NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I still think we will be drafting in the 5-7 range. But that said the only OL prospect I take that high is Thomas. I really like some of these receivers, and a few of the edge rushers. But I don't think they play should be to take one of then, instead trade back and acquire more picks. More o line. We can get solid wr, cb, edge prospects later. Who knows if we draft high enough maybe Oakland, Jacksonville, or Miami will give us 2 first rounders.

2. I think if we play our cards right we can get a haul for Bell to provide some further volume of picks on late day 1/day 2

While i agree that we’ll be in no man’s land OL wise in the 5-10 range..i would NOT pass on one of these WRs.Yes OL is a higher priority but widening the scope a bit OFFENSE is truly the biggest need.A guy like Jeudy or Lamb would be amazing additions & take some pressure off the OL

Once we have a WR in place we can fixate on OL w said picks from Bell & if possible trade down further to accrue even more picks. As of right now the hot spot for OL is late day 1/day 2. 2 immediate starters w great upside along the OL would be very realistic..and w the WR already in place we’d be optimizing our assets & give the O a big time boost

3. J-Raw24

I see your point but if the option is there to trade back an acquire 2 first or a 1, 2, and 3 i don't think we pass it up depending on how late the 1sts are. For instance if wiffs is available and Douglas isn't convinced how good he is or they are both gone but Oakland wants to move up for a pass rush.. I think Tee Higgins is going to be very solid in the middle of the 1st. And could be a hell of a target for Sam while acquiring other picks. With 2 first we could almost insure we got wr, lt, and center all taken care of.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Yeah if we could somehow trade down get Higgins & still get 2 OL thatd be a grand slam.

CotcheryFan, NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. J-Raw24

For sure. And thats the range all the teams that may want to move up are picking. Right where Higgin is projected. But its the draft. I believe you were the one that stated its as important as the season. GMs are playing a game of their own. Let's just hope Douglas is playing with a great hand.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

We have disagreed vehemently about tanking in the past-- I won't argue this year. This year I'm all about it.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He's arguably the best in this WR class at catching contested throws. He can get separation. He has good enough speed to succeed in the NFL. Draft this beast.

#227 CotcheryFan, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. J-Raw24

Totally agree. I think he's an animal. Been watching him make cbs look like 6 year olds all year. If we resign robbie for a deep threat. With this guy, Crowder, and Griffin/Herndon, Sam would be lighting up defenses. But the kicker is being able to get him in a trade back and acquire OL as well.

9. I think him & Ceedee are neck n neck.I go back & fourth. Ceedee is like Jarvis Landry but w actual vertical explosion..and Higgins is a beast in his own right.

Im curious how much press Huggins has seen however..they play mostly off coverage & soft zones in the ACC. Thats a big deal

10. J-Raw24

Yeah CeeDee is amazing. Just the burst he gets is out of this world.
    As for Higgins watch the Alabama game. He's still good vs press. He's really hard to push around and he can still get open.

CotcheryFan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

After watching a video of Dillon's 2018 highlights, I'm all for taking him in the middle rounds. Not sure he's my top RB, but I wouldn't complain if we got him.

12. J-Raw24

Etienne is my top rb. I jist like watching him play. But Dillon is definitely worth a mid round. I think he plays a bit angry sometimes. We need that. Someone who is going to push through the oline and make his own hole if there isn't one.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just can't see Dillon not being a productive NFL back on his rookie contract. He needs to learn to run with a little bit lower pad level and won't be able to get to the edge as easily as he did in college. But he's a violent runner and an absolute load to tackle. He's perfect for the 4 minute offense in the 4th quarter with a lead.

If I was a 200 pound corner I'd want nothing to do with trying to tackle him.

There's a bunch of backs that are better than him and will be more explosive.

I can't really think of a good NFL comparison. Derrick Henry is the closest in body size but I think Henry is just a whole other level of power + explosiveness. Maybe similar to LeGarrette Blount? But I think he can have a better career.

