Shoutout to CBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrjet80, Nov 24, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I haven't been that impressed with Edoga thus far. Maybe he needs more time but Shell has outplayed him up to now.

I'm really curious what JD does ( aside from the draft ) in regards to the OL with all of the pending FA's and fringe starter types.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. I think they'll keep him because he's cheap and has potential. He could still develop. I hope that Shell isn't back as a starter, but would be OK with his coming back as the backup RT.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not always right but I tend to be in the camp that shitty tackles can be OK guards. I thought that's what Edoga was drafted for although others have pointed out that he primarily played both tackle spots in college.

With that being said, I feel like Shell has been decent and should be retained as the swing tackle/first man up at non-center spots. I keep getting confused as to why Edoga has been starting over him. Edoga looks like his feet are slow as hell and he's a little short with short arms to be a tackle.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree.

To be fair Edoga has been kind of banged up even before yesterday and he is a mid-round rookie. However it seems Shell has picked up his game recently - he was coming off an injury as well. I can see Shell as a swing tackle/first man up as well. I think Lewis and Harrison are keepers as well although I'd like to see the Jets draft a center once and for all. Harrison I see as another spot starter/good depth. Lewis I think would be in the mix for one of the starting guard jobs - probably where he is now on the left side. Beachum? Well I guess we'll find out but if he is not retained then you know LT will be a high priority in the draft. If he is re-signed then you have to think LT may not be in the plans - for the first round anyway.

Personally I would like to see both a LT and C added early in the draft. I'm not sure if it's possible especially if the Jets finish with 6 or 7 wins.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Depends on your perspective on that.

For me, they are, especially with this team.

Anything after the first round is a late round pick with me in perspective with this team. We have such a shotty draft history, we barely get the first rounder right. Let alone anything after that. Ha

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Leatherwood and Jackson are 2 blindside OT prospects who could be available when we pick. I don't think's it's Thomas or Bust for the position.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree about Shell being the swing tackle unless he has improved dramatically. He was a disaster earlier when playing LT.

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A lot of ppl think it takes a good 3 seasons to properly evaluate a draft. Except for TGG, who can evaluate a draft before a single snap has taken place!

IIMeanDeanII and Ralebird like this.
  11. I think Edoga will be ok. He has some good snaps mixed in there w the bad.Thats the key w a young OL.If theyre just getting beat every single play & showing no signs,it’s cause for concern. If hes battling & displays any ability to win matchups thats what you wanna see.

Theres always a big jump from year 1 to 2 to even 3 in OL.They get stronger, better conditioned, the technique improves & the game slows down. Edoga is a talented player that will benefit from the offseason program.The lumps hes taking now will serve him well down the line esp if the team keeps winning.

Truthfully i like him better at Guard however & have said so since he got drafted.

Footballgod214, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Holy shit I knew he's been balling due to passing my eye test but I had no idea he's been performing as a top 3 CB. What a steal if continues to develop at this rate/pace.

KurtTheJetsFan and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

They played well. Maulet was feast or famine as I remember seeing him miss at least 2 tackles that went for 1st downs but over played really well.
    jftr,
    There were some WIDE open drops yesterday too and the fukin screens keep killing us.
    over all though they are playing really well in the scheme considering who and how.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Blasphemy!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Damn that was a great hit. I could watch that over and over. Old school NFL type play

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If Austin continues playing at or close to this level for the rest of the year I think they've found one of their starting CBs. What a bonus that would be.

Maulet has been great too, but he's not far removed from bouncing around the league and being waived by the Jets so I'd like to see this solid play continue for the rest of the year before imagining he could also be a starter going forward.

Poole definitely needs to be brought back. Great pickup.

And I really hope Daryl Roberts is no more than the 4th CB going forward...

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

One thing about Maulet is that he sure can tackle. He breaks down and wraps up. Both of these guys are setup to play really effectively in cover 2 schemes. Let's hope they both keep it going.

I agree. Roberts sucks. Shades of Kyle Wilson. Always in pretty good position but just no idea what to do when the ball approaches.

19. Footballgod214

Somewhere in the Adirondack mountains, in a rocking chair on the front porch of a small lakeside cabin, under a warm blanket sipping a cup of Starbucks coffee, Maccagnan is smiling.

20. Footballgod214

and this is what worries me about anointing Bless Austin too soon. Roberts came out of nowhere last season and came on strong towards the end. So strong, he was anointed a starter. Lets let Bless play out the rest of the season before getting my hopes up too high, but ya, Roberts has dropped off the map.