2019 NFL Week 14: New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 5, 2019.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It's the pants

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hell yeah... I'm a sucker for thigh-gap.

NY Jets68 and zace like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Darnasty and you are the only ones talking about tanking. I just said that I hope the Jets lose out. That doesn't mean it's an organizational decision/order to lose.

Winning cultures don't get established by teams with awful rosters like ours, or with very questionable HCs. We need to get the talent first, and then we can establish a winning culture. Like Darnasty, you're putting the cart before the horse.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just think it's bizarre to want to sit there and watch your team lose games. That means the players that we do have and will keep for next year are not playing well.

joe and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Your reasoning is a fail. Yes, we've had high picks for the last 10 years, but we've had almost totally incompetent GMs making the picks, so that advantage was wasted. Now that we supposedly have a competent GM, we need at least one draft drafting in the top 5 so that we can get the talent we need at the key positions we need it.

Joe D may draft well regardless of where he's picking, but that doesn't mean he will be able to get the #1 WR, top LT, stud edge rusher or #1 CB drafting in the middle of the 1st round like we're a good team.

You're flat out wrong. You obviously have paid no attention to the draft over the years and where top LTs, top #1 WR prospects, and top edge rushers are drafted.

6. NCJetsfan

I'm watching Bills/Ravens. Sam needs to take those two games off. Baltimore's pass rush is awesome. They're pounding Allen, and Shaq Lawson is providing a lot of pressure for the Bills on Jackson.

If the Ravens' Matthew Judon makes it to FA, we need to sign him regardless of how much he wants. He already has 2 or 2 1/2 sacks, and has the 3rd most QB hits in the NFL.

7. NCJetsfan

Not necessarily. Our players that are keepers can play well, but we can be undone by our lack of talent, or the other team's players can play better. Also, in keeping with how Gase has led the team, he can fail to have them ready to play, be inflexible and refuse to make any adjustments when things aren't working.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

That's just not true and it's a clear exaggeration. Yeah I mean there are top players at those positions drafted in the top 5, but you can also find those players other places.

It's not like every one in the league is a top 5 pick. If we can't find a good player picking 10th, 11th, 12th then we're going to have trouble anyway.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

@zace You sir, are both a gentleman and a scholar

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

zace likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

LT David Bakthiari - 4th round, All-Pro
    LT Terron Armstead - 3rd round, Pro-Bowler
    LT Jason Peters - UDFA, All-Pro
    LT Andrew Whitworth - 2nd round, All-Pro
    LT Alejandro Villanueva- UDFA, Pro Bowler

Four of the top 20 NFL receiving yards leaders were first round picks.

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

12. NCJetsfan

It is true, and is not an exaggeration. The top-rated players almost always go early. Occasionally, one will drop because of injury concerns, character concerns, or because the media overrated them (more highly than NFL teams did). When's the last time a Chase Young-type prospect fell to the bottom half of the 1st round? The top rated players, and the best prospects at the key positions go early. Yes, sometimes players who weren't rated that highly turn out to be top players, but it isn't that often and teams are lucky when it happens. Tom Brady is the all-time poster boy for that.

You're the one that keeps using hyperbole and exaggeration. I never said anything about tanking, nor did I clam that everyone in the league is a top 5 pick. Picking early, one has more choices of top players and top players at positions of need, and often has more opportunities to trade down.

Yes, one can find good players picking 10th, 11th, and 12th, but again you miss the point. Often the players one can find at those spots are not the top Edge Rushers, WRs or LTs. They're safeties, RBs, OGs, Centers, and ILBs. In other words, they're positions that you don't want to draft that high. If they're a player at a premium position, they probably are the 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice at that position.

13. NCJetsfan

Yes, one can find good players at key positions lower in the draft, but they are the exception, rather than the rule, and are usually luck. You might want to depend upon exceptions and luck to build the team, I don't.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

16/20 is exceptions?

There's only a couple of left tackles that are top ten picks let alone top 5. Tyron Smith, Russell Okung (sucks), Eric Fisher, Ronnie Stanley (6th overall). The rest are pretty much drafted 15th and beyond.

15. NCJetsfan

Yes, but the rest aren't in Stanley's or Smiths' class in terms of level of play. Players of their caliber aren't available lower generally, unless they're a complete surprise to everyone. In getting a new LT to protect your QB's blind side, wouldn't you rather have the chance to draft the top-rated player in the class, or have your pick of any of the LTs, rather than having to settle for what's left?

I understand what you're saying, and you have a point, but since we're rebuilding another win or two is meaningless, and isn't going to establish a winning culture. If Douglas is any good at all as a GM, we won't be picking in the top 10 again any time soon. I'd rather he get one shot at drafting that high, and be able to really stack our roster with talent, and then not draft that high again.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Three out of four of the All Pro left tackles for 2018 were drafted 26th or later. The All-Pro right tackles were taken 32nd and 37th overall.

2/4 of the All Pro receivers were not first rounders. Julio Jones is the only one taken in the top 25.

BacktoQueens and Ralebird like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You want them to win, they lose. You want them to lose, they win. This team always manages to fuck you.

TwoHeadedMonster and MJK like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Those Cheerleaders today were certainly worth the price of admission.

joe and NYJFOREVER like this.
  19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

LOL Flores livid! Obviously expecting smooth sailing officiating wise. He must feel like a wrestler when they flip the script

fggrimes likes this.
  20. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Refs screwed us out of the 3rd or 4th pick. :)

donkey likes this.
  21. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Whoooooooo!!!

Always feels great to win. If only they had won last week.

Good thing the PI was called at the end and it was PI make no mistake about it. 'Cause if that game had ended how it looked like it was gonna end on 4th and 17 after that big gainer on first down by the Jets it woulda been another SOJ loss in a season full of 'em.

I'll take it.

I'll enjoy it.

PHEW!!!!

22. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

A weak pi against us and then a weak pi against them. Both marginal calls, but at least consistent.