Shoutout to CBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrjet80, Nov 24, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen or read too much about the great job the starting CBs - Arthur Maulet and Blessuan Austin did today. Yes there were a couple of early drops which helped their cause but Austin did have a nice 3rd down breakup. Each CB held their own. Williams and Renfro held to under 50 yards combined. Also a shoutout to Brian Poole and the one handed INT return. Great job......it sure will help in the coming offseason if these guys are keepers. I’m sure JD will bring in another CB whether it be in FA or via the draft. But these last couple of weeks have looked promising for the future at CB for the Jets.

BudJet, twown, cval and 6 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I believe that Maulet also had 4 tackles for loss.

BudJet likes this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Can someone with all 22 answer some questions after film review

1. how is the secondary looking ? Seriously. They seem legit but could be for other reasons? (Aka good scheme or bad QB’s or good D line pressure)

2. how is Q looking? I don’t see sacks but is he producing in other ways?

3. is the O line much improved or is it just Sam? The run game is not there so is it just Sam?

Thank you

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Austin looks like a keeper reminds me of Jerry Holmes

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Without watching the All-22 I can tell you that at the very least they were extremely prepared and disguised well. There was no playing 15 yards off against these receivers full well knowing that the Raiders make their hay on 5-10 yard passes all game long. I saw the corners retreat a couple yards pre-snap and then creep back up. Very deceptive for a QB. Cover 2 and cover 3 are vastly different and have much different flat defenders.

The corners were aggressive and seem to play very well on anything outside the numbers. I can't tell what coverages we're primarily playing but it looks like a lot of two high safeties (if Adams isn't blitzing in the box) in cover 2 or cover 2 matchup zone kind of deal.

NCJetsfan, FJF and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Now there's a name from the past. Since you mentioned him I looked him up for a refresher on his Jets career, which I had forgotten was interrupted by two USFL seasons, one of which was with his former coach Walt Michaels. So many interceptions!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Holmes

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The secondary is much improved actually and they playing a bit more zone. Bless plays off more then most but his closing speed and instincts are pretty good for a rookie. Plus he's not afraid of helping in run support. Maulet today was awesome, ever since he's gotten the chance to start after Hairston got hurt, he's taken off with the other spot.

2- Q plays a lot as the nose so he's literally just mucking up the run game in general. He's been great in that regard but I'd like if Q would be more a 3 technique so he can let loose as a pass rusher.

3- they still can't open up holes in the run game but Bell did have a few nice runs today...pass Protection has been better but the Raiders struggle to get after the QB, plus they don't send the house as much as other teams have against the Jets.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To add to point number 2. GW is stunting QW on passing downs to open (try to open) free runners on blitzes. They are not asking him to do much other than tie up blockers and let Adams and the backers make the plays. But he is doing what they are asking him to do very well.

chandler likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The hit on Renfro by Austin was about the hardest hit you can make on a player with absolutely no chance of drawing a flag. Shoulder to shoulder perfection in this era of flag football.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

We're now 3-0 since the arrival of Blessuan Austin!!!

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

awesome thanks

makes sense

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the best part was on the broadcast the announcer said something like "wow, the Jets don't have enough defenders on that left side. If the Raiders throw it over there its an easy 1st down!"

and then the Raiders DID throw it over there

and Austin destroyed Renfro. 4th down :D

Br4d, All Gas No Shake and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Bless Austin is the real deal....great size.....great speed....great strength....great tenacity and a local product. We have a a great piece in him.

If we can add another legit corner via draft...we'll be solid. Keep Poole inside and stand pat at the two safety positions. Move Maulet to the 4th corner spot.

chandler and mrjet80 like this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I remember that as well. Trent Green mentioned the flat being wide open...noooot so much.

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yep. But he also called it out as soon as both teams broke the huddle, completely ignoring the fact that Austin and Maulet were showing bail technique (cover 3) early in the formation and then running up to the line to jam right before the snap.

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It's very very encouraging...….let's hope they keep it up and I hope Austin stays healthy finally.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Okay.. I hate to be that guy.

...but

Mac's late rounders are all of a sudden looking better since his departure. Just saying...

Blessuan Austin
    Blake Cashman
    Chuma Edoga
    Nathan Shephard
    Chris Herndon
    Folorunso Fatukasi
    Jordan Jenkins
    Brandon Shell
    Lac Edwards
    Robby Anderson

Hit on several early round picks for us too. Overall, yeah, still not a great hit and miss ratio, but I'm glad it is looking a lot better than a lot of us had thought prior to this season.

19. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about Holmes. I wonder why the Jets released him in TC in '88. He could still play. He did have a ton of interceptions. Wish we could add someone with that ability now.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

My only quibble with this is that Edoga, Shepherd, and Jenkins were 3rd rounders and Herndon was a 4th rounder. Those aren't late round picks.