NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Two false starts and two tackles for losses on Humphrey today in the first half so far.

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I
    First before I go into the picks, I don't think we will be picking there. I've said a few times I expect between pick 4 and 8. If we pick closer to 4 I'm really hoping for a trade back. Not that I don't love Lamb and Juedy, but 2 1st or 1st plus and extra 2nd and maybe 3rd is worth the exchange in this draft. Its deep at wr and o-line, both of which we need.

Ok lets start with Wills, he's a right tackle. He's decent as a right tackle but when you draft a tackle that high he should be a left tackle. He's also not the top rated right tackle prospect. I just don't like that pick at all.
    Aiyuk in the second is horrible. There are about 10 better WR picked after him, not to mention the OTs and Edge and all that. This happens we will suck for a long time. Just not a good idea. He runs ok route but doesn't have the burst of Lamb or the size/reach of Higgins.

In the 5th and 6th if we haven't address RB and Dillon is still there, we are dumb as hell for passing on him. Just not an option.I also like Johnathan Cooper from Ohio State. Passing on him I think is a huge mistake.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. J-Raw24

Yeah it definitely is not one of his better games so far. Penalties can be coached out. But he has to get those blocks. Still that may drop his stock a little which means him sliding back to within reach.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Wills is playing RT for Bama to protect Tuas blindside. Many including me believe he can play LT in the NFL. I’d prefer to move down and select him but I do think he’s gonna be a big time riser come draft time.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hope that we are picking in the 4-6 area. To do that, we're going to have to lose out, or lose all our remaining games except one.

As far as trading down, we need to, and I've wanted to, but most the best teams also have stud playmakers (NE is the exception). One mostly only gets a chance to draft them at the top of the draft. This is a change for me from a month or so ago, but if we get a chance to draft Jeudy or Lamb, we have to take him. As much as I want a stud LT to protect Sam, I'm not sure at this point if Thomas is better than Jeudy or Lamb. I think I may even favor re-signing Beacham or signing Castonzo in FA and drafting Jeudy or Lamb rather than drafting Thomas and missing out on a stud WR or trading down and adding more good players overall, but missing out on a great player. As long as Douglas signed a FA OL or three and drafted a C and OG, then we'd be on our way to a dynamic offense and insuring that Sam develops into a true FQB.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Would Jackson be a reach at 9? Everything I've read about him says that he can be a LT in the NFL.

7. J-Raw24

You can get stud players later. Tee Higgins is going to be a beast, Travis Etiene will be amazing. Thats just a few. Trading down is the choice we have some studs in Adams and Sam maybe even Q.

8. J-Raw24

Jackson may fall into the second. Thats a big reach. Some question if he can be a LT and say starting him a guard and seeing if he can transition could work.

9. J-Raw24

RT is your run blocking tackle not blind side. And he's not that good in pass pro. Not saying he couldn't develop but I wouldn't pick him in the first round much less top 10.

10. NCJetsfan

One can, but the odds are against it. One has to be very lucky, and the Jets are almost never lucky. They used up a decade's worth of luck when Sam fell to them instead of Rosen or Allen. I love both Higgins and Etienne, but there are not guarantees that the Jets would get a shot at them drafting lower.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Typically yes with a right handed QB, opposite with a left handed QB. I think he will test very well and be a draft riser, we’ll see.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

The CBS link you posted has this about him:
    Jackson has the prototypical size for an NFL left tackle but he moves like someone 100 pounds lighter. He had a standout campaign for the Trojans and could be one of the top offensive linemen drafted next spring. In Miami, he'll be part of the rebuilding process.

Walterfootball:
    Evaluators say Jackson is a great athlete with quick feet and excellent agility. He is an easy mover with the ability to bend at the knee and play with good leverage. There are times where Jackson gets away with some mistakes because he is so athletic, and he will need to work on technique for the NFL. He is raw from a fundamentals standpoint, but his skill set is that of a franchise left tackle.

https://www.cover1.net/austin-jackson-left-tackle-on-the-rise-usc/
    Austin Jackson | Left Tackle on the Rise

13. J-Raw24

True but the more shots we get with trading down the higher that percentage goes up... we suck at draftin high to remember Leonard Williams.

14. J-Raw24

Good info to have.

15. J-Raw24

The link I posted was a mock draft that had us take Alabama RT of Alabama, Wills. I've seens a lot of Jackson, I like him. But he could rise or fall.. to me he's a late first early second. Not a top 10.

16. CotcheryFan

I agree, he could rise or fall. Seems like he's slowly rising now and I'm not saying that just because I like him. I can see him being our Brick of the 2020's if we land him.

17. J-Raw24

I like both him and Walker Little. Also like Becton from Louisville who is currently projected in the 3rd.

18. NCJetsfan

That was Mike McCagnan, not Douglas. It's silly to say that "we suck at drafting." The past has nothing to do with the future when there is a different GM making the picks. It's even more the case when McCagnan didn't even listen to Bowles, and Douglas and Gase will be working together and are supposedly on the same page.

19. J-Raw24

I agreed as I've said many times I have hope for Douglas. But even then if he is the real deal more pick = more contributors.

20. NCJetsfan

Yes, more picks equals more contributors, but then one has to weigh will more contributors make one a better team than getting a stud WR, LT, etc. It may take a little longer to rebuild if one doesn't trade down, but one can wind up with a much better team if one gets a stud or two and then adds "contributors" in subsequent drafts. There is no one way that always works, and probably no "Right" or "Wrong," but I prefer getting a stud or two now and adding contributors later, I think, but my mind may change as we get closer to the draft.