2020 Retain thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not fair at all. It has been made clear that the idea is that some should be re-signed as backup/depth players. No way we have eight new o-linemen going into next season, so what's so wrong with saying some of these guys will stick around?

I want to draft two or three new linemen and hopefully bring one or two in via free agency, but we'll still need depth. Some of our starters would be okay as backups.

NCJetsfan, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Right but I think some of these guys were being looked at as starters. I'd throw the entire thing out and retain none of them as starters. Maybe one guard spot. The rest can be canned. Or if you replace both guards I can live with Beachum at LT again if we miss out on the top guys in the draft or FA.

I noted several teams that have completely thrown their lines out and gotten an entire new unit below in another thread. I was actually surprised when looking through it that it can be done and has been done recently. Probably because it's the most affordable position group to shuffle around.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Harrison, Winters and Edoga are under contract along with some dude named McDermott I've never heard of. Harrison seems like a solid backup. Edoga will be in the roster.

I'd cut Winters and then I think you can bring Alex Lewis back on a modest deal. Teams only usually carry 9, so you can bring back one more out of Compton (5 teams in 5 years mind you), Shell, Beachum, Kalil (gone), Qvale (IR), McDermott and someone named Koloamatangi?

Out of that group of losers I'd take Shell back and try to convert him into a guard, or let him be the swing tackle. If we feel strongly that were getting a left tackle in FA (Castonzo - 32 next year) or the draft (Thomas, Wirfs, Jackson, etc.) Then you let Beachum walk. He's the only real NFL lineman on the roster.

What we do will Beachum and then FA will obviously directly impact what we do with our first pick. If you re-sign Beachum and sign a center and guard you give yourself flexibility in the draft. If you let him walk and don't go after Castonzo were basically locking ourselves into taking a first round tackle.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

At this time, here's my list from the 2020 free agents:

Return as starter
    - CB Brian Poole (nickel) - great pickup
    - OLB Jordan Jenkins - looks like a fixture as one OLB
    - P Lac Edwards - been solid overall

Return as depth/competition
    - OT Kelvin Beachum - let's see how he looks the rest of the season. This would not prevent an LT from being drafted
    - OG Alex Lewis - maybe as starter or likely as depth at least - let's see the rest of the season
    - WR Demaryius Thomas - maybe as a #4 pending price, but on the fence about him
    - WR Robby Anderson - also on the fence about him, but let's see the rest of the season and his price
    - TE Ryan Griffin - nice pickup; should have regular playing time next year too at this rate
    - S Rontez Miles - decent depth and special teamer
    - OLB Brandon Copleand - on the fence, but let's see the rest of the year
    - ILB Neville Hewitt - especially if Williamson is cut
    - OG Tom Compton - depth, but let's see how he looks as a starter
    - RB Bilal Powell - looks like he can still play. Open to a 1-yr
    - ILB James Burgess - showing enough to brought back to camp
    - CB Arthur Maulet - has had some good games, worth bringing back as depth
    - K Sam Ficken - worth bringing back as competition
    - OLB Frankie Luvu - to compete for roster spot

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think we have much of a choice on Thomas/Anderson. Our receivers are thin and free agency is thin. It's not ideal but I think we have to try to keep both. I think Anderson is trash but he's more serviceable than David Clowney was.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Keep both and draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. Do the same in 2021. I know it's waaay to early to think about that draft, but I like Ja'Marr Chase as a possible WR prospect.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! I didn't know that other teams had done that. If they can, then the Jets possibly can. I'm sure that it isn't easy and things have to fall just right, but as you proved, it can be done. In an ideal world, I'd rather have 5 new starters next season and have Beacham, Lewis, and maybe Compton as depth, or if they can find a younger or cheaper depth OG that as good as Compton or even Lewis, fine. I just know we'll probably have limited cap space, and with needing to re-sign Jenkins, Poole, Lac Edwards and our other FAs, as well as hopefully sign 2-3 outside FAs, it may not be feasible for the Jets, but I sure hope it is.

8. NCJetsfan

I agree on cutting Winters, and bringing back Lewis and Beacham as depth. Even if we draft a top LT, we still have to keep Beacham imo. We need depth, and there's no way that we should go into the draft without a viable starting LT. If that's Castonzo, OK, but we have to have depth/insurance going into the draft. I have to disagree on Shell, especially at tackle. Why try to convert Shell to OG, when Compton has lots of experience at OG, and there are quite a few potential FA OGs?

