Quick Look at 2020:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wish we signed Trent Brown to be honest. He's playing really well and is like the lone Patriot to leave the organization and find success.

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

At 17 million. No thanks. Drafting is key and always has been. Why do you think the patriots let him go? He's good but right tackles aren't the end all be all. He's the highest paid tackle in the league on the right side.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we took Orlando Brown and Pat Eflein in the 2018 and 2017 drafts, espectively, our OL would have a few building blocks.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I already think we're gonna suck next year because of Gase. Now, that doesnt mean Douglas wont be able to improve the team on paper but there will definitely be a lot of losses like last week that will be all these wtf moments.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Orlando Brown should be a Jet, but of course teams got turned off because he couldn't bench press a shit ton. Which I find funny because Ravens one of the more physical teams in the NFL had no issues drafting him.

6. Thats the other thing too.Its more likely an impact OL hits FA than a dynamic skill talent.Bell was a rare exception. If you’re gonna build a sustainable skill group ala Green Bay,,Pittsburgh,San Diego & KC its likely getting done via the draft. To be fair those teams have great eyes & quite often utilize day 2 & day 3 to find steals that fit right in.But they also arent afraid to pull the trigger on a skill guy in round 1

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The brinks trust MUST be backed up for Yannick if/when he hits the market, he's a stud and will give the Jets an edge they've lacked for a decade plus. Another player I'd back it up for is Amari Cooper if he manages to shake free from Dallas. If we landed one of those two I would spend almost every draft pick we had on offensive line, assuming we couldn't get Jeudy or Lamb.

It's time for this team to build a wall, I think Douglas realizes this as well.

#147 NYJFOREVER, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd back the Brinks truck up for Ngakoue, but not Cooper, not when there are Jeudy, Lamb, and Higgins there in the 1st round. They aren't proven like Cooper is, but remember Cooper has had some lean years. Tying up a ton of cap space in a WR usually doesn't work out very well unless he's home grown.

CotcheryFan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

I won't argue with you here, I just think that if the Jets could end up in a situation with Andrew Thomas and Amari Cooper I'd be satisfied. I'm very high on CeeDee Lamb, kids going to be a stud.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Have you already forgotten the Revis mess? Or the caving in to sign Fitz? Or the signing of Tebow? And the signing of Bell has the Johnson's fingerprints all over it (even though I happened to like it at the time not knowing we had a HC who has no use for RBs). And then there was the premature extensions handed out to Macc and Bowles based on who the hell knows what, because it sure wasn't for competence.

I'm not saying they interfere on the scale of Jerry Jones, but they have a habit of injecting themselves into things and screwing them up.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A big reason why they find "steals" on days 2&3 is that they know they kind of players they're looking for, they're not just drafting talent they're drafting talent that fits their blueprint. The Jets STILL don't have a blueprint, ever sine Weeb Ewbank, or at least one that can produce consistent winners. Parcells had something of a blueprint but it was heavily weighted towards building a stout defense and make-do on offense, which is what Rex sort of did later, but the NFL was already turning towards favoring offense over defense even then.

IMO, the Jets should have a blueprint that is geared towards returning them to the high-flying team they were in the beginning. The NFL is somewhat like the old AFL was with the aerial circuses and high scoring games. That's what excites the fans. The "3 yards and a cloud of dust and 'impregnable defense" is long dead. It's time to return to the Jets roots.

12. In the 70s & esp the late 60s/80s the jets had an identity & a prototype. Granted their were alot of lousy seeasons in there but the team knew what they were looking for & were able to fill every position group w core guys.It was cohesive & coherant.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I full heartedly agree with re- establishing the Jets identity with a no shit blueprint for success. It’s been long enough. Hard to do, however, when usually the GM and HC are at best uncoupled and at worst at opposite end of the spectrum, and incompetent to boot. That has been clearly our issue in the past. That is why the GM hires the HC in my opinion.​
    We will have to see how the JD/Gase relationship evolves. But whatever identity we want for the Jets, balanced, bombs away, running to set up the pass, passing to set up the run, no matter what we choose......we need a superior OL first and foremost.
    OL is in my mind paramount to success and all being equal first priority over every other offensive position. Without it, we will be wasting the Stud WRs the same way we wasted our stud RB. Not to mention putting our QB in harms way.

