Raiders are a good test in determining our progress

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Ya think? You mean they don't just create a game plan at the beginning of the season and go with it? :rolleyes: TBF though that's exactly what it looked like Gase had been doing for half the season.

Yes, of course he adjusted the GP based on the opponent, but the plays called yesterday were night and day different than what he'd been calling. We saw bits of that change against the Giants and Skins, but that seemed like a warm up to the Big Unveiling compared to yesterday.

Yes, the offense was going to struggle from the beginning based on the issues you noted, but it didn't have to be THAT bad. I think better coaches would have done a better job than Gase did with that. But if he's learned his lesson and continues to improve maybe he'll work out. I'll reserve that judgment until the season ends.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

That said, I think it was worth the attempt. Had he been able to return somewhat to form h would've been a big improvement. I give Douglas credit for trying to improve the OL with very little to pick from.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Agreed wholeheartedly. Just a simple passing view of any of the offensive plays yesterday reveal a totally different gameplan then what we had seen earlier in the season. Where was a double reverse flea flicker anytime else this year?

Yes, mono can have lingering effects weeks....perhaps months after it takes hold on you (beyond the confines of the spleen issue). I am no professional athlete by any means but I am a very active individual who skis and plays rec sports. I had mono years ago and speaking from experience even after the sickness passes, the fatigue is very very real and took a whole summer away from me. I honestly had days where I physically could not pull myself out of bed and mentally was as astute as an 80 year old. Not to make excuses for Sam because sure enough there was some BAD play in there but football as a QB requires a sharp mind to read defenses, if his mind was even working at 75 percent of how mine was working...I feel for him. That combined with road cones for an O line...well you put the puzzle together.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yesterday is why the losses to the Bills, Dolphins, and Jaguars were so frustrating. The league is that close. The Jets were not (1-7) bad, as I had originally thought and apologized for. :)Losses to the Browns, Patriots and Eagles without Sam, and the MNF ghost game were acceptable, but those 3 were not. If the Jets had won them, they are (7-4) right now and in a great position. Even if they just won 2 of them, they are (6-5) right now. I've said it before, but that is why the NFL is such a great sport. Every game is so important. When the Jets lost to the Bills Week 1, we all knew it could cost them. And that was before all the injuries, mono, and ghosts. Looks like the Jets have come through and are a better team for it, but 2019 is likely lost and that is unfortunate.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So you've gone from he sucks and should have never been hired and should be fired now so we can move on quickly to you'll reserve judgement until the season ends?

Luke Falk and BB taught him one hell of a lesson.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Then people shouldn't go into the game proclaiming Gruden should be the front runner for COTY or the Raiders are the up and coming team in the AFC and are a playoff caliber team. Can't have it both ways.

7. ColoradoContrails

Unlike you apparently I'm not perfect and occasionally have to admit when I'm wrong. Maybe Gase can become the HC we hoped he'd be, but he's not there yet.

As for who "taught him a lesson", I'd say it was Darnold if reports are to be believed. If that's true that speaks volumes about what kind of leader Sam can be, and also what an obtuse asshole Gase is, but at least he listened.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sometimes people listen only when their back is up against the wall.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I read that Sam barged into AG office POed & told him what he can & cannot do & then is when it all turned around. :mad:

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The point was literally that people who don’t like Gase understand that the OL has played poorly. Stupidly, I thought it was implied that Gase has an impact on that.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I liked the hire for one reason. The alternatives and I thought based on Payton Manning recommendation he might be good for Darnold. I don't have enough information with a good roster to know if Gase has the goods or not. I do know there wasn't enough information on him for the beating he took here.

Gase didn't get taught a lesson he, like everyone is capable of evolving. Taught him a lesson sounds like a nun with a ruler whacked his knuckles.

chandler and FJF like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I heard he jacked Gase up against a wall and put a gun to his head and made him watch as Sam pissed all over the playbook. The Sam ate gase’s lunch right in front of him. Not the whole thing just a bite out of each item. :mad::mad:

BrowningNagle and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I will admit I liked the Gase hire, and also that he tested my confidence in him many times. I do think though we have to cut a little slack. He probably had one or maybe two of his starting guards injured, and everyone needs a little time to build some rhythm together.

my fingers and toes are crossed that the O-line can keep Darnold upright this year (along with quicker releases), and that the team can dedicate some resources to O-line to make it an area of strength

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

finally, Darnold is takin some initiative!!!

FJF likes this.