2019 NFL Season - Week 12: Jets vs Raiders

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by Brook!, Nov 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep, and what's worse, 4 of them aren't on the team any longer and one of them is out of the NFL altogether.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Looking at how many of our draft picks flat out sucked over the last decade or so dating back to the end of the Tannenbaum era, I'd have to say our scouts have done a piss poor job at talent evaluation. If they find success somewhere else, good for them. I'm not concerned with what they do AFTER they leave the jets. I can't believe this team could possibly be so stupid as to go into drafts with zero input from the scouting dept. Especially with Macc being an ex-scout himself. No, there's no absolving the scouting dept. I believe Macc supposedly did an overhaul starting with getting rid of Terry Badway. I could be wrong about that but I think Macc did give Badway his walking papers.

K'OB and joe like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Wilkerson is out of football as well, I doubt he catches on with a team at this point.

PabloJa likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

At best it’s going to be wet fields and some winds tomorrow. If it goes to run games I think we have an edge from our defense alone. Either way, hammer the under tomorrow.

5. NCJetsfan

I either hadn't heard that or had forgotten it. That's even more disturbing.

6. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

It involves more than assessing talent. I suspect too many scouts and GMs get wowed by sheer physical talent, and they forget that each player also comes equipped with a head. Scouting a player's make-up is just as important as assessing his physical talent. As the saying goes, you can't teach talent, but I wonder if the Jets have gone for too many guys with great physical gifts but shaky work ethic, bad character etc. The GM has makes the final call on whether a player's talent outweighs a shaky head.

Here's what I mean: there are a lot of players who do well in college because of their talent. They're bigger, stronger or faster than the guys they're playing against. Once they get to the NFL, they're facing goes who are just big, strong and fast as they are, and maybe bigger, stronger or faster. At that point, they have to work their butts off to survive. They have to spend their time in the weight room, studying film, learning technique etc. Some guys will put the work in, and some won't. The trick for the scouts and GMs is to figure out which ones have the necessary drive and which ones don't. Also, factor in that the fame and money that go with being an NFL player can spoil a kid who lacks the maturity to deal with it. (I shudder to think of what I would have done with money and fame at the age of 21).

Of the failed draft picks we all lament, I wonder how many bombed because of faulty scouting evaluation, and how many were busts because they were lazy, stupid or were too enamored of the limelight/nightlife.

There's a great story about Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning when they attended the mandatory rookie symposium. Leaf went into the back, put a couple of chairs together and slept. Manning, on the other hand, sat in the front, took notes and asked questions. They both had remarkable talent, but only one of them had a pro-quality head. Their respective behavior sort of told you all you needed to know, right?

#86 Since1969, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  7. NCJetsfan

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/...continues-to-reshape-scouting-department.html

Yes, according to that article, within days of being hired, Mac fired:
    Terry Bradway - Senior Director of College Scouting
    Jeff Bauer - Director of College Scouting

Mac also fired the following in May:

Brandon Prophett - Pro Personnel Director from 2000-2009
    Cole Hufnagel - scout had been with the Jets since 2006
    Rick Courtright* -scout
    David Hinson* - scout
    Chris Prescott* - scout
    Seth Turner* - scout

*Hired by Idzik

So you can't really blame the scouts for the long term screw ups, as Idzik had hired 4 new scouts, and then the next year Mac fired them plus other Sr. Personnel people. Bradway and Bauer probably had a lot of influence on the scouts. The scouts still could have been lousy, but when your bosses are Bradway, Bauer, Tanny, Idzik and Mac, I don't think anyone would have had a chance to be good.

#87 NCJetsfan, Nov 23, 2019
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

IF the Jets win this game it could be the turning point for Gase as Jets HC.

Looking at the upcoming schedule IF they beat the Raiders a 500 record could be within reach. I can't see them getting swept by Miami.

The Bengals game is scary because Cincy has been a house of horrors for the Jets lately and they're winless.

But man a win against Oakland 500 could be within reach and who could've imagined those words being uttered earlier this season?

Heck the Jets could go into that game against Baltimore on a tear but now I'm getting carried away a bit.

9. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

My best friend is a Raiders fan and he's been running his mouth lately and talking trash....can't blame him though. I'll feel good about this season if we can take them down this week!

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

How is that game scary? The Bengals are worse than the Redskins and their offensive line is worse than ours which is saying something.

11. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

He didn't say it, but I'm assuming it's the usual Jets fan paranoia about losing to a (possibly still) winless team. Benigno was saying the other day that if the Jets manage to beat the Raiders, he fully expects them to lay an egg in Cincinnati. Same deal as expecting Leonard Williams to have a career game against us two weeks ago.

I blame no one for expecting these things.

12. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

We are committed. It’s only bloody rain mate.

Our tailgate is great rain or shine and the Jets will defeat those silver and black west coast turds.

We will eat like Kings and get roaring drunk!

Besides when it rains you can seat surf with care abandoned.

Might get down to row 1 behind the Jets!

#92 GreenFan15J, Nov 23, 2019
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Where does this come from? I know that Woody's meddling is a theme that has been thrown around here before but is there any substance at all to the claim? By all appearances the guy showed up and got his picture taken, congratulated the draft picks with the appropriate platitudes, said all the right things each season but virtually never had anything to say in public about football operations, exactly like a guy who knew nothing about football.. Not the kind of image one would get for a guy who might have had his fingerprints all over everything.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The thing is though he had talent, he just stopped using it when he secured his bag of cash.

15. WarriorRB28

We've already seen two epic SOJ losses this year do you really need to ask?

16. WarriorRB28

This might sound a bit crazy but this game could actually be a critical playoffs-tiebreaker type of game down the line for both teams.

That's for those who want to dare to dream what a win today could mean.:)

17. WarriorRB28

I'm sooooooooo glad this game is here home sweet home instead of frickin' Oakland.

I hate it when the league makes the Jets go out there. For a while it seemed like the NFL made the Jets play the Raiders there all the time.

Phew!!!!

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

19. FJF

Even cimini has refuted the claim that woody is a meddling owner. But it doesn’t matter, blind emotion trumps logic and evidence everyday

Ralebird and Aero like this.
  20. FJF

Yup. Take the under and expect a lot of running. Considering our corners that’s a break for us.

Cman68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.