Raiders are a good test in determining our progress

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get your point, but I also think Gase changed the game plan and play calling to take better advantage of what he has, not what he wishes he had. Whatever, something has changed and I hope it sticks.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to listen to sports radio tomorrow and listen to them say, “oh the raiders aren’t legit” just because we beat them handily

matt robinson 17 and FJF like this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Truth

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He would, but I wasn't sure about others. Maybe I have mistakenly taken the zone blocking scheme to be more about finesse than power.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

people are blinded by their hatred of Gase to realize this. It’s weird. Good post

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t really get this sentiment from any poster. Seems to me that most everyone agrees that the offensive line play has been atrocious.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not as of late, it has not been atrocious.

In fact, yesterday throughout the whole game, I found myself forgetting about them, which much like a baseball catcher, speaks wonders on their performance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Right...I get that. It doesn’t erase all the other games where it was atrocious. The point was that Gase haters understand that the OL has played bad this season.

9. Falco21

Correct, but the point being that the Offensive Line is playing well right now, hence the success.

No one is discounting the piss poor play for the better part of 2 years. But it is obvious to any fan that the line playing well has equaled a high powered offense that has scored over 100 points in three games.

No surprise either that the defense is playing at a very high level also. Keeping them off the field while the offense goes on 96 yard scoring drives, not only builds confidence and momentum, but it gives them much needed rest.

It is amazing what a good offensive line can do for a team

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

OF COURSE, i missed the game yesterday due to home construction project Iḿ trying to finish before THanksgiving.

So i have a questoin for those of you that are praising the O-line play

Is Jonathan Harrison playing much better than Khalil (who was atrocious this year, terrible move bringing him in) and if so, do you think the season could have been better without brining Khalil in at all?

11. Falco21

If you want my honest opinion, I heavily agreed with bringing Khalil in. Harrison was struggling and Khalil brought veteran leadership to the line with 5 years of pro bowl history.

But after yesterday, I think it is safe to say that Harrison was definitely a factor in the line playing well. Having Khalil in there very well could have been impacting the entire line's ability to take that next step and play at a higher level.

All in all, it seems to have been a mixture of things, but this was definitely on my mind yesterday after the game

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Or perhaps he looked at tape and had a game plan for the Raiders that was slightly different than the game plan for The Giants and Washington.

The team played hard and smart on both sides of the ball. They came out and went down the field on their first possession and after half time. The Raiders have the highest paid coach in the NFL. Gase owned him with his game plan and with his half time adjustments. The Jets completely bought in.

The Offense was never going to work from the beginning. The OL was a hot mess in the beginning. Darnold was sick in the beginning. The backup QB went down almost immediately. This was always a work in progress with the goal of getting better and developing Sam.

You will get your wish. Gase will get fired. The timetable has changed.

chandler and FJF like this.
  13. STARoSCREAM

Itś something im gonna try to pay extra attention to for the rest of the season. If Harrison does step his game up, maybe he can be reliable next year. Id still like to go O-line in round 1 and 2 in the draft dependent on what we do in FA, we NEED Edge and an extra CB as well, but definitely trending upward

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

your answer is yes, the offensive line would've looked better from day 1 if Kalil was never brought in. He sucked and should've stayed retired. Harrison was the center all through OTAs, minicamp and nearly all of training camp. Kalil was sitting at home. and it shows.

15. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

I have to give Gase and williams credit, against a good Raiders team that was dominant. I have not been a fan of Gase so far, but yesterday, he went up in my estimations. Nice to be able to get excited watching the Jets this year. bring on the rest of the season. If we can put a run together and beat some other good teams, the fans and me might come round to him. Only definite looking loss on the schedule is Ravens, Could he go 8-8? It's what Gase did a lot in Miami. For right now though that was just a great game.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Was a fun game to watch, and to think the offense looked that precise in less than ideal conditions!

We're essentially using our second string O line at this point. They are playing much better but you also have to credit a synergy with the offensive play calling and more familiarity with the system

Darnold was able to get that extra second to think; most plays he was able to release quickly (which certainly helps the O-line)

These opening drive touchdowns were near extinct for us (refs robbed us yesterday on opening drive); and that long drive was awesome

Considering all the injuries we've had ILB it's crazy to think we're defending the run this well

Shepard went from dud to stud in a couple of weeks. He's been a handful

Let's keep it rolling!!

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So, is it safe to say the Jets passed this test yesterday?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. STARoSCREAM

Id say yes

next test, can we NOT lose to a team with no wins?

We failed that last time we took that test

Cman68, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Are you discounting the effect that improved play calling has on the OL performance? The types of plays Gase insisted on calling up until recently were a big part of why the OL - why everyone - was struggling. That's on the HC and that's why I think he's not a very good one. That said, if he's finally let go of his obtuse mindset and has changed things - which is looks like he has - then maybe he can be the HC we all hoped he would be.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If a playoff hopeful loses to a 3-7 team 34-3, they probably aren't legit.

I loved the game, but the Raiders looked like hammered crap nearly every play. They came out flat and got caught in a trap game before their KC showdown next week. Sucks for them. Was fun for us.