New York Jets: Boomer Esiason accuses Jerry Jones of tampering

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nycarl, Dec 6, 2019.

1. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

#1 nycarl, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the link. I have always detested Jerry Jones. Now I detest him even more. Douglas really ought to push for tampering charges against Jones and see if he can get a draft pick or two from them.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I ranted about the talks leaking.

Now I know who done it.

Sorry for suspecting our front office....they do have an established track record of stupidity...:confused:

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We said this at the trade deadline. The cowboys official twitter feed announced they tried to trade for Adams. That’s tampering. Point blank

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I always thought tampering was having direct contact with a player under contract with another team. If Jerry has trade discussions with the GM and then leaked it, that’s not tampering. I may be wrong

nycarl likes this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's not only direct contact. Here is the relevant paragraph of the NFL anti-tampering rules (https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/7-2018 Anti-Tampering Policy-Clean Version.pdf):

Public/Private Statements. Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”) In addition, speculation by a club owner, executive, or employee on whether a player under contract to a second club may play for a third club in the future may negatively impact the relationship between the player and the club currently holding his rights. If any such comments are found to have adversely affected that relationship, a finding of tampering can result. All clubs should be aware that improper disclosure of confidential trade discussions with another club may be a violation of this section on prohibited public statements.

The first sentence seems pretty clear that any public statement of interest in another club's player to a member of the news media is a violation of anti-tampering rules. For reasons that are unclear to me the last line hedges a bit, however, saying that a public disclosure of confidential trade discussions may be a violation of the policy on prohibited statements. In any event, the Jets should clearly file a tampering complaint with the league, since this is at least potentially tampering.

HomeoftheJets, Leicester Jet and FJF like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes JJ has diareah of the mouth and someone should Police that ...Goodell just seems to be enjoying the Millions he's paid to announce Draft picks for each team come April lol

As far Owners go, would I like him over the Johnsons?? He may be a bit of a character but much more football and Draft savvy then the nincompoops that run the NYJ...he's built Dallas into contenders every year but , like our guys, keeps Ba d Coaches around too long

OTOH watch how long the Maras/Tisch s put up with Schurmer

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Stephen Jones and Jerry Jones Jr are the ones who should get credit for building that team.

Jerry Jones wanted to draft Manziel and was talked out of it by his son and nephew.

He is probably a better business man than Woody and Chris but football wise he is not someone I would want handling the draft.

FJF, NYJetsO12 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Boomer, who lives in Islip and played for the Jets and hates them...

12. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

Didn’t Woody get popped for something like this a few years ago? I can’t remember the player. Maybe Revis when he was with New England.

Red Menace and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Yes, during a press conference in late 2014, Woody said he'd "love to have Revis back." (Be careful of what you wish for). Revis was under contract to the Patriots at the time, and the league fined Woody $100,000 for tampering. That's tip money for a rich guy like Woody.

14. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I hope Douglas pushes this. I would love some extra draft capital. Could definitely help him pick more players. And its obvious tampering. It was like 2 weeks of Jamal not talking to the brass because he was pissed. Could be a good thing for us if Jamal stays and continues to progress and we get a pick or so.

15. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

This is arrogant of JJ to 'drop chum in the water', but negligent for the twitter feed to post. At the end of the day JD doesn't raise a stink, he's a freshman GM and doesn't want to be considered a crybaby. I'm sure GM's talk all the time and just don't air it

16. J-Raw24

I think Douglas wouldn't have said much until Boomer thrust it into the public eye. Now if it gains more momentum Douglas may push it.

papapump likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Looks like Adams got lucky the deal did not go through.......... :D

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

If a team(Dallas) if found to be tampering and loses a pick, the other team (Jets) get said draft pick?

19. J-Raw24

It varies. Could just fine Jerry Jones a bunch of money. Could cost them a pick in which case we get the pick. Depends on the situation and how Roger Goodell and the others want to treat it.

20. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I guess that's where I'm confused. If Dallas loses a pick, the Jets wouldn't get it.....or do they?