Daniel Jones

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Oct 12, 2019.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Giants better hope that Barkley comes back to many years of last year's version, or drafting him will turn out to be one of the worst decisions they ever made. It obviously could happen, but the arc of his two-year career is incredibly troubling, since loads of running backs look great, get hurt, and are never the same.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They should have never let him come back. He should have sat until after the bye week.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think that's going a bit too far. There are plenty of top 5 picks who have turned out to be busts (and unless Barkley's rookie level doesn't come back, he doesn't even belong in that category). Now if Barkley is a bust, Darnold becomes a franchise QB, and Jones doesn't become a franchise QB, then their decision will have been terrible. But Darnold hasn't proven himself to be better than Jones, and the only true franchise QB out of the 2018 draft as of now is Jackson, who wasn't seen as a top 5 pick at the time.

4. statjeff22

That ignores the simple fact that picking a running back at #2 when you’re a bad team is insane unless he turns out to be Barry Sanders. He was last year, but is pretty terrible right now. If they wanted a running back so badly they could have gotten a very good one much later in the draft, and picked someone other than a quarterback with the #2 pick if they didn’t like Mayfield and company do much.

And if Darnold doesn’t turn out to be considerably better than he’s consistently shown the Jets’ decision to move up to draft him will end up being disastrous as well.

5. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Investing a high pick or lots of cash into a RB is probably the worst investment you can make in the NFL. There are just too many serviceable ones and RB by committee is the preferred way to go. If you were to come up with a list of most important positions in the NFL what would they be? I'd have it as QB, pass rusher, left tackle, corner. In that order. RB would even't make the top 15 positions.

6. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Perhaps the best RB in recent memory that was drafted very early and actually lived up to some of the expectations was Adrian Peterson. He was drafted #7 overall in the 2007 draft. But honest question, how many playoff wins did the Vikings have to show for it?

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones is surely living up to his Duke billing, following the steps of *Gulp!* Dave Brown!

He's leading the league with what, 14 fumbles now? I still remember watching Dave scramble on the edge of my seat - and he usually didn't disappoint with his fumbles. Why is this not surprising? LOL

dawinner127 likes this.
  8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The 1st thing U learn as a NYJ fan is that because the NYGs were around many more years then the NYJs they have many, many more fans & get far more favorable media coverage then the NYJs mostly because they have 4 SBs to the NYJs 1 :mad:

9. dawinner127

I think you can throw Zeke into that category as well. He has been terrific and he was 4th overall IIRC?

Darnold has absolutely proven much more than Jones. Jones fumbles the ball at a rate that has never been seen before. No rookie QB since 1980 has ever fumbled as much as Jones has and amounted to anything more than a Nick Foles type player. If you you told me you spent the 6th overall pick to draft a QB like Foles I would be livid. Jones is also a one read QB who is only averaging 6.4 YPA (32nd out of 34 qualified QBs this year) which falls behind both rookies Kyler Murray and Minshew and barely ahead of Haskins.

10. Everything Jones does is heavily scripted one read, two at most.

Very curious what he shows in yr 2 once defenses really hone in on his tendencies per norm. I think he falls under the game manager category.Whether thats elite game manager like say Russell Wilson or Alex Smith remains to be seen

Sam is a totally different style QB so its hard to compare head to head. But in terms of playmaking ability due to off schedule unscripted throws he blows Jones out of the water

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Looks like Eli will start this week against the Eagles as Jones is hurt. I thought it would be better to bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I heard he was starting but I didn't know it was because Daniel Jones got hurt. Oh, and you should absolutely have started a new thread just to annoy @FJF. Damn it. Must I do everything around here.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Eli wins, .Jones is slow to heal, .Eli strings out some more wins, .Giants miss out on Chase Young. . .: )

14. statjeff22

You forgot Eli signs a two-year $50 million contract extension.

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

At least we will have an answer to the question of whether Eli is good or not. He currently has a .500 record. Win or lose Eli, we must know!

16. statjeff22

2-2 to finish the season would be poetic justice. If he finishes under .500 this season and never plays again (which is eminently possible), and does get into the Hall of Fame, he will join Sonny Jurgensen and our own Joe Willie as the only HoF QBs with a losing record as a starter.

17. dawinner127

At least he (Jones) will be turnover free this week

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Eli deserves his own thread

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You have no idea how hard I am praying for a tie.

dawinner127 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Haha, for you I'll make three. Holiday spirit and all.