14. J-Raw24

Frank Gore is his prime. Thats what I see... Someone who is just going to truck everyone in the way. I really like his in the later rounds. As you said he's violent but need to learn to drop his pads. He is also good at pass blocking.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I wanted to say Gore too, but Gore was SO good because he played so low. But his running style does remind me of him.

A player that will not be dropped for losses often.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Justin Herbert will join his predecessors as the next loser of an Oregon Ducks quarterback in the NFL. I just don't see him being anything but a failure of a pro. I really hope the Phins screw it up with Tua's injury and take this dude.

17. J-Raw24

This would be amazing. I agree I don't like Herbert, especially in the first round. I would take him in the 5th as a developmental project. Bad foots work and very question field vision. Granted it could be taught, but not for a high pick.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. J-Raw24

19. Jonathan_Vilma

@KurtTheJetsFan thoughts on Jedrick Willis? Thats the situation I do not want to end up in. Where we reach badly because we need an offensive lineman. Similar to what the Texans have done.

I'm also not super impressed by Creed Humphrey today. He looks like he would benefit a TON from one more year of getting stronger.

On the other hand, I'm wanting CeeDee Lamb more and more. He's a problem for defenses. I'm starting to think he won't even be available for us. If they go to the CFP and Hurts throws him the ball he might jump Jeudy.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OMG that would be a nightmare way for the draft to fall!!! Not only do they miss out on Jeudy, Lamb and Thomas, but also Humphrey and Biadasz.

Hopefully, I don't have to worry as the creator of this draft is clueless. He obsesses over the Bengals and Raiders. He has the Jets with two 6th round picks and a 7th, when they don't have a 2nd 6th (it was traded away) or a 7th. And I don't think players like Dillon fall as far as he thinks they will. Where we will be drafting IS a major concern however. C'mon, Jets, lose out!

Wow! Is Wills that good to go at #9? We definitely need OL help and at least Douglas would be showing a commitment to fixing the OL. If the draft falls that way (and it probably will with the Jets' luck, they probably wouldn't be able to trade down, so I guess that's probably as good as could be expected with Jeudy, Lamb and Thomas all gone. I think I'd almost rather trade down and take Tee Higgins or Julian Okwara, but like the commitment to protecting Sam.

Aiyuk in the 2nd? CBS has him ranked as the #16 WR in the class behind Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Michael Pittman, Tyler Johnson and others. Why not Prince Tega Wanogho? He seems like a good LT prospect, just needs technique refinement, but seems to have the requisite athleticism and movement skills. Also, Jonathan Taylor, D'Andre Swift, Zack Moss, Jalen Reagor, J.K. Dobbins, Travis Etienne, Alton Robinson, Justin Jefferson and a whole slew of CBs are there in the 2nd. I don't think I'd be very happy with that pick at all.

At least they address edge rusher in taking Jonathan Greenard of Florida with the Giants' pick, but is he that good? CBS doesn't have him in their top 10 edge rushers, and with Trey Adams still sitting there, I would think Adams would have to be the pick. Then they take CB Kindle Vildor (never heard of him, he's small and his stats aren't impressive at all) with their own pick in the 3rd with Tyler Johnson (WR), Walker Little (OT), Trey Smith (OG), Michael Pittman (WR), Solomon Kindley (OG), Najee Harris (RB), and Denzel Mims (WR) all still there.

At least they got a really tall WR in Collin Johnson in the 4th.

In the 5th they finally take a RB in K'Shawn Vaughn of Vandebilt, but Anthony McFarland (dynamic game-breaker type and A.J. Dillon still there, that seems like a poor choice.

In the 6th they take a QB, Steven Montez of Colorado over Dillon. Montez seems like a decent developmental QB prospect, but over a power back like Dillon. As much as Gase likes to run between the tackles, it seems like Dillon would be the perfect choice for the Jets. Even if he didn't start, he would be a key contributor, especially over a QB that likely would never see the field for the Jets in the regular season, if he even made the team out of TC.

I'd give this draft a chance, but my first reaction would be negative about Douglas. He'd have to have had a great FA for me to not start thinking that he was yet another mistake at GM.

#240 NCJetsfan, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019