14. NYJFOREVER

Perfect example of this is the current Jets defense. Mosley is a 3-4 ILB while Williamson is a 4-3 LB that transitioned into a 3-4 well. Both Leo Williams and Quinnen Williams are better suited for 4-3 defense that lets them penetrate, but we have them shoehorned into a 3-4 role where they eat blocks that Fatukasi and Shepard do well.

It's a giant mess, which is why teams shouldn't just draft BPA. Teams should be drafting best available need while taking into account value of the position. A WR or CB should be valued more than an interior defensive lineman.

CotcheryFan, LAJet, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Tebow deal looked like a marketing decision to sell PSLs. MacCagnan and Bowles were decisions that are typically made by ownership, bad decisions but in the accepted realm of owners. I don't agree that Revis, Fitzpatrick or Bell were signed at the direction of the Johnsons but possibly with their approval. All in all, I don't find they have overstepped their bounds even if the things they may have been involved in have turned out so Jetlike.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

"A Jets source indicated the team may not offer cornerback Darrelle Revis a chance to take a paycut this offseason, even if he was willing to take one. Owner Woody Johnson pushed hard for the team to bring back Revis in 2015, but was warned by some people in the organization not to bring back Revis. Johnson has become upset by the way Revis has performed this season, feels betrayed by him and may not want Revis back at any cost."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...by-darrelle-revis-could-cut-him-in-offseason/

"Woody Johnson got his franchise in hot water after he "misspoke" publicly about Darrelle Revis late last December, noting a desire to bring the corner back to the New York Jets, which led to tampering charges being filed.

Gang Green's owner is still hot on the pursuit of the corner's services, should he become available. However, now he's keeping those thoughts internally.

The New York Daily News reported Tuesday that Johnson has been involved in "serious internal discussions" with new Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan to push for Revis if he becomes a free agent."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...johnson-urging-gm-to-bring-revis-back-to-jets

"New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, commenting for the first time on the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract stalemate, delivered a clear message Monday to his unsigned quarterback.

"Come back to the Jets," Johnson said at the NFL owners meetings, sounding almost like a college recruiter."

https://abc7chicago.com/sports/woody-johnson-wants-ryan-fitzpatrick-back-as-jets-qb/1255934/

:)

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I know college football is much different than the NFL. But this Georgia vs. LSU game is a good example of why you need good receivers as much as an offensive line. Dropped balls all over the place for Georgia with multiple NFL players on their offensive line.

We need both. CeeDee Lamb was amazing today. He might really be my vote.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

We just need a GM that drafts an OL or two every year--that is what the Pats do. Our former GM set this team back years with his policy against drafting decent OL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

WR's that drop the ball all the time are not average to above average WR's they are god awful and akin to our current OL in talent.

My argument was really a good OL would make our current WR's look better, they are all serviceable, I also said I wouldn't be against a true number 1 WR.

At the end of the day I am just sick of seeing Sam run for his damned life and not getting a chance to progress as our potential FQB and that last point may even trump all the others or we will be back to square one again looking to spunk draft picks in a trade up to grab the next FQB.

God, fucking Jets, man :(

20. Jonathan_Vilma

It might make them look better. Or they're going to struggle getting separation against good man coverage secondaries anyway and teams can just blitz on third down.

I understand the point. This offense and this quarterback needs a playmaker badly to take some of the pressure off of him. He pressed SO much sometimes which is why he becomes streaky and tries to run around and make home run plays when he shouldn't.

We do not have a player on this roster that can make his man miss in the open field after the catch on any sort of route.

And we also need a big body 3rd and 7 "X" receiver.

I'd throw a ton of money at the offensive line and go WR-C-OT/OG-WR. It's that type of draft. And fuck the defense. We can try to cover up the weaknesses over there with scheme and leads.

We've tried the build the defense bullshit since 2007. Let's try to build a power house offense.