Greg Williams best Jet defense recently?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Nov 25, 2019.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Oh yes, no doubt. I absolutely love college football and I knew on draft night that our Safety positions were set in stone for 7+ years with Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye both SEC star players. Adams took off like a rocket but Maye, when healthy as currently is, is an awesome player. Great range. We're not getting beat deep 60-80+ yards anymore on one play. He's able to play against the run and hits like a truck I swear one game looked like Ronnie Lott hit sometime. These two almost played college football together as teammates I love them as a duo back there excellent example of how Gase is using Maye. Not having to drop him back literally 30 yards speaks as a compliment to Maye himself.

Together Adams and Maye are becoming the NFL'S strongest SS/FS tandem. Marcus Maye allows Jamal Adams to play fast, play aggressive and more importantly, gamble. You've gotta take risks and Adams is a great weaopon for Gregg to be aggressive

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Nobody is missing Kacy Rodgers around here, that's for sure.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If you want to say GW is doing more than any other d in recent memory while having less to work with I would be ok with that. As far as best d though? Rex’s first 2 years were special

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like our 1969 D too. They forced 4 TOs and won the SB!

5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If the key word is recently then hell yes
    Best defense

but Bowles is a guru- so who knows...

lol

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

GW is doing a decent job and is now getting help from the offense not putting them in bad situations. The two young CB's stepping up has not hurt either.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Money talks & Snyder has been known to spend it. I fear Washington will scoop him up with a offer he can't refuse. Williams once coached defense in Washington, so there is a connection.

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Rex's were until Kris Jenkins was gone. Bart Scott has said it on his radio show. Once Jenkins went out a lot changed. Pouha wasn't what Jenkins was to the overall scheme. I'm looking forward to what Greg does with a full compliment of healthy players.

#28 LogeSection2RowJ, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

*kris Jenkins. And yea, Jenkins was an absolute beast. Pouha was a good enough nt but there aren’t many on the planet like kris Jenkins. Unbelievable speed for such a mountain of a man. It’s a shame his knees couldn’t hold up
    If the corners hold up or are upgraded and Mosley back this d could be that special next year. If we add a bigger pass rushing threat even more so.

#29 FJF, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I think giving William's credit is fair especially with the injuries the defense suffered. Then in turn Gase deserves credit too. This offense was done. Sam looked lost, the OLine looked like it was playing 2 hand touch, every week there are new linemen starting, Bell cant get going...
    Then all of a sudden 4 weeks in a row, opening TD drives. It should've been 5 last game. Most importantly in regards to Gase and the Jets team is, the team was ready to implode.

-Adams was mad at JDouglas and A Gase abt a possible trade
    -Sam was seeing Ghosts.
    - Guys venting on social media...

But the team has stayed the course and now were on a winning streak. It's so weird that I read a recent article saying that dont be surprised IF the Jets beat the Ravens!!?!?! They were saying we were not a gimme, free win anymore. I'm was speechless, how fast times changed.

Either way defense needs to get off the field on 3rd downs, and Offense needs to protect Sam better for us to be a serious team.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NM FJF beat me to the correction re: Kris Jenkins

12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

By the way
    How long is his contract?

13. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

I’d be more impressed if it was against upper echelon teams. The Giants actually moved the ball well against us. Yes we destroyed the Skins, but Haskins is Luke Falk ‘Bad’, and the Raiders are a pretender who we had on our home field in conditions Carr is abysmal in. The Pats moved the ball at will against us 2x, even Fitz lit us up. Let’s see what we do against the Ravens later on.
    To be clear, i think GW has done a VERY good job here, bit to compare this D to ‘09, ‘10 is asinine. Thats more a reflection of the personnel though, not the coach

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Gregg Williams doing a great job w/o his best defensive player all year and terrible CB's and no pass rush besides 33

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Haha, oops! Wasn't Kerry Jenkins a Nets guard? Geez....

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Kerry Jenkins was our outstanding LG for years

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

you mean Kerry Kittles, one of my favorite Net players.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I have always thought that the thing that marks out the great coaches is their understanding of what their players can do. Belichick always seems to know what a player can do. They might excel at just one thing and be average or even poor at almost everything else... so he'll bring them onto the field at the right moment and let them do the thing they excel at.

For years, decades even, I have watched Jets players put into situations they cannot handle, and getting torched or humiliated as a result.

It's one of the most important things for a coach. Get to know what your players can do and limit the amount of time they are asked to do something else. Don't just try to fit them into your scheme.

FJF, NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think that's important and I think in the short term he's doing that. Jamal Adams isn't a drop back in zone and fly up and pick balls off kind of safety unfortunately. So he either puts him in man coverage on a tightend/runningback (which he's good at), or flies him up on a blitz. If he is in that deep zone like he was against the Raiders it was a nothing over your head position.

He's done it with the two young corners too. No man coverage. No huge responsibilities. Keep the routes in front of you and fly up and make the tackle.

We never saw this with Bowles. He was a big fan of playing corners 15 yards off when we weren't blitzing and pressing them if we were and praying they could handle it.

Williams has adjusted to his personnel. He also picks his spots to blitz. And it becomes more effective later in games because you can't just assume he's blitzing on third down. He actually plays a lot of coverage, but he blitzes in big spots (two point conversion vs. Dallas). And I also like that he's not a huge all out blitz guy. The cover 0 blitz has a place and time. And that's not all the time. There are other effective 5 and 6 man blitzes that work.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He has one.

Jamal Adams.