Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I have no idea what his numbers look like. I watch him though and I see a good qb that’s improved from last year and earlier this year. Numbers are going to be skewed by the lack of o line.

#2681 FJF, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He had the same o line last year . Number aren't skewed by that at all.

3. FJF

No he hasn’t.
    The team has used 9 different o lineman this year. I’m not even sure he has had the same o line for two games .

4. J-Raw24

Shell started last year and him and edoga are comparable, HC chose Edoga. Harison started last year and is better than khalil, Beachum started last year. Winters went down but we could upgrade him with a scarecrow. Not really much different

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It's a shame Gase finally realized the importance of using Bell as a receiver, thanks for riding him into ground by week 4. It's fairly obvious he's banged up at this point, he lacks any form of burst. Watch all 31 touches he had vs Cleveland in week 2, he's much more explosive here.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When Sam came off the field "seeing ghosts", that was a big red flag. Granted, he's since has seemed to have been "exorcised", but that kind of stuff can linger.I will say that he's not regressed as much as I feared he would, but he certainly hasn't progressed. Some of that can be attributed to his mono and the shitty OL, but the play calling has had an impact too. IMO Gase is definitely NOT a "QB whisperer".

jixxjr, Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  7. J-Raw24

You maybe right. He could be banged up, or just fighting himself. He has been a solid positive for this team emotionally. Maybe its taking its toll some as well. He was slow versus Cincy for sure.

#2687 J-Raw24, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. FJF

Beachum been in and out of the lineup and is playing on 2 bad ankles(giving him 0 good ankles) 3 games. Shell got benched and then had to start , edoga had to play left tackle for some games. Compton in, k.o. was in for a couple, Lewis for a couple , winters for 4-5. There’s no continuity, which is almost as important as skill, with the o line. Not to mention beachum being the only one who should be starting for any nfl team right now. There’s a reason they expect to replaced as many lineman as possible.

9. FJF

The seeing ghost things has got to be the most overblown thing since the butt fumble. You do realize that every qb in the league has uttered those exact words at some point? It’s an industry phrase , shop talk and means so little to anyone other than the media and those they can get to eat it up.

NYJFOREVER and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

Sam hasn't progressed? He has 10 total touchdowns to 2 total turnovers in his last 5 games. He's averaging 267 passing yards/game, 8 yards/attempt, and a 64.6% completion. Last week vs. Cincinnati would have been a perfect situation for "bad" Sam to come out and start forcing things, playing hero ball, but he didn't. Sure the kid ain't perfect but he's only 22 years old man. The fact that he didn't fold after that New England game and bounced back with a really solid string of games shows he's got the mindset for playing QB, he's our guy.

The biggest problem Sam's got at this point is that he's being victimized by one of the most dog shit offensive lines I've ever seen, and when I say dog shit, I mean the largest pile of shit you could ever possibly imagine.

FJF likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

I agree with you our oline is bad. I'm just saying it was bad last year as well. I honestly am not high on beachum. He gave ip a lot of sacks last year, wasn't ever a great tackle. Just passable. And he is all we have had for a few years.

12. J-Raw24

His last 5 games last year were even better. He didn't progress from those 5 games. Thats what he means. We all know the o line is garbage but as stated earlier it was last year as well.

13. J-Raw24

14. FJF

Last years line was better just for the continuity aspect. Beachum is a middle of the road tackle. He’s had some good games this year, last week was not one of them, Lewis and Compton are bench players , Harrison could be an ok starter with better guard play on each side shell got benched and edoga is a rookie tackle that’s been flipped from side to side. It’s not just a bad o line it’s an absolute nightmare.
    if the original o line stayed healthy and played at their peak level maybe this is a top 16 o line. The left side would have been ok. The right side winters and shell were going to be suspect.

15. J-Raw24

See I think Beachum is bad. The problem is as some of alluded to oline seem to have a huge lack of talent in the nfl as a whole. I'm not sure the reason but 10 years ago Beachum would be a bottom tier starter. Not saying there aren't good left tackles, just not enough.

Hopefully Douglas fixes this issue in the draft. We need a left tackle badly.

I agree with you somewhat on Harrison. I like his connection with Darnold. I think he's a great backup. But I don't believe in using guards to cover up a centers play. I think he is serviceable. Winters and all the other rodeo clowns we keep putting at guard are definitely not helping him for sure.

And our right tackle has always been a problem... Wayne Hunter. ...

16. FJF

I think beachum is ok, would be harder to upgrade him than downgrade from him. Edoga I am high in. I think the experience and a year in the offseason program will make him a viable starter. guarss are the glue to the line. Brick and nick were a bit shaky to start off until we added faneca in between them to settle them down and give them some help.

17. J-Raw24

I think Edoga could develop into a great tackle. He's not there yet. But I think he has the potential. Beachum will hopefully be upgraded this year. We may move the Rookie to guard to learn but he will be there to take over hopefully. And I agree when you have a guard like Faneca it boost the play of the other 2. But center and left tackle still need to be good players. That's why you see teams who draft right put the LT prospect between the center and old tackle to learn. I actually prefer this method to putting them on the right side and making them learn backwards.

FJF likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

First of all, the last 5 games have come against terrible defenses (Dolphins, Giants, Redskins, Raiders, Bengals). We'll see what happens against the Ravens, Steelers, and Bills. Second, the Patriots and Jaguars games count just as much as the last few. Getting on a hot streak doesn't mean you've progressed, look at what happened at the end of last season.

19. NYJFOREVER

You can only play who is on your schedule. If Darnold is going to be good then he should be able to beatdown terrible defenses.

You're right that it's only a hot streak but there is still four more games left, the only thing to do is see if he continues to play like this. Unfortunately the inconsistent offensive line I don't think steady progress is achievable. The most notable form of progress I saw came vs the Bengals when he didn't force anything and play hero ball. He's been making very good decisions for the most part, I want to see that continue.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You can only play who's on your schedule, but you still have to factor that schedule into evaluating players. And Sam's only 3/5 in beating down bad teams, he didn't beat down the Dolphins or Bengals. My guess is people are going to be lower on Sam at the end of the season than they are now (not that they should be, but they will be).

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.