2018 1st round QB Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 18, 2019.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

ATT COMP YARDS TD's INT

Allen - 317-191 for 2175 yards 13 TD's 7 INT's
    Darnold - 234-148 for 1600 yards 11 TD'S 10 INT'S
    Jackson -279-185 for 2258 yards 19 TD's 5 INT's
    Mayfield -341-202 for 2394 yards 11 TD's 12 INT's

It's Jackson by far followed by Allen, then Darnold and Mayfield. Jackson has had a great year with Allen having a good year.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i said here early i wanted us to trade down and grab lamaar. that was before we traded up to 3 and back when I was convinced darnold was going 1st overall. I wanted lamaar and extra picks over allen, rosen, or mayfield. we could have done that and had at least 4 extra 2nd rounders and maybe more. but everyone here laughed at it and said lamaar doesn't have any arm and can't be a QB

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't think Lamar even sniffs the success he is having in Baltimore here in NY. The coaching and FO in Baltimore is head & shoulders above us. I have the same belief about Mahomes as well. The only one I think who could have had success with our shitty situation is Watson.

Section 336 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That isn't what you said. You explicitly said you would rather have Rosen than Jackson and extra picks.

Noam likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

as i said, before we traded up to 3. when we were sitting at 6 i said trade back for jackson

https://www.forums.theganggreen.com...-discussion-thread.88957/page-17#post-3678553

after we traded up to 3 i knew jackson and a trade back would never be an option so i abandoned that to see what was realistic

Edit: found the thread https://www.forums.theganggreen.com/threads/a-crazy-and-way-to-early-draft-scenerio.90039/

and man outside of WR st brown i really nailed it. Imagine if we had jackson, mcglinchy at OT and Wynn at C

#25 GasedAndConfused, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Yikes... talk about not being able to admit you were wrong. This is a PERFECT example of what Allen is up against. Luckily, most around the NFL can admit they might have been wrong and have changed their tune. Im not saying Allen deserves to be number 1 or even number 2 - but this list is just wonky man. No objectivity. Ill bet you had a similar list order on draft day. It isnt in tune with whats real - its in tune with you WANT in fantasy land. Everyone else who made a list has fair points that can be argued. THIS list is just so bonkers I cant even begin.YOU just like who you like and thats how youve ranked them. Blatant homerism with terrible stubbornness due to the inability to admit at this moment in time - you were wrong. Its as simple as that, and from reading your other posts over the years i think you are better than that.

#26 Billsfan1212, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  7. Billsfan1212

8. Billsfan1212

Correct, or many other places for that matter. Its the perfect storm of Greg Roman 100% committing to Lamar's gifts. It may not be a long term thing (as this list will likely change) but even when he had Tyrod here, there were flashes of this success but Taylor is no where near the talent jackson is. We used to have people gripe we traded the pick that was used for Mahomes. Thats fine, it gives people something to complain about bc people love to complain- BUT- had Mahomes come here, he wouldnt be the same qb we all know and love today. Its why last year i was pretty adamant that this 2018 class ended up where they should. Sam and NY are a great fit bc he has the tools to take you guys where you need to be (assuming Gase doesn't mess it up) the same way Allen is perfect for Buffalo, the same way Jackson is perfect for the Ravens.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

As I stated, I was confused as to what the rankings were. If we are just ranking on team success and stats right now, I don't think a thread needs to be made because it is pretty obvious. So I ranked them how I feel their careers would be.

Pre-Draft:
    1. Sam Darnold
    2. Baker Mayfield
    3. Josh Rosen
    4. Josh Allen
    5. Lamar Jackson

Overall Career Potential:
    1. Darnold
    2. Mayfield
    3. Jackson
    4. Allen
    5. Rosen
    All great chances for success, besides Rosen.

Careers So Far:
    1. Lamar Jackson
    2. Baker Mayfield
    3. Josh Allen
    4. Sam Darnold
    5. Mason Rudolph
    6. Josh Rosen

I liked all the QB's from this draft class to a point. Including Allen. I just think Sam, Baker, and Lamar are better overall QB's, because they are. People said Allen would be a bust, I did not feel that way, and he is proving he is not.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. I like Lamar and his highlights (2019) are amazing. But on the big stage last season he completed I think 4 passes for a 0.0 QBR, and a loss. Harbaugh unleashed him this year (running) and it's paid off. I know Sam scrambles at times to buy time, but that's different than taking on LBers running down the middle, which seems to be Lamar's bread and butter plays (Lamar can run something like a 4.3 aka Mike Vick). I'd be worried if Lamar was our QB, even with his yr 2 success. He might be one ACL from RG3/Kaep territory.

dmw and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post. That is why he is #3 on my list. Obviously if he keeps this pace and gets even better, plus stays healthy, he will be #1. Not just of this class, but in the entire NFL.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'll give the enemy a little support :) I wanted Josh Allen more than any of the other QB's in the draft except for Darnold.

And to be honest so far Josh Allen has been almost exactly what I pictured as a pro. Certainly not elite or anything.... I assume he's not going to the Hall of Fame, but he's big, strong, durable, makes exciting plays and there is no doubt you can be a playoff-making team with him. Super Bowls? To be honest its probably not likely but he at least gives you a chance to compete.

I don't watch every Bills game but another thing that stands out about him to me is that he just seems to be a real good kid and a really good teammate. I think he comes out way ahead of Rosen and Shake 'n Baker in the critical foundation department.

Noam likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Anyone taking Sam over Lamar Jackson at this point is just being a homer. You can cry situation all you want, but he's still not exactly throwing to big time receivers.

He is a far superior player. You can use the injury argument that says you will predict his career will turn into RG3's but he's single handedly created a Super Bowl window for them that would have never been there with any of these other passers.

I hope Sam becomes Brett Favre. But right now? Lamar Jackson is the likely MVP and the best running quarterback we've ever seen.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"I hope Sam becomes Brett Favre"

He may already be at this point....without the beer and pills.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mahomes would be a beast any and everywhere.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I forget which game I was watching recently, but it may have been the Bills. The QB had ALL DAY to throw. After watching what Darnold has been through, it was hard to believe that a QB could have that much time to throw. That makes a HUGE difference for the QB.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think has a lot of potential that he will reach with a better O-line, but right now Allen has better results.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

lol i see that alot for other teams. especially other teams playing us

dmw, Jets69 and Noam like this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

PPT today mentioned that the Ravens brought in Marty Mornhinweg (a year removed from the team) to deny reports the Ravens drafted Lamar ultimately to convert him to WR. So basically they loved his athleticism but weren't sold on his stand tall in the pocket and throw 50 lases a game. And they obviously still aren't sold with Lamar's 2nd coming of Gale Sayers impressions taking over more and more of the playbook.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can't even quite understand what you're talking about. The Ravens didn't bring him to deny the reports. The report statements and how it played out are below. He supposedly said it in passing to the coaches. They didn't draft him to play receiver. I can only think of one instance where a first round QB was taken and they tried to convert to receiver right away (Matt Jones - 1st round 2005 draft to the Jaguars) and he was out of the league after his rookie contract.

What does the play selection matter? Would you shell Lamar Jackson up in the pocket and force him to throw 45 times a game? Or would you take his Michael Vick-esque speed and run him around so you can win games and try to get the #1 seed and win the SB?

Jets69 likes this.