General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The ambiguity certainly fits the movie rather than being a JJ abrams crutch to distract from bad story telling.

no doubt there will be a sequel considering how well received, and how profitable, the movie is, which should give clues to what may have been real or not in this film, but even then they’ll probably leave it ambiguous.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You think there will be a sequel? Interesting. Definitely has made a lot of money, on a small budget too, just feels like one of those stand-alone movies that will never get expanded on with sequels. You are right though, with how Hollywood works, they will definitely try to make a sequel. I can't see it being nearly as good as the original. The format would not work to be repeated, as he is now a villain. I guess there are plenty of directions to take the character if they want. Up to Joaquin Phoenix.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Motherless Brooklyn. Ed Norton is fantastic. Slow but a great NYC period piece that feels a bit like the movie China Town. Worth seeing.

4. The Dark Knight

Terminator: Dark Fate is an entertaining movie. It was nice to see Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor again. Always cool seeing Arnold as The Terminator too. However, this movie does have some problems and does some stuff that will upset any fan of Terminator 1 and T2: Judgement Day. The logic does not add up, but if you just treat it as an action movie, I think you will have a good time!

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw it today and I did enjoy it. I didn't expect a masterpiece and honestly, it wasn't. However, I'm not sure if this is a reboot or a finale. There was enough there to do another one but the entire Girl Power thing IS old now. Every movie that starred a male cannot be feminized. Come up with some original characters for females instead of simply repackaging old male dominated movies...

/end rant

6. The Dark Knight

Yeah, agreed. The movie BOMBED bad at the box office, so this likely will be the last Terminator movie for awhile. I am sure they will make another one in the future though, because The Terminator ALWAYS comes back! :D

Cman68 likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I just watched The Irishman and I have to tell you that I hated it----it could have ended 2 hours earlier as it was long and drawn out and I think Pacino might have done his worst job ever as he did not come across as Hoffa at all to me. IMO don't waste your time

8. The Dark Knight

I too watched The Irishman last week and thought it was great. De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino are all worthy of Oscar nominations. The tension in the final hour was great. It is a slow burn of a film, but done really well. Maybe you know Jiffy Hoffa better than I do, so I could not judge Pacino on if he played a realistic version of the man. Scorsese did a great job directing. They don't make films like this anymore. I'd give it an A.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm very familiar with Jiffy Lube, but Jiffy Hoffa is a stranger to me.

10. Cman68

Thinking about going to see Dark Waters...

11. The Dark Knight

:D:D:D:D Great catch! Oops! But yeah, I thought Pacino gave a great performance as Jimmy Hoffa, I just did not have much knowledge on the actual person beforehand.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I went to see it in a theatre not at home. Not sure if that makes a difference? I thought it was brilliant story telling. Rarely do Dinero and Pesci play the role straight. They did in this movie and allowed Pacino, playing the big personality of Hoffa to dominate. I thought it was brilliant.

The Irishman had a real feel to it that's rare these days. I was pretty young when Hoffa and the mob roots to the union were being pursued by Bobbie Kennedy. I didn't mind the 3 hours at all.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, 100% agreed with all of that. It also had that rare feeling these days that made you feel like you were watching an actual film. Hasn't been that way in awhile. Really well done.

14. Cman68

Just got my tickets for next Saturday nite... Star Wars: The rise of Skywalker!! 11pm was the only time I could get with side by side seats in a decent area. last row but its all good!

15. The Dark Knight

Nice! I am going Thursday. Can't wait! I think I may see Knives Out tomorrow too. People keep telling me it is great.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I have to wait until next Friday the 27th :(

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Knives Out was great - funny, but also a real whodunnit. Daniel Craig did a great job, but the entire cast (Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Evans, Don Johnson, Christopher Plummer, Ana de Armas) was excellent.

We have tickets for Skywalker on the 23rd. Going to see the off-Broadway show "A Musical About Star Wars" on the 28th. Sort of the Omega and the Alpha of the whole Star Wars experience.

#357 statjeff22, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  18. The Dark Knight

Nice! I will see Knives Out sometime over the holiday then. I still haven't been able to and I am seeing Star Wars tonight. Glad to hear it's great!

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Just read the NY Times review of Skywalker. Thought it was pretty good review. I have to admit I haven't enjoyed any of them with the exception of the first 3.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/movies/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review.html

"Abrams is too slick and shallow a filmmaker to endow the dramas of repression and insurgency, of family fate and individual destiny, of solidarity and the will to power, with their full moral and metaphysical weight. At the same time, his pseudo-visionary self-importance won’t allow him to surrender to whimsy or mischief. The struggle of good against evil feels less like a cosmic battle than a longstanding sports rivalry between teams whose glory days are receding. The head coaches come and go, the uniforms are redesigned, certain key players are the subjects of trade rumors, and the fans keep showing up."

MoWilkBeast and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

Going to see it in a few hours, this has to be the least excited I have ever been to see a Star Wars movie other than Solo. Im not a huge review guy, but the reviews that are coming in say its not a great movie but it does answer all of your questions. Im hoping they explain who Rey is, Snoke is, etc.....