Quick Look at 2020:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 3, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Was Funchess playing that well? He dropped a ton of passes in college and dropped a ton for the Panthers. I wouldn't want that stiff on the Jets at least the way he has played in the past. If he's gotten better, good for him.

2. Im talking instant offense ELITE top 5 borderline top 10 WRs prospects.Julio Jones,Andre Johnson,Amari Cooper,AJ Greene

Guys that are a lock for explosive plays on a week to week basis..putting up POINTS every single week.

You cant tell me a pro bowl left guard not named Larry Allen is more valuable than that. And if you do you’re wrong. The name of the game is explosive plays.When a player projects to ensure you that consistently..thats extremely scarce & valuable.OTs have had a drop in supply i agree..but youre more likely to see at least one Top 5 OT on a yearly basis.;Not the case for WR

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Okay then.

But before you go explain how a top class WR will help the Jets with a paper tissue OL that is giving Sam 2 seconds to throw the ball.

I gave my reason for believing that a top class OL can give Sam the time to throw the ball to any average WR and cause damage.

But again the original post was just a joke with the play on words being the chicken and egg joke ;)

4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He's actually been playing much better with the Colts. I don't know the reason, but he has developed a connection with Brisset. I think the Colts have a better oline and Brisset plays better in the pocket than Cam did. Maybe also Brisset throws with less power and more finesse. Honestly not sure, but he's been a lot better.

5. K'OB

They have to have the ball thrown to them, if your QB is spitting dirt out of his mouth every other play having all of these guys in your team is not going to help you.

6. J-Raw24

Not sure I agree to that totally. Even if you can by Sam a little time with a mediocre o line a top flight receiver can be amazing. See julio in Atlanta, Detroit with megtron, and a few others. Again we need both at a high level to prolong it. But it can be done with either or as long as the others are mediocre

7. Oh really? So that sort of talent doesnt keep safeties out of the box,or occupy linebackers/bracket coverage/double teams that indirectly takes blitzing options away or perhaps opens up a quick passing game that doesnt ask the line to pass protect for more than 3 seconds?God forbid open running lanes?

Sorry.I must be totally clueless.

By all means..keep fixating on OL as the be all end all.I stand by what i say.

NYJFOREVER and J-Raw24 like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're not the only guy who's gone there but there is never any support for that contention. What do you see as evidence of meddling, tampering or interference by the Johnsons in allowing people to do their jobs? I see them announce hirings and announce firings and virtually nothing in between. If anything I see them as more "hands off" than the average NFL owner, which is probably a good thing due to their apparent lack of ability or knowledge.

9. NCJetsfan

I think signing two FA OTs would be a huge mistake. This is the best draft for OTs in years. Who knows how long it will be before there is another deep, strong draft for OTs? If the Jets start winning, their chance of then being able to draft a pair of quality OTs would be nil. That would doom the Jets to having to reach for subpar OTs or have to continue signing FA OTs for a couple of years. There would little or no continuity. IMO we have to draft at least one OT this year. Anything else would be unwise, if not foolish. Signing two expensive OTs is just trying to rush the rebuild and it would wind up biting us in the ass.

First, I think Douglas should re-sign our FAs that he plans to keep, then sign one FA OT and/or re-sign Beacham, sign an OG, and C if there is a decent C in FA. He should also sign a FA CB. If there is a decent #2 or #3 WR in FA and we have the cap space, sign him too. If we have cap space to sign a 2nd tier edge rusher, great or one falls to us in the draft, great. Othewise, I think that will have to wait until next offseason. I think and hope that our draft will be an OT, a C, a tall WR prospect, a CB, and either an OG or edge rusher.

I also disagree on Poole. He has been a very effective part of our D. He wasn't this effective with Atlanta. Why create another hole?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. K'OB

Why the need to get arsey?
    Can people not just have a discussion even if they disagree?

I also never said you were clueless but I don't agree, if teams know they can hammer our QB and make him see ghosts they will set up to make sure he is not getting over 2 seconds to throw the ball to the superstar, they are unlikely to stop the blitzing to accommodate a WR they can nullify by harrying the QB instead

With an average OL those examples you gave will probably be good to go but with a porous piece of turd like we currently possess, a top class WR will be a luxury.

God forbid, have you not seen how many running lanes our shitty OL have opened up for Bell this season.

Also earlier I did say I was not averse to taking a top class WR but no I will just concentrate on the OL, sorry fixate on it as you said.

11. NCJetsfan

What happened to QBs throwing receivers open? to timing routes where the QB throws to a spot? I remember in the WCO of SF Rice and Taylor would frequently have a defender on their hip, but they'd catch the ball and gain yards. If the Colts can't gain yards passing, then the problem is at least partially with their OC if the WRs they have left have NFL talent. If not, then that's another matter. The same goes for the Raiders.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't want to create another hole with Poole. But I also don't think paying a slot corner $9-11 million is a smart allocation of money. We'll see if he prices himself out of staying here. I think he might.

