Adam Gase expresses confidence in center Jonotthan Harrison

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, May 10, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What happened, and it's surprising that so many here still don't get it, is that coaches, players and management constantly say what they want to be heard rather than what they believe. Everything needs to be put in context and what anyone says in response to a question should almost be disregarded out of hand. If someone actually makes a statement of their own volition it may be more credible. Or it may just be an attempt to deceive someone.

twown likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Exactly.......I still think the Jets are drafting a center relatively high if JD doesn’t pluck one away in FA.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Unless you include all the Panthers fans who had seen him degrade. I cut pasted some very skeptical posts from a Panthers board at the time, but none of us were really trying to hear it, including me.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to find out what the injury was but he is having surgery.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Has to be a torn ligament then . He was having a good year. It will be interesting to see how Baltimore handles this.

6. I said all offseason that hes not a bad player & had alot of potential.

Hes someone id consider keeping in the starting 5.Hes still young,has earned his keep on this roster & Sam seems to like him.The more he plays the better he gets.

If at all possible we want at least 2 younger guys to stick in the starting 5 to provide some continuity & to build around.Surrounded by better pieces some of these guys would look a helluva lot better & will keep getting better.

Edoga,Lewis,Shell & Harrison would be the guys under consideration. and whomever of those doesnt start id wanna keep as depth pieces.

Id consider drafting Creed Humphrey as competition at both Center & Guard. Perhaps Leatherwood as a guard if we trade down in round 1. Tackles i like Trey Adams if his medical is clean,Mik Becton out of Louisville & Jake Curhan if he comes out of Cal as a Right Tackle.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The knock against Harrison has always been his ability to hold his blocks. He was a sieve. He's gotten better, but still needs guard help which limits the line's ability to open holes or hold protection because you need two to block one. It's supposed to be the other way around, with the center helping the guards.

What he's good at is line calls and he has a very good chemistry with Sam. They are seeing the same things and making the correct reads and calls, much like the end of last season. That cannot be overstated.

He's not the only piece though. Having Beachum back a left tackle has made a huge difference. We saw Edoga and Shell at LT and Beachum is a man among boys in comparison. For a QB, sometimes a split second more time is all it takes. Beachum has provided that and is clearly the best lineman on this team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Beachem has an injury history & is also 30. While good when healthy, He has some matchups he struggles with. Hed be better as a RT except hes not a good enough run blocker.

Ideally he signs a team friendly short term deal & is a stop gap till the new LT we draft is fully ready to protect the blind side.

Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

everyone here hated him and he was awful as a starter last year. with that said he's played solid this year and better then kalil. maybe JD shouldn't have spent the 8 mil to get kalil to un-retire. turned out to be a waste. i'd like to keep harrison around as depth personally but still look at upgrading C in the draft. also worth noting beechum has been playing great

Red Menace likes this.