Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Gase isn't getting Douglas fired. In turning the Jets down the first time, Douglas got more power, leverage, money and a longer contract (6 years). Also, Gase played a part in Douglas coming here, but I seriously doubt that he was the only driving factor. Douglas has a great resume and is respected around the NFL. I don't care how much Gase wanted Douglas, if CJ didn't like him or want him, he wouldn't have gone back to Douglas and raised the ante with more $s and years on the contract.

Gase is the one who is skating on thin ice. If there isn't significant improvement next season and the team continues to look unprepared, undisciplined, and isn't competitive against teams, Gase won't get a third year, or at least shouldn't if the Johnsons have any pride or brains at all.

#2641 NCJetsfan, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    NYJetsO12 and J-Raw24 like this.
  2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I agree Rex did a good job all things considered. But like I said the coaching hasn't been good for some time. They control the depth chart and have a hand in the draft. You can have a talented o line and still not be a great team. Oakland has a pretty good line right now and carr isn't playing bad. They may still have a losing season though.

3. NCJetsfan

Good post. I believe your timeline for the last paragraph is incorrect, however. When we hired Idzik Woody used that Head Hunter/Executive Placement Firm. I think they came up with a list of names including Ballard, Pace, Gamble, Idzik, and I think the GM of the Bucs. It was when we hired Idzik that Ballard and Pace and one other potential candidate who had a similar background all refused to interview with the Jets because they were told that they couldn't fire Rex. I believe that Gamble actually did interview, and would have taken the job, but Woody opted for Idzik. He was the guy from the Niners whose name I couldn't remember yesterday.

When McCagnan was hired, Charley Casserly and Ron Wolff were consultants and Casserly was all in on McCagnan. I don't think there were any other serious candidates.

Noam and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

All true, but Rex had a big hand in dismantling the 2009-2010 rosters. IMO, he doesn't get poor offensive talent as an excuse. He was a driving force in getting rid of some of the offensive players/leaders from those teams and in making drafting D the priority.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  5. J-Raw24

Wouldn't it be nice to have an owner that knows at a little about football and hires his own guy. Then lets this team operate like a team should. We need people who know football in the right places. Thats why I still have hope in Douglas. Even if Gase fails I hope he has the chance to bring in his own people.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not disagreeing, that’s part of why he ran his course. His philosophy didn’t mesh with what really needed to be done. But, to me , that falls under player acquisition and not actually coaching.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

FIFY.

Tannenbaum and Rex allowing the talent to drain around Sanchez and not replacing it was the real problem. Yes, Sanchez was not a FQB, but he proved he could win with a good supporting cast. Tanny and Rex fucked that up.

#2647 ColoradoContrails, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's too long to make that sort of decision IMO, I think they need to know this off-season if they got the right guy. But I do agree Douglas needs to pick his own coach should Gase not work out.

9. ColoradoContrails

It won't happen, but the quickest, best path forward is to fire Gase and allow Douglas to hire his own guy. Of course it's possible that Gase IS Douglas's guy, in which case we're doubly fucked.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

Thats the thing thought, its still part of coaching. Good head coaches have their hands in every aspect of the team. From making players understand the system and play their role in it, to majing the game plan, to adjusting gameplan, and also to make sure they acquire the right players. If Rex thought Geno was bad he should of voiced his opinion, and if he did he shouldn't have allowed Geno to start. Unless there was meddling at a higher level this is not an excuse.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah and Sanchez also proved he could make big plays in big spots. He was overall kind of a moron that couldn't figure out zone vs. man but he was given no help by the deterioration of his supporting cast. I think he could've developed a little bit more and engineering another playoff run under Rex if they didn't fall in love with trying to rebuild the greatest defense of all time.

Which they didn't do anyway.

NYJetsO12, FJF, J-Raw24 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Spot on!

13. FJF

That’s just a convenient way to put all the blame on the coach. But it’s not the real world.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. FJF

I addressed this with nc

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The agenda is "Win Football Games," if either of these guys has a different agenda they should be gone. Anything one of them puts ahead of that is grounds for immediate removal.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean there's 53 guys on a roster and what 10-15 coaches under the head coach? I don't know what CEO of a company has time to sit down and work with every member of the team. They're still responsible for the whole but it's not like they get a ton of time with each individual player.

FJF likes this.
  17. J-Raw24

Lol that's a convenient way to try to act like the coach has no blame. It just shows you don't have a clue about the "real world".

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Especially if he's in his office and is waiting for a guy from the training room to knock or the quarterback to "burst in" instead of being proactive and reaching out. You know, like being a leader.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. FJF

Show me where I said the coach has no blame?

20. FJF

Um ,yea?