NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks!!

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

@KurtTheJetsFan @Jonathan_Vilma :

Question: should I play game-after-game of that "draft game" (the one that has its own TGG thread) where I can somehow end up with 27 picks in the first 4 rounds while still having top-20 blue-chippers available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

or,

should I just keep watching actual games? . : )

imho
    Creed Humphrey: country strong wrestler, but "outside of a phone booth" limited. Would prefer Biadasz except that the Jets most pressing OL concern is OT/OG.

Trey Adams: nice to see him holding up after back-to-back injury-plagued seasons (and why probably still available late 2-early 3). His medical concerns give me the Dee Milliner heebie-jeebies. Trey Smith (clots) also comes to mind except he's such a beast and would still grab him with one of the 2 third-round picks).

Mekhi Becton: guy has Solomon Kingley-type (weight) issues. Reminds me of 'dancing bear' Tytus Howard (Texans surprise 1st pick last year). Becton if he can keep his weight in check and improve his hand-punch nastiness....maybe, but dunno. His UL Cards looked like garbage vs. UK today.

Speaking of 'dancing bear' USC's LT Austin Jackson's getting attention lately. Nice-Looking package size-wise and nice mobility as well but very little 'beast' to his game. Pass. Speaking of USC, Pittman: guy was buried under Tee Martin (note USC's offense under new OC Graham Harrell), nice redzone target. Another not fast but a good-size WR baller in the Pittman mold: Gabriel Davis, Univ. Central Florida.

Dear Santa: don't let Joe Douglas draft nobody from Michigan (esp. their OL) but instead each and every and any skill position (esp. WR) from Alabama (Leatherwood/Wills would be ok too). They're 4-deep scary at WR/ST. Entertaining Iron Bowl btw on CBS - worth the watch.

Later round center prospect: Lloyd Cushenberry (ask Joe Burrow) or Darrell Williams (Miss. St., undersized but a lot of dawg in him).

#182 joe, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

@KurtTheJetsFan I respect your takes as you give detailed analysis on prospects, but I still like Biadasz over Humphrey.

Also, you were high on Harry. I feel like Higgins is a rich man's Harry. Great hands, good speed, can be a good red zone target for Sam. He doesn't get the headlines like Jeudy does, but he's very good in his own right.

4. So heres my thought process of Humphrey over Biadasz as there are many layers..

1. First thing i look at w centers is how often they are isolated one on one & obviously how often they win? Now granted Different schemes & surrounding casts play apart but i see Humphrey far more often isolated one on one in pass pro as well as run blocking.Beyond that he is much more effective in those scenarios.Biadiscz is more vulnerable to bull rushes & as well as swim/rips to his immediate right in the A gap.

2. I look at the fit w Sam.I see Humphrey setting a really clean interior pocket absolutely perfect for Sam to get a good base underneath him which sets up all of his success throwing downfield. Biadisz while adequate in pass pro is better suited sliding laterally to help the guards rather than literally anchoring down the entire center of the first level & frankly his pass pro anchor isnt great so hes not gonna improve the initial surge much.His agility in space & on reach/angle blocks is top notch..superior to Humphrey..but feel this team needs not only more in line blockers but also that type of center being what Sam needs.

3.Biadasz body type bothers me.Not that he isnt a huge guy.. He just seems kind of lean not alot of natural leverage to him. Hes gonna need to be ultra quick,perfect w his technique, sink his hips to anchor & have violent hands to have success on the interior. Thats not an easy projection & not all of those qualities match up on tape. He doesnt have great anchor or recovery. Hes better moving forward than stacking his pads.

Have to think 1st level blocking before 2nd level reaches or all the pretty stuff in space esp w an interior blocker.If you cant hang in the phone booth all the athleticism in the world doesnt matter.

#184 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
    NCJetsfan and joe like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

My guy Leatherwood looked really slow at LT today. Think he is probably best suited for guard and could be a luxury to stop gap LT as needed.

I follow Clemson closely and Higgins is the real deal. Not a superstar but a sure thing. Reminds me a bit of JuJu.

Pittman on USC is an underrated one.

Trevon Diggs gets beat a lot but Bamas lacks a pass rush this year so hard to tell.

6. CotcheryFan

Higgins would be a good day 2 pick for us. Johnson, Danztler, or Fulton are CB's who might be available on day 2. I don't see Douglas taking a CB in round 1, which is where I believe Diggs will be taken.

7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Higgins will most likely go day 1. He is a huge target with amazing hands. Not the fastest guy but definitely wr1 material. Combine/predraft could drop him but if i had to guess somewhere around pick 20-25. Fulton will go before Diggs most likely. Diggs is good but seems more like a great cb2 than a good cb1. He gets burnt a lot and sometimes loses the ball in the air. I agreed unless somehow Okudah drops we won't even look at cb in round 1. That said unless Thomas is there for us (doubtful) I think we should try and trade back. More picks. More o line. We need to fix that line first. Then look at cb, wr, and edge. There are good of all 3 going to be available in the 2nd and 3rd..Also good o line Walker Little may make a good LT of the future. I really like Becton from Louisville at RT. I have seen every game he's played. Humphrey is my pick at Center if he's available.

#187 J-Raw24, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  8. NCJetsfan

A number of prospects that the Jets might be considering were on display yesterday in the Iron Bowl. That was one of the most exciting, wildest games I've ever seen. Najee Harris looked amazing. Jeudy and Ruggs looked very good. Their backup QB Matt Jones even looked pretty darned good. Waddle was the most amazing. Whenever he comes out, he's going to be a top 10 pick, if not top 5. On Auburn, Derrick Brown looks like the real deal, their freshman QB Mix looked good, and their RB Whitlow looks good as well.