As far as tackles go, next year is supposed to be very deep. I see the tackle class as being elite for right tackles with only Andrew Thomas as a LT candidate. And I'd imagine he's gone before our selection. The guys from Louisville and Auburn are right tackles. Leatherwood is a guard and Wirfs might end up being a guard when all is said and done.

I'm also more open to spending money on offensive lineman in free agency than any other position. Their shelf life is longer as they can play well into their mid thirties. And they're more affordable than corners and edge rushers.

The wide receiver free agent crop is terrible. There's Amari Cooper who will remain in Dallas, AJ Green who will be 32 and hasn't played in a year, and Funchess who hasn't played in a year. Below that it's journey men and aging veterans and we'll sign one or two at the bottom of the class to see if they can work. I like Lequon Treadwell the most and always have but we'll see.

This is the best receiver class since 2014 and might end up being even better. This is the year to get a receiver in the draft.

13. NCJetsfan

Saying that one is more valuable than the other is a totally different matter than if one is scarcer than the other. I didn't say that a Larry Allen is more valuable than a Julio Jones or Amari Cooper. You easily named 4 great WRs. I can name some too. How many great OL can you name? Even if you can name more than WRs, it's still a silly point to argue. No one here is saying that we don't want an elite WR or that they aren't important. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Everyone is acknowledging that we need both. You also know that I've been decrying the lack of offensive playmakers for years. One of the things that I was frustrated with back in the first decade of the 2000s is that we had a ton of money invested in the OL and had no cap space left to get elite playmakers. I've also said that I didn't think that Mac's ideas about the OL were totally wrong. He just screwed it up by totally ignoring the OL and not making it a priority. I believe that good OL can be found in all rounds and even in UDFA. One doesn't have to have 5 first-round picks on the OL, and imo, shouldn't. I think the LT should probably be a 1st round pick, and maybe the RT or C; otherwise, the other OL should come from other rounds. That said, I think one can have a very good OL that has zero first rounders on it. It's as you said, about finding OL that fit your blocking scheme, and who can work together as a unit and complement each other.

IMO a great offense is all about balance. The OL has to be able to open holes for the rushing attack and give the QB time to go through his progressions. The receivers have to be able to get open, and one needs a mixture of excellent route runners, tall receivers who can win the 50/50 balls, receivers who can find open spots in a zone D, and speed receivers who can get behind the D. One should also have a RB who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field, not a plodder, but it also helps to have a power back who can pick up those tough yards on 3rd or 4th down and in the Red Zone.

#133 NCJetsfan, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

This can happen. But again Rice was a top tier receiver. Quite possibly the GoAT. So again this shows needing having that type of guy. The OC has some to do with it. Next man up and all that. But still a top wr talent changes the game. Mediocre oline + great wr can work. Megatron was real.

15. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure a mediocre OL will work, but an average or slightly above average OL will. Yes, Megatron was the real deal, but Brady has done just fine without one except for the year or two he had Randy Moss.

16. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification. We basically agree. There's nothing in this post with which I disagree. I wouldn't want to pay Poole that kind of coin, either, and hopefully he won't want that much!

I definitely agree regarding the FA WR group. I doubt that we'll find any help there. I'm a firm believer in drafting to the strength of a draft. This is a strong draft for OL, WRs and CBs. Outside of edge rusher, I wouldn't use any of our draft picks on any other position than those 3.

17. NCJetsfan

Again, it's not an either/or situation.

J-Raw24 and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The argument about receivers vs. offensive line is becoming kind of silly because there is truth to both sides. We need to improve both positions. We'd ideally like to find an impact player at both position as well. The offensive line is as pressing as the receiver position is in my mind. There's just a lot more holes to fill at offensive line then receiver and a lot more quality free agent offensive lineman than receivers.

Which is why Kurt's point about nabbing one early, especially given what the off-season and draft class looks like, makes a lot of sense.

19. You & i are 100% on the same page.

What youre alluding to in the 2000s is what has lead me to this aggressive mindset. Weve had great OLs..but weve never had anywhere near enough dynamic playmakers.I think sometimes folks lose sight of that.

Im actually fairly confident based on history that the jets will fix the OL..history says otherwise at WR/receiving skill. Id like to see an explosive offense that isnt vertically challenged for the first time in a long time.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. J-Raw24

This is exactly what I'm saying you have to build both to sustain relevancy. Sign free agent OT is not the way as Trent Brown got 17 million/yr and is playing right tackle. Signing WR is no good because the good ones won't be available. Stop gaps are ok. But building through the draft is the only option for sustaining. It can't be done in one year. But we can improve a lot.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.