Question for the old timers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Nov 15, 2019.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear that MetLife is a distant 3rd from the opinions in this thread. No surprise. The ONLY thing I like better about it is that it's not called Giants Stadium.

RPOZ51, Acad23 and mrjet80 like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yikes.....they played Seattle 5 times at Shea which included losses via flea-flickers, blocked punts, fake field goals, turnovers galore, game changing penalties, bad calls by the officials, the only road shutout by an expansion team ( to this day ) and the hottest day in Jets Shea history what could go wrong did go wrong whenever Seattle came in. 0-5 .....

When the Jets left Shea the Seattle jinx ended.

jago and CBG like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You told him that face to face? Good for you! Not surprised you didn’t get much of a reaction. The Jets are a toy to the Johnson brothers.

I get the sense Chris cares a little more than his brother but he simply doesn’t know how to run an NFL franchise.....

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My condolences Matt..we both are long suffering

Yes, I suppose both Venues might look like Palaces if the Team was always winning

While Shea was just a BaseballStadium used secondarily for football the Jets fans are now accustomed to getting sloppy seconds again at MetLife

When we are both long gone the new owners might build a beauty like the newer ones out West

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Keep word is long, Nyjets012, I sound like Chimp 69 but 50 years of nothing....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I get that NYC didn't "need" two football stadiums.

I don't understand how both teams ended up in a shitty one.

horsehead, stinkyB, RPOZ51 and 3 others like this.
  7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The first game I went to was in Nov 1977 against Jim Zorn and the Seahags. The wind was nasty, much worse than any game I went to at Giants stadium or this new trash can at the meadowlands. Of course the Jets got shut out by a team in their 2nd season ever. On a positive note my friends dad who took us let us sip the brandy he brought with him... that helped a bit to warm us up and set the stage for me bringing a nip to late December games the last 25 years. FYI...Yukon Jack 1/2 pint comes in a plastic container and that bit of sweetnees in the flavor helps it go down better in cold weather. I've never had yukon other than at the stadium.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  8. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Yep. Just when you think the Jets might be turning a corner, bam comes reality. That Seattle game was miserable. It was a dreary atmosphere.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

They would've been better extending the concourses at the old stadium attaching a retractable roof and calling it a day. The new stadium is too big, has priced out the real fan and thr Coach's Club makes it look like no one sits a the 50's. Brilliantly built and makes it look like no on is at the game. They could've done something special. Instead we have something that looks like a big air conditioner and a huge shopping mall that took 17 years to build and no one wants to go because no one wants to go to malls anymore. They would've been better anywhere else.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Not saying that I personally witnessed that sort of behavior, but my brother still has a seat-back in his basement somewhere. Sure it was the last Jets game there, but it's not like the Mets didn't need the seats in 4 months.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

It's funny, but I live maybe three miles from the stadium. My neighbors and I call it the Big Air Conditioner.

Also, I once took one of my buddies to a draft night open-house. He said the place reminds him of a big mall with a football field in the middle of it.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  12. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The excuse Jets' representatives gave me was that the price of labor was prohibitive for building an enclosed stadium, even for the resources of both teams collectively.

This was their response to me comparing the place to other new enclosed stadiums around the league.

I once sat in the very last row at the top of the stadium, a the 50 yard line. I was directly under a little roof-like structure that drained the water runoff directly onto my seat.

I told my girlfriend that the Romans did a better job of building the Colosseum! Even 2 thousand years ago, it had a retractable roof (velarium).

13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Lol. I call it the big air conditioner too. When sitting in there the winds from behind are awful. Really sad with all that money this is what we get.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Shea was shitty place to see a game and a decent place to tailgate. Giant Stadium was better for both. But its not apples to apples regarding the football atmosphere, most of our fans were from Long Island, the real "I hate the Giants type fans", not the "I like both" crowd. So Shea was our true home and it was never the same crowd once we left because most didn't come or if they did the traffic scared them away. But compared to what we have now, Giant Stadium and the crowd was great, especially the first 5 -8 years after leaving Shea. Of course its all about the team, and with Kenny "O' and the defense we had our team was really good. And then... all the crappy HC brought us down until Parcells. And then the place rocked again.. and then it sucked until Rex and since then it has sucked with the PSL ending any chance of ever being great again. In my mind, no matter how good they get, it will never be like the early 80's in Shea.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

even on TV the new stadium doesn't look aesthetically pleasing. The camera view during gameplay, marketing folks go to great links (for other teams) to make that view look like an intimate and exciting atmosphere, even if its not.

Most of the Jets games you only see on TV the big sideline barrier pushed way back and cold, grey seats behind it. Makes sitting in your living room and watching for free much more enticing.

just terrible job all around on the new stadium

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Not that I think it's a good idea, but in the 80s I saw many people smoking pot at a Jet game in Giants stadium.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

Only if the ramp spirals count as being "in" Giants Stadium.

dmw likes this.
  18. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Shit you caught me. Gate D ramp at halftime. God, I miss those times

stinkyB likes this.
  19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Another thing I remember at spirals at Giants Stadium was someone would always throw a dollar over the spirals and many people did the same. When their was a bunch of money at the bottom someone would go in there and grab it all the while being belted with beer bottles and other objects that would come flying down at his/her head.

JetsNation06 and jilozzo like this.
  20. LogeSection2RowJ

That was crazy. We must have hung out at the same spriral. We've heard reports of flashing incidents occurring at the ramp spirals but I never saw that happen on my spiral. What you describe happened every game. Before some readers get outraged (yeah, right) let me add that the person getting pelted knew exactly what was in store for them. The pot (different story) had to be sweetened with enough cash for a gladiator to enter the arena. Then all hell broke loose! At least one time, the gladiator had a rain poncho on so he came prepared.