9. NCJetsfan

I really hate where we're drafting. The way it looks, unless Douglas can swing a trade down, we're going to miss out on all the top OTs and Cs.

While the wins were fun, exciting and gave us some hope for the future, this was not the time to get a bunch of wins. The idea that it doesn't matter where we draft is idiotic. The top positions like QB, LT, edge rusher, #1 CB and #1 WR go early. You might get lucky and one of them fall or find lower-ranked player at one of those positions who winds up being a steal, but that doesn't happen that often. Douglas is going to have a difficult time filling our needs, especially with quality players. It looks like Douglas is going to wind up having to draft the same kinds of players Mac did with his high picks, i.e., players at positions that aren't top priorities, and we'll wind up with second rate players at key positions. Damn this stupid team. They can never get it right. I'm glad they lost today, and hope they lose out.

10. J-Raw24

Well if you look at the Eagles and Baltimore (Joe Ds previous homes) neither are afraid to trade back. We need more picks. With this loss I think we will move insides the top 10. I expect losing to Baltimore and possibly Pitt and Buffalo. We may move into the top 5. Like I said Thomas should be the target... if not we should trade back. If Little is healthy I think he is better than Wirfs and could be had at the end of first or top of 2nd. I think Humphrey will also go at the top of the 2nd. Both of them could change our line completely. Becton could drop as far as the 4th and be a solid RT for us. Guards are the issue but moving either of those 2 tackles inside to develop and shooting for guards the following draft wouldn't hurt. Fact is we need to focus on Oline.. maybe one of the lesser edge like Terrell or Okwara or whatever . Hope they develop. I could see a few days cbs or wr maybe. But O line is the biggest need.

11. J-Raw24

How did Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. look against a good pass rush?

12. NCJetsfan

I would be ecstatic if we could get Thomas and Humphrey, I just don't see it happening at this point. I haven't seen Little play, but didn't like the one draft scouting report I read on him, but that was just one opinion. I'm looking forward to more scouting reports being written, videos coming out of the prospects, etc. If nothing changes with our draft position dramatically, I think we can probably get Becton or Wanogho, and a lesser C prospect, but even that will depend upon how Douglas rates the prospects and if he will stress need over BPA. If not, we'll wind up with a bunch of players who minimally upgrade positions and not see a lot of help for the OL. I agree that the OL is the overwhelming #1 priority, or should be. We may be able to grab Terrell, but I'll bet Okwara goes higher where we need to draft OL. I'm hoping that we can come out of the draft with two very good OL prospects, a good CB and a good WR. Anything else will be gravy.

I hope that we can trade back, but unless a QB or two is slated to fall around 10-11, I'm not sure we'll have many trade back opportunities. Losing to Baltimore (we stand no chance they were amazing today in the pouring rain), Baltimore and Buffalo would sure help our draft position. That is more important to me than any momentum we would get from winning several of our last games, especially because a good number of the players on the team right now won't be on the team 2 years from now, and several won't be on the team next year, so there won't be much gain from momentum. Talent at positions of need (LT, C, Edge, CB, WR, RT, OG) is what we need more than momentum. That talent will create momentum next year, when it matters.

BTW, welcome to the board.

#192 NCJetsfan, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

He looked pretty solid. The one draft report I've read on him says that he's very athletic, quick, fluid, and mobile, but technically is fairly raw. I'm not an OL guru, but he looked pretty darned good to me yesterday.

14. J-Raw24

Thanks. I have actually been reading on this board longer than a member, a few years. Its usually a good place to find news. Just not been vocal as recently the Jets haven't exactly been exciting. Hopefully they can getter better since Mac and Idzik are gone. I been watching a lot more of college than pro this year because of our bad start. I am hoping with trades we can secure several needed lineman, a cb, and edge. I also would like to see them get a big wr. Someone like Higgins but not spend a pick that high. There are a few Antonio Gandy-Golden, Tamorrion Terry, and Collin Johnson are a few.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

After Miami, the jets play Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Buffalo, all which are playoff teams. They'll likely finish 5-11 or 4-12.

A lot of the bad teams all play each other, so still alot of movement to come. Top 10 pick is very likely.

16. CotcheryFan

Agreed, OL is our biggest need. Then, it's WR, CB, Edge in any order. Robinson's a possible Edge prospect who can be had in round 3. We need to get at least 2 OL, 1 WR, and 1 CB or Edge from this draft IMO.

17. J-Raw24

I expect Douglas to do a lot of trading. In order to get what we need its gonna be a must. Unless we drop into the top 5 Thomas won't be available so we should start trading back to the range we value the other o line immediately

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Take that back on Beachum. Our big board should be

1. Chase Young
    1a. Best OT

My ranking of OT: Thomas, Prince Tega, Wirfs, Austin Jackson, Leatherwood,

19. J-Raw24

If Chase Young or Joe Burrows drop to us we should definitely trade... that will be multiple big picks. Maybe even 2 first... Miami and Jacksonville (preferably) both need a qb. And Oakland needs a pass rush.. All of them have multiple first round picks. I like Young.. but everytime we take the biggest talent recently they suck and we still have a shitty o line because of it. See both williams.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I always respect your opinion, Kurt, but I don't agree on Biadasz. I also worry less about the center in pass protection than you do. He moves people in the run game and played very well on Saturday. The only run blocking flaw I saw is that he's a little bit slow on blocking down when his guard is pulling. Beyond that, I think he's going to be an awesome NFL center.

I just don't think we're going to get him unfortunately. I think he'll easily be picked in the 20's but we'll see.