Quick Look at 2020:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 3, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Douglas is as good as many here think, there should be a quick turnaround. If he's anywhere near as bad as the last 2 GM's, well..........

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m quite optimistic that JD will be far and away better than any GM here over the last ten years as a minimum. Hopefully, best ever. Time will tell starting with the 2020 draft.
    IMO, This year started out wrong from the very onset with horrendous out of synch moves but CJ, and went down hill from there. From the selection of a new HC while retaining a pathetic GM, a dreadful draft and free agency that weakened this team far more than strengthened, putting big money and making draft choices on complementary players while the foundation was rotting away. JD was brought in at the last minute, after the usual Mac one person BPA draft, inheriting a HC of dubious reputation, and with both hands tied behind his back he had to go out and plug holes after all the talent was gone.
    I think next year will tell plenty as to which direction this team is heading, from free agency on to the draft. I don’t give two shits what the schedule is next year, you have to beat better teams to be a champion. Gase gets a pass due to the many factors we discussed, but he is still on the hot seat. Next year from JD and Gase the only measure that counts is massive improvement. Show us the fucking talent and the winning ways for once. My two cents.

3. I think one of the main issues is that some teams grade draft prospects solely for their team, while some grade based on an all encompassing NFL scale.The jets fall into the latter. While on the surface theres nothing wrong w this..the team hasnt had an identity since 2010..and its become a massive deficiency.

They need to take a deep dive into their entire scouting/draft process & make the changes they need to make. But they dont have the leadership to make these sort of changes.

4. CotcheryFan

What gives me hope is Douglas has stated how important the trenches are and that he wants players who are passionate and hate to lose almost as much, if not more than they want to win. Using this criteria, there's no way he would've taken Polite in round 3.

I do agree that the team needs an identity and it should be a high flying offense IMO. That's what jets do. :)

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I have seen the future and it isn't pretty, best not to look too hard tbh

Brook! likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How about you just show me where the lie is in my post.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I just think his vision makes a lot more sense than previous visions we've had and I think the GM and coach will work together a lot better than the previous three pairings we've had.

We also haven't had an offensive minded head coach in 25 years. So the drafts have been all tailored to defense and the offense gets the scraps with stop gap offensive signings here and there. We've drafted defensive players with 10 out of our past 11 draft picks. We've drafted three offensive lineman in five drafts and none higher than this years third round Edoga.

We haven't had a drafted wide receiver contribute since Jeremy Kerley in 2011. We've drafted nothing but backup running backs since Curtis Martin retired and have relied solely on acquiring/signing free agent 27+ year old 2 year contributors.

Bowles drilled it into Maccagnan's mind that he needed plenty of defensive backs (two top 40 picks on safeties in the same year, two $17 million/year corners signed). It was just a terrible philosophy.

There's a couple of things that never work out too well in the NFL and when they do they're usually anomaly's or short term contributors. Second contract runningbacks and cornerbacks. You can sign second contract offensive lineman, linebackers, defensive ends and tackles because their shelf life is longer. Receivers too. Corners and runningbacks don't age well. And we've sunk tons of money into both.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your first paragraph makes sense, and I can see a lot of NFL teams falling into that trap. That said, I think some of the teams that fall into that trap have the same problem as the Jets, i.e., clueless owners. IMO that's where a GM with a solid scouting and personnel background or an experienced, insightful VP of Football Administration comes in. With Douglas' background, he should have that understanding. I believe that the Ravens are one of the teams that grade and draft prospects solely for their team, and I think the Eagles may be as well. If the Johnsons have given Douglas the freedom to establish the scouting and personnel program to his designs (At this point I have no reason to believe that they haven't. After all, why would they try to tell him how to do his job? Further, why would someone who knows better, who is respected around the NFL, and probably could have had his pick of NFL GM jobs take the job if those clueless twits who know zero about scouting and personnel were calling the shots?), then I have to believe that he will work with Gase and Williams to grade and draft prospects that fit their systems. I trust Douglas to make whatever changes necessary in the College Scouting and Pro Personnel Depts. in order to get the types of players they are looking for. I believe that Douglas has a basic type of players in mind that he wants for the team, i.e., players that love football, put team first, have great character, are hard working, leader-types. I think Douglas has the leadership to make whatever changes are necessary. I don't think that the Johnsons have to have the leadership or have a clue what or how Douglas does his job. They just need to trust him and get out of his way.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think top down vision and infrastructure is the issue with this so you're right. But you can't grade and draft for your team if you shuffle out a GM and coach every other year.

Bowles and Maccagnan had enough time to figure it out and they didn't. Now we need to keep this staff, front office down, together so they can try to build a system and a culture around it.

Or we can do what every Jets fan wants to do and fire Gase because he doesn't run enough stretch plays and hire Eric Bienemy or some other first year head coach and start this whole process over.

dawinner127, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. You have to have scouts/personnel guys like Wooten/Brandt w Dallas, Hailey w the Steelers or Hitchcock w the Falcons who are/were mainstays within your program who are borderline immune to GM/HC housekeeping.

Dallas & Pittsburgh take scouting/drafting so seriously that they simply will their way to great drafts & consistently talented rosters.

Those are the guys who give the program continuity,have a pulse on the teams needs as well as the college landscape.

Jets havent really had that other than Joey Clinkscales & Senile Bradway in his later years.Trent Baalke was on his way but Niners pounced all over that.

They need to invest in developing young scouts/football minds to give this personnel team some infrastructure,intelligence & continuity.

#50 KurtTheJetsFan, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good point. Looking through my phone book right now. ;) Remember those? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

kind of a tough schedule. but that will be a good test. i see at least 7 playoff worthy teams (bills x2, pats x2, chiefs, hawks, niners) 3 good teams (raiders, rams, colts) and 6 "bad" teams which means fair matchup cause we suck.

13. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Call me when the new oline is installed.......

#53 Andy_M, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  14. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I couldn't say this, but I can totally see this scenario playing out with these clowns....:(

15. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The way I see it, at minimum we'll need at least 2 new OL starters, #1 WR, #1 CB and a pass rusher(s) to get competitive/playoff hopeful.
    And that's just the players. Don't know if Greg Williams will stick around or not.

same as it ever was, same as it.....ever was
    [​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’re competitive right now with 2-3 good o lineman.

Andy_M and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or we could fire Gase and hire a proven HC with experience with winning.

NYJetsO12, Ralebird and BacktoQueens like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it still needs someone in charge of it all who has a blueprint. That can't be the Head of Scouting, or it risks becoming the "tail wagging the dog". In the current set up, maybe Douglas could be that guy, but so far it doesn't look like the Johnsons have backed of their right to interfere and that's the continuing problem with this team.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

Competitive in regular season games, yes. Competitive enough to make and win a Super Bowl? Not without upgrades to the pass rush, CB, and skill positions(namely WR).

Peebag and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Without an OL it will be pointless having a grade A WR.

What came first the chicken or the egg?
    THE FUCKING OL ;)

Andy_M and ColoradoContrails like this.