2020 Retain thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think as we move down the draft order the emphasis needs to be placed on getting a good football player. Preferably getting the best offensive lineman in general. If he plays right tackle? Great. If it's a center? No problem.

I think too much is made over the great left tackle. Yeah we need one. But left tackle isn't the only spot where games can be ruined from. Teams do move defensive ends around.

I liked what I've seen out of Wirfs but he does play right tackle now and probably projects better there.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I get what you're saying, but I'd still like to come out of the next draft with our Brick and Mangold of the 2020's. I feel like we can get a good RT in FA or the middle rounds.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Believe me. Me too. But I'd rather not take Garrett Bolles because he projects better to left tackle when we could have Lane Johnson or La'el Collins on the right side.

4. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Ficken SUCKS. No other way to put it. In today’s NFL you need a legit kicker. XP arent automatic anymore, and kickers are now expected to hit from 45-55 more often than not, where as 20 yrs ago that was a luxury. I’ve seen some say here that having / paying a good kicker is a luxury a contender should have and not necessarily a priority for an upstart like the Jets. I wholeheartedly disagree with that as teams like the Jets aren't good enough to overcome a bad kicker, where as the Pats, Chiefs, etc are much more likely to get those points back later. Not really up to date on the FAs out there or the draftees, but I’d have no issue whatsoever using a 5th if there was a Tucker, Lutz type out there to be had.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you but with the way rookie kickers are and the team's need for just about every position I'd prefer a veteran. Ficken does seem to miss a kick a game which isn't good especially if next year we expect to be a playoff team. Just look at week one and we see how a kicker can impact the game. This offseason we'll see how Gase and Douglass look at the position. I'll look later to see who is a free agent who we might bring in.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike Mccagnan for Bless Austin

NCJetsfan likes this.