2019 NFL Week 14: New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

We'll still be in a position to grab the best DT available.

2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Don't forget the weak roughing the passer call against us

3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

That was ugly.

4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

What's crazy about this league is if we hit a field goal opening week and win either the first Miami game or beat the Bengals we are in the playoffs hunt....if our coach was MM that probably would have happened . :)

mrjet80 and barfolomew like this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Why? Would MM have instructed Douglas to hire a different kicker for game 1?

6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

my point really is the margin of victory is so small in this league a better coach may have squeezed a few more victories out of this season...no one could have watched this season and tell me Gase has coached well.

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I won't go as far as to say we're a better offense without Bell but I'll say this ...
    We'd be just as good without him if we utilized BP and Ty all season and we could have spent the money elsewhere. Never wanted him here. Not because he isn't good, but because we're sooooo bad in other areas.

MJK likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If we had a good HC that could figure out how to use Bell properly, it would've made a big difference.

Noam, CBG and dman928 like this.
  9. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

How come he only seems to know how to call one run play? Straight up the middle. Did anyone else notice that when we ran to the outside, we were picking up 8 yards at a clip?

MJK and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I cant stand this coach ... but coming into the season with Powell, Montgomery and Maguire would have been fine.
    Instead, we have BP and Ty hardly touching the ball while we pay Bell a fortune, and are sub par in 4 or 5 other spots. I would have built the team with RB being my LAST priority.

MJK likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

As would most GM's.

Jonathan_Vilma and MJK like this.
  12. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Falling in love with star WRs and RBs is a mistake a lot of fans and media make...it usually makes little difference unless it's the final piece to the puzzle and even then they are usually drafted not given 20 mil a year.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But first, Powell coming back and being able to play well was not at all guaranteed. Second, if Bell had been used properly, he would've taken a lot of weight off Sam's shoulders. Third, having Bell and Montgomery playing on the field at the same time COULD have made this offense much better, but for some reason the "genius" didn't want to use that look. Fourth, we all thought the OL would be BETTER, not worse, so it did't seem as big a problem as it turned out to be.

It was a gamble, trying to make up for years of neglect on the offense in one big signing. The prudent course was thee one you suggest, but desperate teams do desperate things.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

If the offensive line was better then yes that's fine. Otherwise you run risk taking out a TE for a RB like Montgomery.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I don't remember a kicker who started off as badly as Ficken ending the same game as well as he did lol

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the game... that was stressful. I feel like Griffin getting hurt early was a near-catastrophe for the Jets. That call against Nathan Shepard was an absolute atrocity I thought.

Darnold did decent overall and really throws a beautiful ball but he also had more than a few shaky/sloppy plays. Just a few little better reads/decisions on his part and this game might not have even been that close honestly.

I'm with WarriorRB Phew!

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I also have to admit that somehow in spite of the stress I did notice that somebody did a nice job pant-shopping for the flight crew.

Just a fabulous job.

zace likes this.
  18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

After watching Powell and Montgomery hit the hole as quickly as they did today I am now thinking Bell being traded in the offseason is becoming more likely. I’m not sure exactly what the problem is with Bell but whatever it is something isn’t right. I don’t think he’s out of gas - he just seems hesitant as if he doesn’t trust his blockers. He’s just not a fit for this offense.

I can see a team thinking they’re only a piece or two away from a championship forking over a couple of picks. Not a first rounder but maybe a second and a fourth - something along those lines. It would create another hole but if the offense is going to be remolded around Darnold anyway - the draft is deep in RBs also.

Just a thought ...

#118 mrjet80, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We can only hope so. I think Bell is done. 21 months away from the game can really affect how fast the game moves for you. No amount of training or working out on your own can emulate an NFL game or off-season workouts and regiments dictated by the franchises. He's gotten the ball in space and he's been slow. He's gotten the ball from under center and shotgun and he's looked slow.

I'd be thrilled with a second and fourth for him. He's heading into his runningback purgatory years anyway and it was a bad signing. He was a great player behind a great run blocking offensive line with Pouncey and DeCastro clearing the way. His versatility is useless if he can't run the rock.

Today was our best rushing day of the season (and it still sucked but that's besides the point) and he stayed home while the two veteran minimum guys ran the rock. That says a lot.

truthbtold and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

A bad signing for the Jets in retrospect. Dumping him even for one pick would probably be for the best....