Even re-signing Beacham, or adding Castonzo, I still think we should probably be locked into taking a first round tackle. That rookie tackle can start at RT in 2020 and then move over to LT in 2021. There are no guarantees any of the LT prospects will still be available at our pick in the 2nd round, and missing out on getting or new LT in this strong OT draft would be criminal imo.

9. JetFanInPA

I'd lean toward this approach rather than letting them walk, but how they look the rest of the season and their price tags will make a big difference. As will Quincy Enunwa's status, though unfortunately I don't think you can depend on that.

I generally like the idea of bringing back more players as depth than having to fill a whole roster. I think there are a lot of those guys on the roster now, but unfortunately many of them are having to start.

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

In a just world, we would have at least 8 or 9 new linemen next year, and the entire practice squad would be filled with linemen, too.
    If the Jets need some veterans, we should get them from elsewhere. No O-linemen on this roster, save perhaps Beachum, should even be a backup in this league.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

I think free agency is going to be an absolute war for these top offensive lineman too, which sucks.

Arizona, Tampa Bay and Denver all have more cap space than us with equally bad offensive lines. Seattle has more than us as well although they still have to pay Clowney and generally lay low in FA.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%. Very well said. Unfortnately we're not keeping all but a good number yes.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree. That's the major reason why I don't think we'll have 5 new starters on the OL next season. I think we're going to have to build our OL via the draft, and it's probably going to take 2-3 offseasons to get our OL where we want it. I hope that I'm wrong and we can be one of those teams to have a new OL next season, but I'll believe it when I see it.

14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I know others have been added to the list along the way but was very happy to see Griffin resigned. Next on my list would be Poole. Be nice to have the slot covered and not have to go into the offseason needing another cb.

Thought it was interesting to see Demarius Thomas named a captain this week. He's been a nice addition. Hopefully they can resign him. The line has played well with the addition of Harrison, Lewis and Compton. Harrison is signed for next year. Both Compton and Lewis are not. Like I mentioned Compton above or Lewis. Sign one or both for depth and try to keep Beachum. Our best linemen and would really help.

Wondering how everyone feels about Robby. I think the fans like him and he has great games and then he doesn't have a stat. I like him but feel we could resign DT and either sign another veteran or with the deep wr class draft a receiver who could do what Robby is doing. How do others feel?

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ive been a Beachum skeptic but when he was out earlier in the year the pass blocking was abysmal. Its possible he's just an average NFL tackle but there isn't an average NFL offensive lineman on the team so that makes him the best one. Should probably try to bring him back, even if there is a rookie draft pick, just to stabilize the unit

JetFanInPA likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I'm adding Arthur Maulet to the list of players who should be retained. He's played pretty darned well and is very good against the run.

JetFanInPA and AJT73 like this.
  17. JetFanInPA

Emphasize Compton also. Again, let's see how he plays the rest of the year, but looks like quality depth at the very least.

18. NCJetsfan

Yes, either Compton has been playing pretty darned well, or he fits in with the chemistry of the OL and they're finally gelling.

It's starting to look like we have a little more talent than we thought we did. We'll see how he, Beacham and Lewis fare against the the Ravens, Steelers and the Bills, but if they hold their own against those teams, they should definitely be brought back for depth/competition.

19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I look at the offensive line situation and I think Gase and Douglas saw a veteran in Kalil who could help this team. I don't blame them for the signing. I do blame them for sticking with him too long. Something wasn't gelling and once he left the line looked better. Add in Winters being injured and ineffective and it did not look good.

This is tough for everyone especially when it is a respected veteran but sometimes when players aren't playing well they have to change it up. Harrison like last year is showing he is a capable center. Knowing that he is there is no need to spend at center. Definitely sign someone without breaking the bank or draft someone but know that he does mesh well with the line. Harrison, Beachum, Comtpon, Lewis and Edoga if possible heading into 2020 draft and free agency is a good start. I would like them to add a young left tackle and guards.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

100% bring back Beachum. He is a SOLID starter. It's not a sure thing we get a stud LT if we keep winning and the BPA (OL) could be interior. Personally, I would draft Alex Leatherwood who projects as a LT/LG in NFL...more so guard but could move out Left if Beachum gets hurt.

FJF likes this.