Chris Johnson: Gase will coach Jets in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wish I shared your faith, but I've been burned too often by them in the past. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the well-reasoned response.

papapump and Mogriffjr like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

This article is from the sidebar if the forum. It's long, but it really gives a reasoned justification for why many Jets fans are getting to the point - if they haven't already reached it - of giving up on this team:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/11/14/20965017/the-loss-of-hope-the-loss-of-fandom

In essence, all they've given fans is empty promises, and exhortations to "Hang in there! We're turning the corner! We're moving in the right direction!", but what actual substance backs up any of those statements? Nine years without a playoff appearance! How is that "moving in the right direction"? And why should anyone believe anything the Johnsons say? Really, the only argument that can be made for continuing to support this team is the need to justify the monumental waste of time, energy, emotion, and money we've invested. But, like a broken gambler who continues to believe that the next bet will make him whole, we just keep sinking deeper into it.

The Jets are a sucker's team.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. The best that can be said is that the Jets are moving in a direction. Whether it's the right direction is debatable. I thought Maccagnan had a plan and thought he should have been given a little more time to implement it. It was not a plan I agreed with, (hated the idea of a tank season) but that didn't mean the plan would not have borne fruit if given time. Now, I have no idea what the plan is. In addition, I have no idea anymore what can be done to fix this franchise. I'm resigned to the prospect that this team will not win another championship in my lifetime (I'm 72), so why obsess over it. I will always be a Jet fan. I have to be. Like Mr. Spock, the green is in my blood. Nevertheless, I don't look at the future with despair. I look forward to the next game, root for them to win, if they do, it's a good week, if they don't, do my usual Monday morning QBing, and look forward to the next game.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I admire - and pity - your optimism. I always enjoy your posts, even when I don't agree with them. You're one of the reasons I hang out here.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that compliment. I don't consider it optimism but more like resignation. The Jets have the QB, so that's half the battle. The rest is putting guys around him who can play, combine it with good coaching and an organization that people want to play for. The last three items require a degree of serendipity which is something this organization has lacked since '69.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it’s almost like the players are going out of their way to make sure gase gets the credit.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

The biggest problem isn't Gase coming back. It's the fact that the owners are utter buffoons.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

when you score a TD on the opening drive 4 weeks in a row, it's a sign of a good gameplan. credit where it's due and it's the longest active streak. we all know gase hasn't had much to work with with a bad o-line, injuries, and darnold missing 3 weeks. no herndon, no enunwa. our projected starting LG, RG, and C all done for the year. Our LT missed a few a games. It was too early to judge.

with that said, my issue with gase is the lack of adjustment. when his gameplan works we get rolling. darnold looks good. the offense puts up points. we get a couple of nice trick plays here and there. but when it doesn't work off the bat, he's stubborn and doesn't adjust and keeps the same plan and that is the shitty part and IDK if he'll ever change

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The idea that being a Jets fan is somehow tied up into management promises is crazy talk. Not to say you shouldn't hate incompetent management, it's a constitutional right of sports fans across the globe.

I love pro-football and the Jets are my team. I chose them because they were my local team and they played on the grounds of the 64 NY Worlds fair one of the greatest memories of my childhood. 20 minutes by train from my family home on LI. Hope had nothing to do with it. I'm a fan of pro-football and the Jets were in my childhood backyard and memories. They were new and fun and I completely bought in. Being a fan is like being married to someone you love deep in your soul. Till death do we part...

I will root for the Jets because it's my fate. My fate has made me a fan of a bad team that's in a competition. I accept it and understand that I have no real power to change it. The idea that I'm a fan because of a promise by ownership is insane. I wish it was so simple. When you root for a team for over 50 years a lot of life has gone by. Family and friends dead and buried, good times and bad in the rear view mirror. The Jets are my team. Wait until next year is my mantra. It's not hope or a choice. It's war and peace, life and death, love and hate. I'm in until the fat lady sings. Maybe I shouldn't accept it but I also don't have to take it personally.

Acceptance isn't giving up and it doesn't make you a sucker. I'm by no means an optimist or a homer but I really hate the narrative that I'm owned a winner for being a fan of competitive sports.

PS: Fuck Woody Johnson.

#90 Biggs, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Br4d, Cman68, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

90%of sports fandom is tribal, instilled at a young age. The other 10% is front-running Pats fans.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Like fucking poetry, man. Beautiful.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'll grudgingly accept Adam Gase for another year...

But can we get rid of the short chubby guy that throws the red challenge flag?

He bugs me...