2018 1st round QB Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Me? I would do exactly what the Ravens are doing with Lamar and hope he has a long, fruitful career bringing multiple rings to Baltimore. Super athletic QBs who take on the whole defense haven't panned out well in the long haul, but with the rules changing every day to favor the QB maybe now's the time, and Lamar's the man.

Rules have changed (drastically) to favor the QB/WR in the passing game. With QBs like Lamar showing up more and more, rules will start changing to protect QBs in their running game too.

Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

From a personality standpoint Allen is a little phony. not genuine. I could see him teammates turning on him at some point in his career

he is more accurate than people give him credit for though

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I thought RGIII might be the one to finally "work" until the hamstring snapped. But that doesn't mean Lamar's is going to snap. Maybe he's the one that finally does it. I really didn't think he'd be anything more than a NFL backup with that shaky looking throwing motion. He's certainly got things rolling this year and deserves all the credit in the world.

Personally I'd still take my chances with Sam though and that's not even a close decision for me.

4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

at some point in his career (most likely sooner than later), Lamar is going to have to rely on his passing game over his running game.
    At that point, let's have this conversation again.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You just said the Ravens were thinking about converting him to receiver and they still aren't sold on him?

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why? What if he has two rings by then? Cam Newton went to a SB and won an NFL MVP. He's only 30 and skeptics are ready to pronounce his career dead. If he retires tomorrow, his career dwarfs every other QB in his draft class.

Lamar Jackson will have to learn to slide. But he still has some years that his body can take the abuse. By the time he starts to hit 26/27/28 he will have to stop taking the hits but for now I'd let him run. I don't think he's the fastest straight line speed QB to ever play (Vick was faster and RG3 might've been in a straight line spring) but he's definitely the most shifty and slippery ball carrier. And he's still extremely fast.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Oh...I don't think he'll have a long term career if he keeps playing like he is.

He'll either get hurt or slow down. Right now he's thrilling the crowds.

Teams are having trouble solving the Lamar Problem. Belichick better figure it out if they meet in the playoffs.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's thrown 19TDs to 5 INTs
    his completion % is over 66
    he's on pace for 3600 passing yards
    his QBR is 106.3

his arm is doing just fine

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope he doesn't.

kevda5n9ne and Acad23 like this.
  10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Sure, but since the Ravens have the #1 rushing team in the NFL, teams have to cheat on that side of the ball.
    I'm not saying he's not talented, I'm just saying there hasn't been that many running QBs that have had extended success relying on running their entire careers.
    I think the jury is still out.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Those stats are deceptively high because defenses have to devote most of their attention to the run game (which includes QB runs). RG3 also had really good passing stats until he lost the ability to beat teams with his legs. Having said that, at least for the class of 2018 QB rankings (and the MVP race for that matter), QB runs count too. And currently, the rest of the 2018 class are all below average QBs, so it isn't much of a contest.

12. GasedAndConfused

many of them didn't have the arm talent either. he doesn't need to run. the threat alone is enough to give him a benefit in the pass game. you need to account for his legs whether he uses them or not. also they are only the number 1 rushing team because of LJ. without him they would be lucky to be middle of the pack. it's not like they have prime peterson back there and teams have to stack the box to stop him form getting 200 yards so the pass game opens up

13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

people say this every year....then the playoffs come and defense and pocket passers win the super bowl 17-3. Lol

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

the pats have completely skewed every stat though in regard to superbowls. they've made 9 of the past 18 and won 6 of the past 18. most franchises don't have 6 total in the history of the league let alone in less then a 20 year span. if anything with all the turnover it proves good coaching wins a SB

15. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

See, and i don't even mean this in a negative way and im not looking for a fight bc i repsect you and your posts - they are quality and i enjoy reading what you have to say but i just cant get on board with that.

The kid is a quality kid, almost to a fault. The things we've seen him do for kids (for example) are genuine. The company i work for has had him in a few times and hes broken his own rules to help kids or do something cool for them. Not even in an underprivileged sense when there are cameras on him - hes just a genuine dude, who really seems to get an understand his position bc he took the long way and can appreciate where hes gotten to and enjoys it as an athlete should. He hasnt been handed anything and seems to get the responsibility that comes w his position but is able to genuinely have fun doing what he loves. That may change someday, but he said he remembers going to a giants game as a kid and getting snubbed and made a promise to himself hed do everything he can never to become that guy if he was ever able to earn the chance. Maybe its seeing his presence much more being in wny, but after some of the tools weve had through here its refreshing to see a kid from a west coast city thats blue collar like buffalo bc its totally authentic and genuine. Ive heard Allen critiqued and criticized for anything and everything but never for that. Hell, I wanted Rosen followed by Darnold and cant explain the feeling of dissapointment i experienced on draft night but regardless of the future, Allen has 100% won me over.

Here is an EXCELLENT article of how and why people are starting to turn around on their initial negative stance. Some people just plain dont like him, will never admit their wrong and even if he won the SB wouldn't give him his due. Thats ok, thats just a stubborn person. Its not a perfect world and those people exist. Maybe its a Browns fan whos frustrated and thinks maybe CLE shld have made a different choice and therefore wants them all to fail. Maybe its a dude who still thinks even though he was quoting a modern family episode that his tweets were racist. Maybe they just cant stand the name Josh. BUT- Those who have dont dislike/hate him but didnt think theyd see him as a quality fb player and needed to be proved wrong sound like this and its a good way to explain how Bills fans feel. I couldnt have said it better myself and i hope you take a couple min and read the whole thing. Its not a puff piece, nor a proclamation of his arrival - but an honest non biased assessment of where hes at that i think is quite fair.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...rterback-perception?__twitter_impression=true

#55 Billsfan1212, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Is this a serious post? His personality? Really? Who gives a fuck? The guy makes plays. Maybe not as many as you'd want to see, and maybe he's not Johnny Unitas but if the worst thing you can say is his personality is deficient, fuck, sign me up.

17. Footballgod214

I'm with you on that. Lamar seems really dynamic, but think back.

We all dreamed about how great things would be if we had drafted Andrew Luck, but he just couldn't stay on the field and now retired early.

We were fantasizing about having Kaepernick or RG3 when they came out, then they both faded pretty fast.

Last season Mahomes seemed to be unbeatable for years to come, and we kicked Macc for not getting him...now Mahone's star seems to have faded a bit.

This year it's Lamar. He looks like a QB we could win 10 rings with, if only. But 2 years from now he may be just 'pretty good'.

So ya, let's stick with Sam. He's smart. He can scramble with the best of them to buy time and he throws dimes on the run. He has a strong arm and can hit any pass, even across the field. If JoeD can beef up the oline, Sam can be as good as anyone, and his game doesn't beg for an injury on any given play.

18. Footballgod214

No. I said there were rumors being spread that after his first (disastrous) season the Ravens were thinking about it. So they had Mornhinweg make a statement saying the whole Lamar/WR thing was just a quirky statement he had made to someone, and they never seriously considered it. I just thought the whole thing was funny.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Luck, Kap, RG3, Mahomes, and Lamar have played at levels Sam hasn't come anywhere near. So far, Sam's career has been more comparable to Geno than any of those guys. Yes, Luck retired early, Kap regressed and then became controversial, and RG3 busted after his injuries took away his running. But even those guys did more for their teams than Sam has done here. And for someone whose star seems to have faded a bit, Mahomes has thrown 19 TDs to 2 INTs this year.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I only discussed his personality because it was brought up previously. I agree with you, I wouldn't give a shit either. He does make plays, he's gonna be a pain in the Jets ass for years