Greg Williams best Jet defense recently?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Nov 25, 2019.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have kept up with the team since the days of Al Groh....although I was quite young.

I have seen our defense under quite a few different coaches--

-Groh
    -Edward/Cottrell
    -Donnie Henderson
    -Mangini
    -Ryan/Pettine
    -Ryan/Sutton
    -Bowles
    -Now Williams

I have to say that over that period of time I haven't seen our defense perform this well....DESPITE the lack of talent and multitude of injuries.

We are playing really well...what would it look like with talent from just say the Ryan years!

We need to keep GW around....this needs to be a priority.

Do you guys agree?

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It is a pretty good defense. It can't be called great though. Great defenses cause more turnovers and generate more pass rush without having to blitz. We also lack great players at every level of the defense. If Mosley were healthy and we had a better DE/OLB, I think we could potentially be a great D. A top tier CB wouldn't hurt as well.

I think Greg Williams has been absolutely awesome at two things:
    -Developing our younger players
    -Putting guys in roles that they can excel at

Williams deserves a ton of credit though.

ukjetsfan, azhar80, donkey and 9 others like this.
  3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He is indeed a HC, even though a half one at that. I don't think he wants to leave this post to go for full HC somewhere else, provided this team starts playing better in years to come.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I just looked up the stats.

Wow.

Even with this depleted talent all across the board, Gregg's defense currently ranks #1 in rushing D and #9 in passing D, making #8 in terms of yardage. His defense this year did give up some scores (23.5) but that was expected somewhat. He STILL doesn't have any edge presence, and the passing number still looks THIS good already. Imagine how he could make this defense look with the likes of any blue-chip pass rusher.

5. PennyandtheJets

Like Josh Allen....:(

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Talk about overreaction Monday. In 2010 we beat the Colts (#4 in yards, #4 in points) and Patriots (#8 in yards, #1 in points) in the playoffs, on the road. We had the #3 defense in yards that year and the #1 defense yardage wise in 2009.

They've played well over this stretch of three games and the course of the year despite the offensive inefficiencies. But c'mon now...

7. PennyandtheJets

Agreed, but to be fair the original post did say recently.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You again?

What the fuck?

I wasn't talking about the defensive performance over the past three games only.

You can go look up the stats directly at NFL.com and see for yourself.

Jesus fucking Christ.

P.S. If this still doesn't make sense: how can the Jets give up 23.5 points per game when they give up 27 (Giants) 17 (Redskins) and 3 (Raiders)? Tell me about that.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Right and then it went on to list coaches all the way back to 1999.

I wouldn't anoint anyone yet. Gregg Williams has manned defenses that have only broken into the single digits ranks of points or yards twice in ten seasons since 2008 (#9 in yards allowed with the Rams in 2016, #4 in yards, #7 in points during Bounty Gate in 2010 with the Saints). The Browns were 30th and 21st respectively last year.

It looks good now. And he seems to be doing a really good job coaching these guys up. But there were also stretches where Bowles defenses looked amazing. And the defense doesn't compare in the slightest to Rex's despite the talent gap.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Remove the stick out of your ass and then we can have a discussion. I replied to the OP, not yours. No one disputed your fucking stats.

Defensive over something that has nothing to do with what you said. Yeah. Jesus Christ.

joe and cval like this.
  11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Gregg has been stellar. He's having a tremendous year all things considered.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I said it in the game thread, I hope a team doesn't come calling this off-season for him to be their HC. What he's done with the talent that he's had to work with is amazing. I know his run in Buffalo soured people, but his interim job in Cleveland somewhat offsets that - hopefully the league believes that he's very good co-ordinator, but not HC material. Wade Phillips, Norv Turner and Dom Capers come to mind...

FrontOfficeFanatic and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pump the brakes on that one.

The Ryan/Pettine defenses were easily the best in recent memory.

GW has done a great job given the injuries and crappy offense leaving them on the field too much though, definitely deserves credit for that.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

The best defenses I've seen were under Rex Ryan 2009 and 2010 and yes we had Godly Revis but we lacked Safety's and outside pass rushers but yet during those two seasons we were as dominant on defense as we've ever been. 1998 under Parcells was fun to watch as well.

I love the potential of our defense under Gregg Williams and being led by Jamal Adams. We just need a true #1 CB and another pass rusher opposite of Jordan Jenkins and we'll have an insanely great defense.

Gregg Williams is a great coach to have for our defense moving forward.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Agree with all the Posts complimentary of Williams ...also get Vilmas cautionary notes

With GW The results so far translate into wins guys .plus no one was hating on him like Gase

I am not so interested in historical comparisons to 2009 or other Jet D ...I mean who cares?

Let's see if GW keeps the guys on D pumped , encourage great talent like Jamal and get our #1 draft pick QWs motor going

I say Douglas/CJ pay Williams some big $ to stay on the Jets and be our fail-safe HC if Adam Gase screws the pooch

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Adams is a key piece, no doubt. I also tend to think that Marcus Maye is another crucial piece that makes this defense work.

Remember, back in Cleveland, when Williams had to deploy Peppers like a mile behind LoS because he couldn't cover a damn thing. He doesn't need to do that with Mayes back at FS. That helps the integrity of this defensive structure tremendously.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Ryan's D in 2009 was disgusting and was very good in 2010, imagine if he had a true edge rusher...

Williams is doing a fantastic job with this defense though, and it only helps that our offense is finally scoring a ton of points as it lets Williams open the blitz and get after the QB. I saw Adams blitzing almost every play when we had a three possession lead.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I guess you missed the first two years of the Rex Ryan era...Rexs defenses were so good he went to back to back afc title games despite having Mark Sanchez at QB.This defense has been up and down all season long....The Dolphins moved up and down the field on us,Jags did the same,Bills did the same ,Patriots did the same..etc..Theres no comparison to this and Rexs first two years

19. FrontOfficeFanatic

I can appreciate your stance, I'm a realist as well...proven in my other posts. With that said, I'm pretty impressed with GW and how he has handled holes in the roster. I judge coaches on how well they can adjust to their players and deal with adversity, which he has done well. IF we get our guys healthy and can fill more holes in the offseason...I think were a top 3 defense next year. I think if we didn't lose CJ and Avery we could have been that this year to be honest. Greg has handled this situation wonderfully.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. FrontOfficeFanatic

I agree on paper that those defenses were better, but I think if you gave GW the same resources Rex had in the secondary his defense would be better. Greg's approach seems to be more balanced and he seems to build a defense more deep than Rex did. Our younger guys know their role and the the unit is playing well off each other.

BudJet and NCJetsfan like this.