all year when there's yardage in front of him. He's the Anti-Fitz. I hope he's just protecting the spleen, and will be more aggressive next season, because he's so much better when he uses his legs.

8. ColoradoContrails

I know what he said, and he would need to explain it further, but the way I read it, what he was saying was that BECAUSE the studio ref overturned the call on the field, Sam got another chance. The field refs should've called it right away, but it was close, and not a sure thing. They got lucky that it was overturned, it was not Sam's skill.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

22 year old in his 2nd year with a piss poor offensive line and below average talent at WR.

He's making dumb mistakes, many of which are him trying to make something out of nothing instead of taking the loss.

Douglas needs to build him a very good offensive line and get a #1 WR. Should help him tremendously.

I like Sam a lot and he has shown great promise but he needs help, that's for sure

NYJFOREVER, FJF and tomdeb like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

As I said, he gets SOME slack for being 22 and a 2nd year QB, but if he wants to a FQB he has a lot of work to do. I think he can be a FQB, but the way he looked today was not good.

dmw and Acad23 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not Sam's finest hour for sure. In spite of the handicaps, Sam still didn't play his best game. Missed open guys a lot. Not sure if it was Sam or Gase but the Jets were lucky today, not good.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Dem be the breaks. Sometimes you win in spite of how you play. He was def off...also seemed to not play good without Demaryius, but he made enough plays to win. These games happen with any QB.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yeah not too great from Sam

One of the only reasons I watch now is to see him Do well and Develop

today he had time but locked on and misfired quite a few times. Maybe the extra time messed with his head- lol kidding

Kinda bummed but hopeful still that he can develop

14. JackBower

Have the Jets ever won with Sam not playing really well? Thats a positive i guess

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There are some things that are out of Sam's control and some things that are in it. Last week, he actually played pretty well, but the line and receivers gave him no chance. But this week, he was not good. Put a league average starter having a typical day in there, and we score more points and win more easily.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Usually I avoid this place after losses because it’s always a cesspool, I didn’t think I would have to avoid it after a win. No Sam didn’t have a great day but Jesus the overreaction here is embarrassing. He’s a 22-year-old kid playing behind a bad offensive line missing a top target in Griffin for basically the entire game and one of his best blockers/starting RB in Bell, and both guys just happen to be his security blanket.

I’m so far from worried.

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I think that's the thing. The inconsistency is bad. Is that because of a constantly shuffling lineup? I don't think it helps. But he missed some wide open receivers today when he threw it to them and then stared down overly covered receivers.

He needs to learn to take what's given to him a lot better. I think that stays with him throughout his play; up and down. First down throws need to be 3-4-5 yard gains sometimes. If it's open. Throw it. And don't think about it ever again. Take the yards.

I'd say it's coaching but he did the same thing last year too.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Even though not called on the field, it clearly WAS pass interference. The Dolphin DB whipped his arm around the receiver's neck before the ball got there. And as you stated, the call on Burgess involved a lot less contact and denied the jets a TD.

20. ColoradoContrails

He didn't have good coaching last year either.

HomeoftheJets likes this.