Quick Look at 2020:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I disagree about equal value, but the idea that one can be useless without the other is really strange.

A good OL gives its quarterback time to go through his progressions. This means the good OL is not useless, regardless of whether or not the QB has a super star WR to throw too.

FJF likes this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

It does but if none of his WR can get open because they aren't good enough to shake coverage, the QB just stands in the pocket and gets no where. No one to throw to. Defense can then just rush him and we get what the Colts and Oakland are dealing with.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Needing a good OL and a stud WR aren't mutually exclusive.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The possibilities become endless if we can trade down and get more first round or multiple seconds. We haven't had a general manager successfully trade down in my lifetime. Teams do it all the time but for some reason we can never figure it the fuck out and it's frustrating.

I'm hoping we pick in the 5-10 range and Tua falls and the Raiders, Saints, Jaguars or Panthers desperately want him. The Raiders and Jaguars offer us the best option to get 2x first round picks this year obviously.

I don't like Shaq Barrett. He's a one year wonder and while he's been great I wouldn't be willing to offer up top money to someone like that. Clowney just seems like a lazy once paid player. He was complacent in college, and he's starting to have the injury problems a lot expected him to have.

If we're getting an edge rusher I wouldn't be against backing up the brinks truck for Yannick Ngakoue. He's the real deal. I'll never advocate for an expensive corner again.

5. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I think we will go winless next year as long as Gase is the head coach.

AJT73 likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

I'd like to get our stud edge rusher in the draft and I can see a guy like Robinson falling to us in round 3.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Dealing with being in the playoff hunt? I’d take that right about now.

We all want a great offense with Super Star level talent but missing one piece does not make the rest of the unit useless.

FJF likes this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Which I mentioned in another comment.

Strangest conversation I think I’ve ever had on this board short of my dead hamster thread.

9. J-Raw24

I'm hoping Douglas can be our guy. He talks the talk, hopefully he walks the walk. He came from a team that is known for trading down and making it work.

I see us picking in the 4-8 range depending on this game. If Miami wins them and several other team leap us. Could push us farther inside the first depending on other teams wins.

I will agree with you on Barrett, the sample size is to small. Yeah he's great now but the years before were questionable. I don't think Clowney is lazy. I think he was covered up with the JJ Watt thing. But what I see is do we take the chance? Not sure we are at the point for big chances. This isn't New England. Same can be said for OL though. They are all chances.

As for a highly paid CB, I partially agree. We keep getting burnt doing this. Starting to get old. But with Peters its a little different. He's already on his 3rd team. He's 26. And he's been productive for all 3 teams. Not quite as much of a gamble.

10. J-Raw24

They are in the playoff hunt. But they are also on the verge of a losing season. 2 losses all it takes. But you're right. Problem is if you lose to a team like the 2019 Jets you have 0 chance of making it to the superbowl.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I haven't watched a ton of him, but I know he was highly regarded coming into this year and fell flat of expectations. In the same breath, I also know he isn't working with a lot around him and has been playing on a team that has rarely played with a lead for pass rushing opportunities.

He is a three year starter though.

12. CotcheryFan

Doesn't have to be him, but I've always felt that you should draft a pass rusher who hopefully develops into a stud. As we saw this past offseason, stud pass rushers almost never hit the open market. I actually like Weaver more, but doubt we'll get him. Of course, we wouldn't be having this discussion if we had Allen, but........

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A good OL will give the QB the time to find his WR without this a top class WR will not get the ball if the QB is flat on his arse under 300lb of sack machines.
    So really you are flat out wrong, not that I am averse to having a quality number 1 WR either but you need one before the other.

Oh and the original post with the reveal was meant to be humourous rather than flat out serious, hence the smiley face.

14. Im not flat out wrong.But i do respect you & will agree to disagree.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree with your contention that a good OL without a stud WR is "useless". But certainly a stud WR helps to make an OL better.

Jets81 likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Definitely. I think we all understand the impact that each position can have on the others. If I were running the team, I would just prioritize improving the OL.

I certainly wouldn’t pass up a stud WR if the opportunity presented itself though.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that "great WRs are harder to find than great OL" is true any longer. At one time it was true, but great OL have become pretty scarce in the NFL and there are still a bunch of very good, if not great WRs.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I totally disagree with the bolded sentence. The OL accounts for every. single. point. an offense scores.

Even if they put 10 men in the box, the QB is going to have time to throw the ball up and the Jets should have at least one WR who can go get the ball and there will be no defender.

19. J-Raw24

I think they are both scarce. This year is actually deep on both supposedly. But again they are both musts for us going forward . We can't draft defensebover and over and expect our offense to figure itself out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. J-Raw24

Again if the receivers can't get open or reliably get 50/50 balls the qb can stand in the pocket all day behind a great o line.. Look at Oakland.